BCD325P2/BCD996P2: How do i create a new scan group for quincy ma that recently went digital - failed so far :-(

N1JSM

Premium Subscriber
this is from RRDB below. I created a new system MOT2 Quincy PD and GRP Quincy PD P25 w tgid 1 but there are no columns to enter the NAC numbers ? can anyone suggest a way to have my local PD on my BCD996p2 ??? see attached

53.225KSL347RM474 NACQuincy PD 1Police Ch. 1 - Operations (Digital)P25Law Dispatch
453.250KSL347RM512 NACQuincy PD 2Police Ch. 2 - Teletype/InformationP25Law Tac
453.275KSL347RM811 NACQuincy PD 3Police Ch. 3 - DetectivesP25Law Tac

Attachments

• qpd image 3.gif
    qpd image 3.gif
    63 KB · Views: 35
  • qpd image 2.gif
    qpd image 2.gif
    77.2 KB · Views: 32
  • qpd image 1.gif
    qpd image 1.gif
    128.8 KB · Views: 22

N9JIG

Sheriff
These are conventional channels so you can enter them as such rather than trunked. You can disregard the NAC Codes if you want, if they are incorrect they can block your scanner from hearing them, just like an incorrect PL Code.

Otherwise you can enter it as a P25 Single channel trunked system (Not Motorola) and set it to ID Search. This will allow you to see TG numbers (used often in P25 conventional systems) as well as Unit ID's (if that feature is turned on).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
this is from RRDB below. I created a new system MOT2 Quincy PD and GRP Quincy PD P25 w tgid 1 but there are no columns to enter the NAC numbers ? can anyone suggest a way to have my local PD on my BCD996p2 ??? see attached

53.225KSL347RM474 NACQuincy PD 1Police Ch. 1 - Operations (Digital)P25Law Dispatch
The frequencies that are listed are not part of a trunked system. Program them in a conventional channels system. Set the audio to digital, which will then give you a field to enter the NAC code.

Looking at your screen shot, it appears that part of the first frequency listed was cut off. It should be 453.225, with a NAC of 474.

On your first screen shot, it is incorrectly shown as 53.225.

garys

Premium Subscriber
You didn't mention what typeof scanner, but it's probably not that important.

As others have noted Channel 1is listed incorrectly, the system is conventional with P25 audio. The NACs as listed are correct. Channel 3 is usually encrypted.

ecps92

He may not want the NAC, but set it to P25, otherwise he will hear the near-by other agencies sharing the same frequencies.
These are conventional channels so you can enter them as such rather than trunked. You can disregard the NAC Codes if you want, if they are incorrect they can block your scanner from hearing them, just like an incorrect PL Code.

Otherwise you can enter it as a P25 Single channel trunked system (Not Motorola) and set it to ID Search. This will allow you to see TG numbers (used often in P25 conventional systems) as well as Unit ID's (if that feature is turned on).

ecps92

Just go edit your original Analog QPD 1-3 and change it from Analog PL to use P25 and poof, you will hear them

No need to create a system as it is not a Trunked System, still Conventional, they only went from PL to NAC

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

I would suggest following this programming recommendation. If the department happens to be using more than 1 talkgroup (channel) or more than 1 Slot, you won't understand why you're hearing different conversations.

garys

Premium Subscriber
They aren't. If he does what you recommend he has to create a separate system for each frequency. UNLESS he wants to see the unit IDs as programmed into the radios, there is little reason to program that system that complexely.

I've been listening to that police department since the mid 1970s when I got my first scanner. They do not overcomplicate their radios. This agency was using Mocom 70s and Mitreks into the 1990s.

I would suggest following this programming recommendation. If the department happens to be using more than 1 talkgroup (channel) or more than 1 Slot, you won't understand why you're hearing different conversations.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
They aren't. If he does what you recommend he has to create a separate system for each frequency.

You don't have to create separate systems for One Channel P25 Systems. You can add the frequencies to the Site tab and it will scan as if it's conventional. Put it in ID Search and see what comes up. Besides talkgroups/slots, radio ID's can be ID'd and text tagged as you go along. I have this set up on a few systems I regularly monitor.

garys

Premium Subscriber
That is still overly cumbersome and unless he really wants to see how the IDs unnecessary. While it's sitting on one rarely used site, he'll risk missing traffic on another.

You don't have to create separate systems for One Channel P25 Systems. You can add the frequencies to the Site tab and it will scan as if it's conventional. Put it in ID Search and see what comes up. Besides talkgroups/slots, radio ID's can be ID'd and text tagged as you go along. I have this set up on a few systems I regularly monitor.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
That is still overly cumbersome and unless he really wants to see how the IDs unnecessary. While it's sitting on one rarely used site, he'll risk missing traffic on another.

1 site, plus as many frequencies as you would like to add (I see 3 mentioned). It behaves like a P25 trunk system when programming OFT, but it's a preference not cumbersome at all. You can add the NAC in the site section for a P25 OFT too. I haven't used Free Scan in awhile, but in the drop down menu, I think P25 OFT is one of the selections. Give it a try, experiment a bit!

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
More than 1 slot?
P25 conventional uses talk groups and not slots. P25 Trunking Phase 2 will use slot 1 or 2 (0 or 1) and DMR Trunking uses slot 1 or 2.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
More than 1 slot?
P25 conventional uses talk groups and not slots. P25 Trunking Phase 2 will use slot 1 or 2 (0 or 1) and DMR Trunking uses slot 1 or 2.

Correct. This is the reason for OFT options on Uniden. More than 1 talkgroup or different slots used in the same frequency. In this programming scenario, different talkgroups could be used on the frequencies. In addition, talkgroups can be text tagged and Radio ID's can be seen.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Lots of bad advice in this thread. The reason, as explained by UPMan for the OFT option for conventional P25 (yes, a misnomer) channels is because that's the only way the software developers could get UID to display.

With that said, I hope the OP ignores the noise floor and programs his scanner so it works.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

Lots of bad advice in this thread. The reason, as explained by UPMan for the OFT option for conventional P25 (yes, a misnomer) channels is because that's the only way the software developers could get UID to display.

With that said, I hope the OP ignores the noise floor and programs his scanner so it works.

I hope the OP tries different methods to get the best programming that works for him. I think the "noise floor" has some experience, and could explore his suggested option if that's what he chooses to do. Remember, it's just a suggestion on how to get the most out of a scanner. On that note, enjoy your 996P2!

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty confident I have more experience monitoring this system than the noise floor.

I hope the OP tries different methods to get the best programming that works for him. I think the "noise floor" has some experience, and could explore his suggested option if that's what he chooses to do. Remember, it's just a suggestion on how to get the most out of a scanner. On that note, enjoy your 996P2!

ecps92

Quincy Police is Conventional
Three channels

Not a System - The OP only needs to change his existing Conventional 3 QPD from PL Tone/Analog to P25/Digital and if he feels it is needed, select the NAC otherwise Auto for the NAC will work.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Quincy Police is Conventional
Three channels

Not a System - The OP only needs to change his existing Conventional 3 QPD from PL Tone/Analog to P25/Digital and if he feels it is needed, select the NAC otherwise Auto for the NAC will work.

Option-B...took 2 minutes to set up, not cumbersome :unsure:

Attachments

• Quincy PD (P25 OFT).zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 3