Which Affordable Analog Handheld Scanner Should I buy - (I see 4 choices)?

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
I would have tried to find a 346xt myself. I just saw one sell on Ebay for under $50..I already own 2 so I didn't go for it. It covers 800mHz and does trunking, plus a lot more memory. At least where I live my state police is still on 800mHz trunked analog... for now. It might not matter to you since it seems like everything in the 800 range is about to or already has gone digital. Just my opinion

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
I would have tried to find a 346xt myself. I just saw one sell on Ebay for under $50..I already own 2 so I didn't go for it. It covers 800mHz and does trunking, plus a lot more memory. At least where I live my state police is still on 800mHz trunked analog... for now. It might not matter to you since it seems like everything in the 800 range is about to or already has gone digital. Just my opinion

When did this sale happen? The last four 346XTs to sell on eBay were all well above $50. The cheapest was $85 + shipping. The two that sold previous to those four sold for more than what a new 125AT sells for Amazon...
Screenshot_20221007-100125_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20221007-100547_eBay.jpg

scannersnstuff

This was also a classic. At one point I owned 2 or 3,and bought one for my best friend.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
This was also a classic. At one point I owned 2 or 3,and bought one for my best friend.
I've owned one since new around 2010 and picked up a 2nd one for short money a little while back. Still a lot of analog in my area. I find that they pick up stuff from far away a lot easier than my other scanners. Good sensitivity and fits in my coat pocket easily. I'll likely get a 325p2 in the future to replace it once digital takes over, then I'll use these for airband or something

west-pac

Well, that's it. I ordered the 125AT. It's been a lot of fun. Thanks to all. 73

The OP asked a question, took the advice, bought a scanner, thanked all those who commented. The OP is done with this thread, and so should everyone else. A Moderator should close this thread as it no longer needs any further comments.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
The OP asked a question, took the advice, bought a scanner, thanked all those who commented. The OP is done with this thread, and so should everyone else. A Moderator should close this thread as it no longer needs any further comments.

Wow, Mr. Grumpy over here. You sound like the kind of guy who makes everyone leave the restaurant the moment their done eating.

scannersnstuff

I've owned one since new around 2010 and picked up a 2nd one for short money a little while back. Still a lot of analog in my area. I find that they pick up stuff from far away a lot easier than my other scanners. Good sensitivity and fits in my coat pocket easily. I'll likely get a 325p2 in the future to replace it once digital takes over, then I'll use these for airband or something
While ...not bashing the 325p2 functionally it's pretty good.But Uniden dropped the great attribute's of the Bcd396xt. Rugged,different color screen's, just to name a few. I really wish I had kept my 396,although it is not a phase II scanner. Unless you are really set on the 325 for shirt pocketability, go with the sds100, or at least the bcd436hp. However, if you are going to be in simulcast alley, the 325/436 will not cut it too well.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
While ...not bashing the 325p2 functionally it's pretty good.But Uniden dropped the great attribute's of the Bcd396xt. Rugged,different color screen's, just to name a few. I really wish I had kept my 396,although it is not a phase II scanner. Unless you are really set on the 325 for shirt pocketability, go with the sds100, or at least the bcd436hp. However, if you are going to be in simulcast alley, the 325/436 will not cut it too well.
The SDS looks like it would be much bigger and heavier than the 325p2. I have a 436hp and it isn't too pocket friendly itself. Not a lot of simulcast in my area thankfully though our new state police system that has many users will be simulcast from what I've read so that may be a challenge

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
125AT. I grabbed one on marketplace for 50 bucks, firefighter had it but got issued a pager so he sold it to me. It works great on air band but be aware they eat batteries like I eat ice cream! Always have a spare set at the ready.
I'm usually too cheap to pay for software or premium subscriptions but I sprung for ARC125 and the premium here. Being able to import whole swaths of freqs from RR into the software is a treat!

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
I would agree that it is a battery hog. Both of mine live on USB power full time, hidden under my desk. I run both with Scan125 software and route audio through a set of PC speakers. One does Military full time- it does a fantastic job of pulling in weak civil/Milair signals on a base antenna in the attic.

125AT. I grabbed one on marketplace for 50 bucks, firefighter had it but got issued a pager so he sold it to me. It works great on air band but be aware they eat batteries like I eat ice cream! Always have a spare set at the ready.
I'm usually too cheap to pay for software or premium subscriptions but I sprung for ARC125 and the premium here. Being able to import whole swaths of freqs from RR into the software is a treat!

scannersnstuff

That's another thing about the 325p2 - battery hog.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
That's another thing about the 325p2 - battery hog.
That's the one thing that I always was confused about. Why go with 2 batteries instead of 3? Seems like the 125/325 were based more on the old 246T style body design rather than the 346/396 design that held 3 batteries. Strange move if you ask me

JethrowJohnson

That's the one thing that I always was confused about. Why go with 2 batteries instead of 3? Seems like the 125/325 were based more on the old 246T style body design rather than the 346/396 design that held 3 batteries. Strange move if you ask me
I don't know, I think I'd almost rather have the 436 running on 2 batteries, or 4 if necessary, but it kind of makes it difficult with an odd number because I have an Energizer external battery charger and it only has 4 slots and you have to either put 2 on one side or all 4 but you can't put 3 in because there would only be 1 on one side and that battery could overheat or explode. The 436 does last a long time battery wise, but it takes up to 14 hours to charge it by plugging it in if you want the charge to last, and it just limits the time you have to use it. I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but I really like this one, it's a really good well-made scanner. Reception is excellent, it's really easy to use, and really the only problem I could think of is that it has some trouble with simulcast, which my county is, but most of the time it can still get the signal as clear as you could imagine. I wouldn't trade it for nothin'. 🙂👍