Sentinel: What am I doing wrong with "Profiles"?

Boatiac

Premium Subscriber
Good morning all.
I just bought a new SDS200. Have been learning it for a couple weeks now. Boy are things different now days. Slow to grasp the new ways, but getting there. I am using the Sentinel software. That is where my head is really swimming. I know Sentinel has certain limitations, but this one is crazy in my mind! Profiles! I get the “Fav’s”. I understand “Fav’s” populate every profile, and when deleted are deleted from every profile (doesn’t make sense to me why the program was written that way, but OK).

What I just DO NOT GET, I create a new profile, it populates, I add things, I avoid channels, I make the changes I want, etc. No matter what I do, what ever change I make in one profile gets changed in ALL profiles.

What am I not doing?

What am I missing?

Given this scenario, what is the point of “different profiles”?!

What I am trying to do is create “Profiles” for home (Az.) and Utah (where I summer).

Given what I want to do, should I look at Proscan, Butel? Will either one of those software programs create completely separate “Profiles”?

Thanks for any input, have a great day.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
A lot of the changes you are making are not stored in a profile, rather in the favorites lists. And only one profile can be loaded to scanner at a time, so I don't believe your idea of a home/AZ profile and away/UT profile is going to work too well.

Look at favorites list quick keys, and/or start-up keys to accomplish your wishes. Another possibility is using location control on your FLs and set up two locations in the profile.

BTW - ProScan does not have a profile editor, you have to use Sentinel or the scanner itself.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
What am I missing?
-
Not sure if this will help...

Although all of your favorites lists are in all of the profiles.... In the Profile Editor, under the "Scan Selection" tab, you can set which of the favorite lists are downloaded to the Scanner for that particular profile, to customize each profile to only monitor what you want in that profile. When you write that profile to the scanner, check the box that says "Erase All Favorites Lists on Scanner", and only the favorites lists you set to "download" and "monitor" in that profile will end up in the scanner and will start scanning.

Ubbe

Given this scenario, what is the point of “different profiles”?!
I fell in the same trap when I first started using a Uniden scanner that had the DMA type of management system, thinking it was a totally new set of fav lists for each profile. It works that way with Whistler scanners and their virtual scanner profiles and some other scanner brands but not with Uniden scanners.

You will have to think that fav lists are just a bunch of frequencies and TG's and that all fav lists are stored in the same box. Then in each profile you can select what fav lists to use from that box. If you edit a fav list you will be doing that to the ones in the box, that are available to all profiles.

All other settings in the scanner, except for the fav lists, are stored in each profile, like search ranges, closecall, service types and so on.

In your case you would have to copy and duplicate a fav list and rename both fav lists to represent where they should be used, like AZ_Fav1 and UT_Fav1 and pick the appropriate one for each profile.

/Ubbe

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Modern scanners are very interesting and complex. There are many paths you can take to arrive at the same destination.

A Profile is a collection of Favorites Lists and how they "behave". There are also a few other options you can set, such as Service Types, Location Settings, Favorites List Quick Key default settings and some display options.

On Favorites Lists, you have the choice of Downloading and Monitoring each Favorites List. Downloading (On) means the Favorites List is written to the scanner. Monitor On means the Favorites List is turned on so you can listen, Off is the opposite.

So you may have an Arizona Profile where certain Favorites Lists applicable to Arizona are downloaded (On) and Monitored (On) with those for Oregon are either downloaded, but Monitor Off or not downloaded at all. When you get ready to go to Arizona, you either open and write the Arizona Profile to the scanner or put the Arizona SD card in the scanner.

You may also have an Oregon Profile where things are reversed: Certain Favorites Lists applicable to Arizona are downloaded (OFF and Monitored (OFF) with those for Oregon ARE downloaded, and Monitor On. When you get ready to go to Oregon, you either open and write the Oregon Profile to the scanner or put the Oregon SD card in the scanner.

I used to do this as there were 3 places I would go: Minnesota, Florida and Home (Louisville).

What I now do is use (as mentioned above) Configuration (AKA startup) Keys. It is less programming effort or changing SD cards. In the Favorites List Editor, in the Options tab you can assign a Favorites List to one or more Configuration Keys. So your Arizona stuff can be on Configuration Key 1 and Oregon stuff on Configuration Key 2. (I also assign all Favorites Lists to Configuration Key 0, "just in case").

You "activate" a Configuration Key by pressing the appropriate digit when you power up the scanner. That way just those Favorites Lists assigned to that number are loaded into the scanner. That speeds up the power up process. Each subsequent Power up sequence remembers which Favorites Lists should be loaded. However, if you want a different set of Favorites Lists (as in you have gone from Arizona to Oregon), then you press that other digit at power up time.

I like this method better is there is less fussing with programming and re-programming.

Yet another option that requires even less thought and effort: Set all Favorites Lists to Location Control On. Then as you go from one place to another, change the Zip code. The scanner will then select those Favorites Lists to be "activated". The only thing you have to remember is change zip code as you change where you are. (Hearing nothing on your scanner might be the thing to make you remember.)

Last advice: never, ever, delete a Favorites List unless you are absolutely, positively sure, you won't ever want to listen to it under any circumstances. There is no harm in retaining them. You just don't download the "bad" ones to the scanner.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Another "option" that I use is I'll Copy the Favorite List, when prompted to Name Favorite List, I'll add the scanner I'm going to use it for in parenthesis.

Example is the Illinois State Police. On the SDS200 at home, I have all the ISP Districts enabled, site Attenuator/Filter. In Sentinel it's labeled Illinois State Police (SDS200).

I then used the Copy Favorite List option, when prompted to Name Favorite List, I use Illinois State Police (SDS100). I then made the necessary changes for in car use, turned off the Districts I don't need, turn off Attenuator/Filters at the site.

When I open up the SDS100 Profile, under Edit/Edit Profile, the Illinois state Police SDS100 is set to Download/Monitor ON, while the Illinois State Police SDS200, is set to Download/Monitor OFF.

It's just another suggestion to accomplish the goal you're aiming for.

shansmi

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you are trying to do what I have done. Basically I made a fav of all the towns around and including my hometown. I just drive and pick up traffic as the radio itself can see.

Things to remember:

- favorites lists ARE common to every profile BUT their Monitor and Download status is unique to each profile.
- for me several cities have gone to encryption so I set them all to "avoid" in the main database.
- did the same for all the national stuff and all the school districts (law related) since I do not use them.
- I created profiles for 2 scanners not locations of a single scanner.
- drill down in the database for the services you want to hear and add them to a new fav list.
- used google to find the lat / long of my hometown (usually city hall). I entered this into Sentinel with a range of 50 miles.

I did all of the above in a generic profile and then did a "save as" from the file menu saving it to a new profile named after one scanner i.e. SDS100. Make sure to set the scanner type as scanner specific features are important.

Now I do what you are trying to do... I have my local stuff that I am most likely to be in that I use daily... just drive and done. I have a few other fav lists for communities a little farther out that I do visit but do so rarely. Last night was a prime example. Once in the truck I simple turned on the fav list for my destination and bam, I started getting traffic from those folks once I hit the highway. Once back home I just turned off the fav list. If I go anywhere outside of my fav lists, I just fire up the GPS.

Now on the SDS200 that stays home, I run the exact same fav lists. Because of my antenna I can pick up the outer stuff but I do not run with them on by default. I just turn them on as I see fit.

To turn a fav list on or off go here on the scanner:

Menu >> Set Scan Selection >> Set Lists to Monitor.

I run with everything OFF with exception of my local fav list.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Boatiac

Premium Subscriber
Thank you to all that replied. I'm not going to lie, after reading the replies, my head was (and still is) swimming. o_O;) It has been 30+ years since I have had a scanner. I did purchase the "Easier to Read" book on this SDS200 and will re-read (and likely re-read again) the Easier to Read on the Sentinel software. There's no doubt "the light will come on". I've always said (and now that I'm one of them) "Old dogs can learn new tricks, there just needs to be more patience". :LOL:

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Thank you to all that replied. I'm not going to lie, after reading the replies, my head was (and still is) swimming. o_O;) It has been 30+ years since I have had a scanner. I did purchase the "Easier to Read" book on this SDS200 and will re-read (and likely re-read again) the Easier to Read on the Sentinel software. There's no doubt "the light will come on". I've always said (and now that I'm one of them) "Old dogs can learn new tricks, there just needs to be more patience". :LOL:
Yeah. “It ain’t like it used to be!” That’s for sure!
I’m about 10 months into the SDS 100 and…
No part of it is easy or intuitive! I won’t go into my overall displeasure with the radio for me. I’ve expressed that before.

Still hoping and trying!

SChuck

Just remember the Profile is for each scanner you own. If you have 1 scanner you only need 1 profile. You can set which favorite lists load on start up. If you only have a couple favorite lists you can turn on Monitor for all. If you have many large lists you may elect to turn off monitor on some to save time on start up.
The best way is to play play play until you get what works best for you.
You tube has many great videos on this subject!

EricRF

I'm a little (ok, not at all) surprised no one has come up with a single, cohesive document that explains how to actually use the SDS100 (or 200 or ...). It could even be published as an (E-)book or something. A user's guide would have saved me a TON of pain. Every time I think I have my head wrapped around the whole SDS100 programming universe, I end up with some surprise that shatters my world view. Of the SDS100. Not the actual world. Though that's a whole other story...

Of course, doing that would take a ton of time (and possibly money). And before anyone says anything, the Wiki doesn't count. It's too random and not cohesive. There are lots of links to lots of useful information, but a lot of the time you don't know what you're looking for in the first place (since you're brand new to all this). There's a lot of FAQ's and Hints and Tips, but very little "How-To" especially for a beginner. I'm not asking/requesting/demanding that "something be done." Just expressing some frustration. Technical documentation, actually all documentation for everything, has gotten so poor in recent decades, I had to let out some steam.

OK, I have my flame-retardant underwear on, so have at it... Please be gentle. And if anyone says "Why don't you do it?" they'll be immediately blocked.

🤪

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'm a little (ok, not at all) surprised no one has come up with a single, cohesive document that explains how to actually use the SDS100 (or 200 or ...). It could even be published as an (E-)book or something.
-

Have you seen these resources...

An online manual for the scanner:

A printed version of the above manual:

And for Sentinel:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I'm a little (ok, not at all) surprised no one has come up with a single, cohesive document that explains how to actually use the SDS100 (or 200 or ...). It could even be published as an (E-)book or something. A user's guide would have saved me a TON of pain. Every time I think I have my head wrapped around the whole SDS100 programming universe, I end up with some surprise that shatters my world view. Of the SDS100. Not the actual world. Though that's a whole other story...

Of course, doing that would take a ton of time (and possibly money). And before anyone says anything, the Wiki doesn't count. It's too random and not cohesive. There are lots of links to lots of useful information, but a lot of the time you don't know what you're looking for in the first place (since you're brand new to all this). There's a lot of FAQ's and Hints and Tips, but very little "How-To" especially for a beginner. I'm not asking/requesting/demanding that "something be done." Just expressing some frustration. Technical documentation, actually all documentation for everything, has gotten so poor in recent decades, I had to let out some steam.

OK, I have my flame-retardant underwear on, so have at it... Please be gentle. And if anyone says "Why don't you do it?" they'll be immediately blocked.

🤪

Too many times, no one does research on the scanner they plan on purchasing prior to buying and quickly become frustrated and confused. Another trap the new owners fall into is the "gotta have it" mode and are told to buy 5 extra batteries, and extra charger and 3 different antennas. As it's been mentioned, plenty of resources out there if a little searching is done. Add You Tube to that, because some users have put together a video, and others are visual learners.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber

🤪

IMO a lot of people don't want the book on how to learn to use the scanner and software, they want the "Idiots Guide to Scanning in MyTown, USA". There are ample resources available to learn, but you have to roll up your sleeves and read, and/or watch videos. I get it that not everyone can absorb information in this manner, but these folks should stick to Broadcastify.

Oh, and just to wrap it up ... "why don't you do it?".

EricRF

EricRF

Too many times, no one does research on the scanner they plan on purchasing prior to buying and quickly become frustrated and confused. Another trap the new owners fall into is the "gotta have it" mode and are told to buy 5 extra batteries, and extra charger and 3 different antennas. As it's been mentioned, plenty of resources out there if a little searching is done. Add You Tube to that, because some users have put together a video, and others are visual learners.
That might apply to some people, but not everyone. Doing research does not help if the information isn't available in a reasonably digestible form. Especially for anyone who doesn't have any recent applicable radio knowledge.

For me, the only resource I consistently forget is YouTube. It hasn't yet sunk in as a source for product information. And you do have to wade through some, well, difficult to watch videos.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
That might apply to some people, but not everyone. Doing research does not help if the information isn't available in a reasonably digestible form. Especially for anyone who doesn't have any recent applicable radio knowledge.

For me, the only resource I consistently forget is YouTube. It hasn't yet sunk in as a source for product information. And you do have to wade through some, well, difficult to watch videos.

I'm really not sure how much more digestible it could be made? The basic operation of scanners is out there. I dove into Unication software for the heck of it, and even though I'm not an owner, I'm pretty sure my programming and understanding of them is close. As I've always been told and live by, you only make things difficult to learn if you make it difficult. I started during "crystal days/Police Call yearly directories" days, and have always tried to keep up with this hobby. Patience eludes me at times, and walking away for a bit clears my head and I go back in and tackle it. It's there..just need to find it.

EricRF

IMO a lot of people don't want the book on how to learn to use the scanner and software, they want the "Idiots Guide to Scanning in MyTown, USA". There are ample resources available to learn, but you have to roll up your sleeves and read, and/or watch videos. I get it that not everyone can absorb information in this manner, but these folks should stick to Broadcastify.

Oh, and just to wrap it up ... "why don't you do it?".
Some people definitely want that. But sometimes when you buy a product, you'd like some documentation about what the features actually do, and how they work together. For example, global filters. With no radio experience, no one would have a clue as to what they do. And browsing the forums here, it seems that nobody does. (waiting for someone to find the one posting I missed with a detailed explanation). My favorite non-technical issue (which I did find kind of an explanation for here, though a photo would have helped. Maybe there was a YouTube video?) was: How do you open the battery compartment? I could not believe the manual had zero mention of that. A lot of manuals seem to talk about how to put in the batteries and not much else. Of course, the battery comes installed, but still...

Some people are proud that they worked everything out by trial and error, and searching for information. But some people just want to know how to use the thing. Aside from the ones that want to be spoon-fed, it's not unreasonable to expect some document to help with that. At least, it didn't used to be unreasonable. It seems to the norm these days.

And to wrap it up... "No, you do it!" 🤣