Sentinel: What am I doing wrong with "Profiles"?

EricRF

I'm really not sure how much more digestible it could be made? The basic operation of scanners is out there. I dove into Unication software for the heck of it, and even though I'm not an owner, I'm pretty sure my programming and understanding of them is close. As I've always been told and live by, you only make things difficult to learn if you make it difficult. I started during "crystal days/Police Call yearly directories" days, and have always tried to keep up with this hobby. Patience eludes me at times, and walking away for a bit clears my head and I go back in and tackle it. It's there..just need to find it.
You make excellent points. Every so often my mind wanders about how I'd organize a user's guide for the SDS100, and nothing obvious comes to me. One thing might be lots and lots of simple examples.

For some people, this is their first foray into scanners. They don't have any technical background. They don't know what they don't know. It's perfectly fine to not worry about them, and leave them to their own devices. But then they might be alienated from the hobby all together. Which is also fine. It just would be nice to make it easier for those that need a little extra guidance right off the bat.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Yep, have seen all of them. They all have the shortcomings that I mentioned.
-
Well, I don't know what else would be suitable for your needs. Most folks find those resources extremely valuable and informative. As with any other hobby, you need to put in your share of effort for experimenting and learning.

EricRF

-
Well, I don't know what else would be suitable for your needs. Most folks find those resources extremely valuable and informative. As with any other hobby, you need to put in your share of effort for experimenting and learning.
See my earlier reply. In fact, I did put in the effort, and got it done with the help of people here. It's not about me.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Kind of late on the most recent round. . .

I imagine it is hard to come up with a "one size fits all" manual. Too detailed and it blows the new user away. Not enough, and posts on the other end happen.

I believe the late Upman once posted that their mission was to have enough documentation to get someone going. He knew Mark would be writing his books and YouTube would be making videos. Most importantly there are message boards and user groups like this to answer the very specific narrow subject question.

Boatiac

Premium Subscriber
I'm a little (ok, not at all) surprised no one has come up with a single, cohesive document that explains how to actually use the SDS100 (or 200 or ...). It could even be published as an (E-)book or something. A user's guide would have saved me a TON of pain. Every time I think I have my head wrapped around the whole SDS100 programming universe, I end up with some surprise that shatters my world view. Of the SDS100. Not the actual world. Though that's a whole other story...

Of course, doing that would take a ton of time (and possibly money). And before anyone says anything, the Wiki doesn't count. It's too random and not cohesive. There are lots of links to lots of useful information, but a lot of the time you don't know what you're looking for in the first place (since you're brand new to all this). There's a lot of FAQ's and Hints and Tips, but very little "How-To" especially for a beginner. I'm not asking/requesting/demanding that "something be done." Just expressing some frustration. Technical documentation, actually all documentation for everything, has gotten so poor in recent decades, I had to let out some steam.

OK, I have my flame-retardant underwear on, so have at it... Please be gentle. And if anyone says "Why don't you do it?" they'll be immediately blocked.

🤪

There is This . I did purchase it, it covers both SDS100 & 200. Still a little "technical" o_O, but it is helping. For me, it was worth the 30 bucks.
I did try to find an SDS200 for Dummies. I've used "dummies" books for many things over the years, Love em' ;)

EricRF

There is This . I did purchase it, it covers both SDS100 & 200. Still a little "technical" o_O, but it is helping. For me, it was worth the 30 bucks.
I did try to find an SDS200 for Dummies. I've used "dummies" books for many things over the years, Love em' ;)
As soon as I found that online, it's all I used. It does help. Thanks!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The version being sold as a hard copy is merely the same thing you can access online, but converted into printed manual. Frankly. I prefer using the online version, since you can use the 'find' function in your browser to locate things that are not easily recognizable in a print format's index.

By the same token, if you download the *.pdf version of a scanners manual, & access it with your reader of choice, (Adobe Reader, for example), you can use the 'find' function there as well to quickly find what you are looking for by entering a key word or two.