Middlesex Country Police Scanner Suggestions Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricRF

Hi all...

My local municipality (Arlington) has finally gone all-digital, so I'm in the market for a new police scanner. But wading through digital (and trunking) scanners is making my head spin.

When I use the ScannerMaster "View and Compare Your Police Scanner Options" I get:

We're Sorry
It appears that we're suddenly very popular and as a result we were unable to serve this page.

Please click here to try again.

I've tried this many times over a couple of days. Is it broken? On ZipScanners.com, the recommendations are the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 scanners. These are kind of pricey, and are simulcast capable. I don't know who around here uses simulcast. How can I find out who does?

Question #1: What agencies in Middlesex County, MA use simulcast?
Question #2: What will happen if I use a non-simulcast scanner (aside from not being able to receive the agencies that use simulcast)?

Aside from these two scanners, can someone recommend any others for my region? The main towns/cities I tune into are Arlington & Newton

And tangentially, Question #3: Neither the SDS100 or SDS200 are listed on the Uniden website at https://uniden.com/collections/scanners. Is this a bad omen? They are available on ScannerMaster and ZipScanners.

Thanks for any/all help!
-Eric

w1bp

Premium Subscriber
I think the lowest-cost scanner would be the Whistler WS-1040, which does P25 Phase I, which I think would work for Arlington. You would also be able to hear Mass State Police on their current trunked radio system.

There is a Commonwealth of Mass Interoperable Radio System P25 Phase II trunking system in the Metro Boston area. To hear that you'd need something that will do P25 Phase II. The Uniden BCD325P2 or BCD996P2 would work for that. BCD436HP and BCD536HP would both work too.

An advantage to the BCD436HP and BCD536HP is that they come with a database of frequencies built in and their programming software is free. You could get it out of the box, put in your zip code, select which services you want to hear, and be listening without computer programming.

The SDS100 and SDS200 are the latest and greatest and might enjoy them if you want to be at that price level.

All are available on Amazon and Scanner Master. Scanner Master isn't cheap, but they're a local Massachusetts business.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Scanner Master is a Massachusetts business? I didn't know that... good to hear though. Thanks!
Yes, located in Holliston a little ways off 495. I've been there a couple times. You can walk right in and buy something if you're too impatient to wait for shipping like me

EricRF

Ah! But their website says Note: We do not have walk-in hours at our Holliston, MA location. You must have shocked them on your entry!🤪
But as you say, they are more expensive (by about $20 for the BCD436HP, which is my current front-runner... but the SDS100 is so pretty!!!)

EricRF

No but You Do It electronics in Needham may still sell Uniden scanners.
I've been going there since they were only one story! Their stock of scanners has dwindled quite a bit.The SDS100 are listed on their web site but back-ordered, for the standard current price of $649. I'm thinking of driving up to the Ham Radio Outlet.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Ah! But their website says Note: We do not have walk-in hours at our Holliston, MA location. You must have shocked them on your entry!🤪
But as you say, they are more expensive (by about $20 for the BCD436HP, which is my current front-runner... but the SDS100 is so pretty!!!)
Maybe they've changed their policy since Covid, plus the times I went and walked in was a long time ago, probably 10+ years now. If someone walks in and wants to buy something for $300+ what are you gonna do, say no? 🤔

gordon115

Hi all...

My local municipality (Arlington) has finally gone all-digital, so I'm in the market for a new police scanner. But wading through digital (and trunking) scanners is making my head spin.

When I use the ScannerMaster "View and Compare Your Police Scanner Options" I get:

We're Sorry
It appears that we're suddenly very popular and as a result we were unable to serve this page.

Please click here to try again.

I've tried this many times over a couple of days. Is it broken? On ZipScanners.com, the recommendations are the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 scanners. These are kind of pricey, and are simulcast capable. I don't know who around here uses simulcast. How can I find out who does?

Question #1: What agencies in Middlesex County, MA use simulcast?
Question #2: What will happen if I use a non-simulcast scanner (aside from not being able to receive the agencies that use simulcast)?

Aside from these two scanners, can someone recommend any others for my region? The main towns/cities I tune into are Arlington & Newton

And tangentially, Question #3: Neither the SDS100 or SDS200 are listed on the Uniden website at Scanners. Is this a bad omen? They are available on ScannerMaster and ZipScanners.

Thanks for any/all help!
-Eric

You should consider a P25 phase capable radio. Cambridge is already P25 phase 2 capable trunking and the Mass State police in your area will be upgrading the current analog system over the next couple of years. I have 996P2 and 325P2 and get good results with both on P25 trunking despite Uniden's advertising campaign to push people to the more expensive SDS models. I'd recommend staying away from BC 436, I have one and its absolutely deaf.

EastCoastSunrise

Premium Subscriber
If you have not made your choice yet, I would think about if you need or want recording functionality. I got a 325P2 about a year ago now, has served me great, but now Im looking at upgrading as recording capability is something I've ending up needing. Otherwise I've loved my 325P2.

Status
Not open for further replies.