I am at it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The faceplates and shelves from NovexComm have arrived. I am still waiting on the cabinet from AudioRax but that may be well into September before it arrives as it is custom built. The faceplates were custom designed by NovexComm but they were not as difficult to make, just tell them what I want, they drew it out in CAD and after a couple tweaks they sent the design to the water cutter. After that it is a powder coat and shipping.

The OCD part of me had me run out to Ace Hardware for a can of Hammer Black spray paint. In prior builds I could see parts of the DIN sleeve peaking out and they were silver-grey, contrasting with the black radio and faceplates. I spray-painted the DIN sleeves and inserted them into the faceplates and they look much better.

Here are a couple BCT15X's that I had laying around in the garage already with the outer cases removed. They show how close they needed to be to fit a 3u faceplate. This particular faceplate has the mount for the SDS200 to the left, notice the mouse hole for the Ethernet cable? That was suggested by my guy at NovexComm and was a nice touch. It showed that he is familiar with the scanner models as well. IMG_6135.jpeg

Here are all three faceplates, the one on the left fits the IC-7300 or IC-9700 and the one on the right the R8600. Both of these faceplates use shelves to support the radios with the SDS and DIN radios will not. This shows the approximate spacing after they will be installed in the cabinet, there will be about 3/4 to an inch above and below the panels for the cabinet itself.
IMG_6134.jpeg

I am really looking forward to the cabinet getting here! I have everything ready and set up to go. I want to do neat wire management on this build so I have longer power cables that will be cut or bundled to fit. The antenna cables will be managed to the top of the case while the power will be managed to the bottom and I am not sure how the data cables will be routed. Each radio has a USB cable and 4 have Ethernet so I will likely have a switch and a hub in the cabinet as well as a PowerPole panel and multicoupler.

blueknightnyv

The faceplates and shelves from NovexComm have arrived. I am still waiting on the cabinet from AudioRax but that may be well into September before it arrives as it is custom built. The faceplates were custom designed by NovexComm but they were not as difficult to make, just tell them what I want, they drew it out in CAD and after a couple tweaks they sent the design to the water cutter. After that it is a powder coat and shipping.

The OCD part of me had me run out to Ace Hardware for a can of Hammer Black spray paint. In prior builds I could see parts of the DIN sleeve peaking out and they were silver-grey, contrasting with the black radio and faceplates. I spray-painted the DIN sleeves and inserted them into the faceplates and they look much better.

Here are a couple BCT15X's that I had laying around in the garage already with the outer cases removed. They show how close they needed to be to fit a 3u faceplate. This particular faceplate has the mount for the SDS200 to the left, notice the mouse hole for the Ethernet cable? That was suggested by my guy at NovexComm and was a nice touch. It showed that he is familiar with the scanner models as well. View attachment 125315

Here are all three faceplates, the one on the left fits the IC-7300 or IC-9700 and the one on the right the R8600. Both of these faceplates use shelves to support the radios with the SDS and DIN radios will not. This shows the approximate spacing after they will be installed in the cabinet, there will be about 3/4 to an inch above and below the panels for the cabinet itself.
View attachment 125316

I am really looking forward to the cabinet getting here! I have everything ready and set up to go. I want to do neat wire management on this build so I have longer power cables that will be cut or bundled to fit. The antenna cables will be managed to the top of the case while the power will be managed to the bottom and I am not sure how the data cables will be routed. Each radio has a USB cable and 4 have Ethernet so I will likely have a switch and a hub in the cabinet as well as a PowerPole panel and multicoupler.
Will the SDS200 and the R8600 fit in a 3U face plate together ?

N9JIG

Sheriff
One more piece of the puzzle has arrived; the IC-7300 arrived this week. The last part I am waiting for is the new cabinet. That has another 3 weeks or so before it arrives. Once it does the whole thing will just take a couple hours to assemble as all the wiring is ready. I made the harnesses already and have the antenna patch cables ready to roll.

I will be back in AZ in a week or so, hopefully the cabinet arrives early so I can get that done before the son arrives and inherits the bigger desk.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
The kid in me says awesome, looks like fun!
The adult in me says hot damn that much nice equipment must have costed a bloody fortune!
The old curmudgeon in me says why own that many radios when you can't buy more ears to listen to them all at once?

I'm so conflicted 😂

N9JIG

Sheriff
The kid in me says awesome, looks like fun!
The adult in me says hot damn that much nice equipment must have costed a bloody fortune!
The old curmudgeon in me says why own that many radios when you can't buy more ears to listen to them all at once?

I'm so conflicted 😂

There is some truth here... Until recently it was just the wife and me here. She is deaf so I never worried about the volume and quantity of radio traffic emanating from the office (nor other noises, natural or otherwise). Now however the kids live here and I need to watch volume or use headphones. Bit of a lifestyle change but it is worth it!

bharvey2

There is some truth here... Until recently it was just the wife and me here. She is deaf so I never worried about the volume and quantity of radio traffic emanating from the office (nor other noises, natural or otherwise). Now however the kids live here and I need to watch volume or use headphones. Bit of a lifestyle change but it is worth it!

Well, If a guy's gonna have troubles, yours are the kind to have.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Please continue here:

Status
Not open for further replies.