Uniden Remote Head Project

ra7850

Hello to the group,

I have skimmed through the pages of this project and find it quite interesting. I would like to try out the system with my SDS200. I am not clear on one thing, and I apologize for upfront because I have not read every post and might have missed it. But, am I able to download the RPI image and build this system up myself without going through the website that the designer(s) created? Or is ordering a system through the website the only way to obtain this particular display system?

I would greatly appreciate any responses.

Regards,

The project uses custom written software. You can build the hardware device, but without the code, you'll just have a touchscreen raspberry pi.

Robert

ra7850

Hello to the group,

I have skimmed through the pages of this project and find it quite interesting. I would like to try out the system with my SDS200. I am not clear on one thing, and I apologize for upfront because I have not read every post and might have missed it. But, am I able to download the RPI image and build this system up myself without going through the website that the designer(s) created? Or is ordering a system through the website the only way to obtain this particular display system?

I would greatly appreciate any responses.

Regards,

The project is pretty much on hold due to lack of hardware, mainly the Raspberry Pi's. They are just not available in bulk, and when you can find them you can only get 1. In addition, the costs have more than tripled for the Raspberry PI.

Robert

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
The project is pretty much on hold due to lack of hardware, mainly the Raspberry Pi's. They are just not available in bulk, and when you can find them you can only get 1. In addition, the costs have more than tripled for the Raspberry PI.

Robert
Hello Robert, Thank you for the reply. You told me basically what I had figured. I have several RPI model 4 boards here and was hoping to put one to use. However, if the source code is proprietary, I guess it will not do me much good.

Thank you again..

sfb88

Just a suggestion. Is it possible for the project creators to build the device at a possibly reduced price for those who can provide their own Raspberry Pi to them?

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I like the Proclip mount available for my daily driver << HERE >> but I've been running into issues trying to find a suitable holder for my SDS100 to work with it. Once I get that figured out, I'll order both.

Tjboisclair

I have a Pi 4, a touch screen display for it, a 3d printed case I made, basically all the hardware. Been going back a few pages, is there a link to the software for this since I have everything else. This *is* open source software since it's on open architecture, right?

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
I have a Pi 4, a touch screen display for it, a 3d printed case I made, basically all the hardware. Been going back a few pages, is there a link to the software for this since I have everything else. This *is* open source software since it's on open architecture, right?

im in the same boat. nobody will post a link to this project. i have all the equipment

Tjboisclair

im in the same boat. nobody will post a link to this project. i have all the equipment

I certainly hope it is free open source software, considering what the Raspberry Pi is all about. Throw in 3d printing too, it's the spirit of sharing software.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
I certainly hope it is free open source software, considering what the Raspberry Pi is all about. Throw in 3d printing too, it's the spirit of sharing software.

I doubt they are giving this project away for free. I wouldn’t give it away for free if I had to do all the research and coding.

Tjboisclair

I doubt they are giving this project away for free. I wouldn’t give it away for free if I had to do all the research and coding.

I'm confused as why they would not. All the hardware they're using is for the purpose of open source software development and the cost is of that hardware itself. If they built a module that'd be something else but the radios just communicate over telnet. Nobody builds proprietary software on a Raspberry Pi, not sharing it is unethical.

@ra7850 would you please share your github location or other source code repository?

Last edited:

wyomingmedic

The Pi uses the Broadcom chip and requires a proprietary Raspi-Firmware to boot.

I suppose if you want to pretend it is all "open source", that is your business. But insinuating that someone writing code and requesting that the code be compensated isn't ethical, seems greatly flawed. If it were, then Raspberry Pi is unethical.

Feel free to write your own software and publish it. Or don't...I really don't have a dog in the fight. But don't lambaste someone for not giving away their efforts under the guise of "open source".

Tjboisclair

I'm not a software developer, but I do follow the Raspberry Pi Foundation and its projects and utilize their hardware since it promotes free software development. It still doesn't make sense to charge $300 for common open source hardware only and not offer the software separately and is the only hobbyist project I can think of that uses a Pi but doesn't offer or share the software seperately. Especially when there's complaints about hardware shortages needing to justify the cost. It's essentially selling an entire computer system to run one piece of software. Some people already have the platform needed so why not also offer it separately or share it so others can work on it?

wyomingmedic

It might not make sense, but that is their prerogative. I should point out that they have not ruled out making the software available to those who have the hardware. I would assume that this is coming soon.

But again, it might not. We aren't allowed to dictate what a persons time is worth. To demand uncompensated use of time is quite unethical in itself. Plus, folks being abused verbally because they refuse to give away their time for free will probably cause others to be less giving of their time/time created ideas. We're already seeing it now in the field of firefighting/EMS. 20-25 years ago, volunteer fire departments had waiting lists of people wanting to join. Then suddenly, the training requirements and certification hours began to pile up and now, most places are begging for volunteers if not already closing outright. Not that I'm saying certification is a bad thing (I was a firefighter and paramedic for many years), but now people are all over the industry news whining "People don't want to volunteer anymore". No...People will volunteer still, but we've charged them too much of their time. We've abused people's time for so long, it almost seemed like we were OWED that time. SO when the hours dry up, leadership stamps their feet and pouts and blames the person who was already giving up their free time...for not giving up more.

If mancow decides to hold onto his code and not make it available, so be it. But calling it an "unethical" move is like begging on the corner then being mad at the person when they don't give you something.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
If @mancow decides to hang on to his intellectual property, I have absolutely no problem with that. People like him put in a lot of time and effort to make our hobby more enjoyable by making some really cool stuff. Who are we to act like selfish communists and demand they give away all their work and effort for nothing? Where is the incentive to make new things for the community if there is no benefit to them? Should Uniden simply give away the scanners they make and go broke, never to be able to make another scanner again? If you want to give away your time and work for nothing, come on over to my house and weed my flower bed.

Tjboisclair

I guess I expected the radio and scanner community's approach to software development and code sharing on GNU/Linux systems to align more with how other community development software projects operate, IE, as a more collaborative effort for development (this isn't communist by the way, it's the popular method for development on Raspberry Pi), especially for something so specific which is essentially reselling hardware with an exclusive software package on it. Fine by me if that's how everyone agrees how it should be, but I will not be purchasing hundreds of dollars of equipment I already own just for one piece of software. If the price is reasonable for the use by itself I won't mind paying for it, as I have for ProScan and other projects.