NY State Police Ithaca

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I am visiting Ithaca and have programmed the NYSP VHF frequencies for the area (155.655-Base, 154.950-Mobiles) as well as the talkgroups assigned to them on the Tompkins County trunked system (55505 Dispatch, 55379 Car/Car). I’ve been monitoring for a few days and haven’t heard any NYSP traffic on either system. Does anyone know of they are using another talkgroup or frequency? TIA.

JethrowJohnson

I am visiting Ithaca and have programmed the NYSP VHF frequencies for the area (155.655-Base, 154.950-Mobiles) as well as the talkgroups assigned to them on the Tompkins County trunked system (55505 Dispatch, 55379 Car/Car). I’ve been monitoring for a few days and haven’t heard any NYSP traffic on either system. Does anyone know of they are using another talkgroup or frequency? TIA.
Did you program the Cortland County Public Safety system too? I would just enter the ZIP code for Ithaca and scan the database if I were visiting and wanted to hear it.

P.S. It is ILLEGAL to use a radio scanner in the car in the State of New York. I just wanted to make sure you know that so you don't get in trouble for it. Same for Florida, too.

Last edited:

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Did you program the Cortland County Public Safety system too? I would just enter the ZIP code for Ithaca and scan the database if I were visiting and wanted to hear it.

P.S. It is ILLEGAL to use a radio scanner in the car in the State of New York. I just wanted to make sure you know that so you don't get in trouble for it. Same for Florida, too.
I did program Cortland but I don’t see any talkgroups in the RRDB for NYSP. I also can’t hear that system from my location unfortunately.

JethrowJohnson

I did program Cortland but I don’t see any talkgroups in the RRDB for NYSP. I also can’t hear that system from my location unfortunately.
That's weird. I just looked at the Cortland system and like you said, no NYSP TGs. Sounds to me like they're known to use that system, but unknown on what the TGIDs are. I'm not sure what to do except maybe try the database? What kind of scanner you have?

k2hz

Database Admin
That's weird. I just looked at the Cortland system and like you said, no NYSP TGs. Sounds to me like they're known to use that system, but unknown on what the TGIDs are. I'm not sure what to do except maybe try the database? What kind of scanner you have?
The VHF frequencies are generally quiet except for 154.665 car to car. Dispatch is on the county trunked systems, generally on the Countywide Law TGs. If the system has any NYSP TGs they are generally administrative or Tac and seldom used.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I was told by a local officer that the NYSP and Tompkins Sheriff cover for each other in the rural areas of the county. I’ve also noticed that Tompkins Sheriff vehicles have both 800 MHz as well as VHF 1/4 wave whips on their vehicles which I found pretty interesting. So does Tompkins monitor the NYSP VHF system or does the NYSP monitor Tompkins? Or do they do both?

Im using the SDS100.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
The VHF frequencies are generally quiet except for 154.665 car to car. Dispatch is on the county trunked systems, generally on the Countywide Law TGs. If the system has any NYSP TGs they are generally administrative or Tac and seldom used.
Thank you. That makes sense. That’s a much more streamlined process.

k2hz

Database Admin
I am not familiar with details of how Tompkins works but in most counties all NYSP units are dispatched by the county 911 center. Any use of the VHF system or dedicated NYSP TGs is usually administrative to Troop Headquarters. NYSP cars generally operate on the TG for Law Dispatch for the area they are operating in. Depending on the county unit numbering system they may use other than their regular NYSP car#.

All NYSP vehicles have VHF for statewide operation. Usually multiband radios.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I am not familiar with details of how Tompkins works but in most counties all NYSP units are dispatched by the county 911 center. Any use of the VHF system or dedicated NYSP TGs is usually administrative to Troop Headquarters. NYSP cars generally operate on the TG for Law Dispatch for the area they are operating in. Depending on the county unit numbering system they may use other than their regular NYSP car#.

All NYSP vehicles have VHF for statewide operation. Usually multiband radios.
Very good info. Thank you. Nothing like in Florida where the State Troopers work on their own system and are generally not on any local systems for day to day operations.

JethrowJohnson

Very good info. Thank you. Nothing like in Florida where the State Troopers work on their own system and are generally not on any local systems for day to day operations.
Same for Ohio State Highway Patrol. But NYSP and Tompkins probably do monitor each other's systems for interoperability purposes. A lot of officers do.

k2hz

Database Admin
Same for Ohio State Highway Patrol. But NYSP and Tompkins probably do monitor each other's systems for interoperability purposes. A lot of officers do.
Except Tompkins units would have no VHF capability and there is really nothing to monitor on NYSP VHF other than occasional car to car. Counties that are still on VHF generally do not have NYSP frequencies in their radios and NYLAW1 is used for Interop. But NYLAW1 is not needed within the county since NYSP and Sheriff/Town PDs are dispatched on the same frequencies. The standard in most Upstate NY counties is NYSP and local Law agencies are dispatched by the county 911 center on the county TGs or Frequencies used by all agencies.

JethrowJohnson

Except Tompkins units would have no VHF capability and there is really nothing to monitor on NYSP VHF other than occasional car to car. Counties that are still on VHF generally do not have NYSP frequencies in their radios and NYLAW1 is used for Interop. But NYLAW1 is not needed within the county since NYSP and Sheriff/Town PDs are dispatched on the same frequencies. The standard in most Upstate NY counties is NYSP and local Law agencies are dispatched by the county 911 center on the county TGs or Frequencies used by all agencies.
Yeah, they're a lot different from OSHP, FHP, and most other state police agencies that I know of.

k2hz

Database Admin
Yeah, they're a lot different from OSHP, FHP, and most other state police agencies that I know of.
It is different Downstate and in the Hudson Valley but in the Upstate NY counties the NYSP channels or dedicated TGs are generally dead because there is no NYSP dispatch. It is all done by the county and NYSP is just another agency on the system. In some cases NYSP is primary for things like Expressway or State Highway patrols but in many cases in rural areas with only a few Sheriff and NYSP cars the nearest car from either agency is dispatched.

k2hz

Database Admin
Interesting. Would you happen to know what the VHF antennas on Tompkins vehicles are used for?
I am not aware of any VHF Law use in Tompkins County. They may have NYLAW 1 and the adjacent Schuyler, Chemung and Tioga Law frequencies for Interop. Tompkins is sort of isolated with their own trunked system not part of CNYICC so they probably need some Interop capability. I don't know if they have any adjacent county patch capability in their trunked system.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I am not aware of any VHF Law use in Tompkins County. They may have NYLAW 1 and the adjacent Schuyler, Chemung and Tioga Law frequencies for Interop. Tompkins is sort of isolated with their own trunked system not part of CNYICC so they probably need some Interop capability. I don't know if they have any adjacent county patch capability in their trunked system.
Great info. I’ll have to add NYLAW1 to my scan list just in case. I wasn’t aware of it. But access to the VHF counties is the most likely scenario here. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
The only equivalent of that type of NYSP operation would be Troop T. That whole troop is assigned to the New York State Thruway. They are usually in their own little world. They operate on the NYSTA channels. While I don't know if it's their lacking interop abilities, there have been instances locally (not anywhere near Ithaca). Multiple agencies have been involved in a lengthy pursuit and subsequent foot pursuit (Border Patrol, NYSP, local PD, and sheriffs), and NO ONE was talking to each other directly because they allegedly did not have each other's channels.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
The only equivalent of that type of NYSP operation would be Troop T. That whole troop is assigned to the New York State Thruway. They are usually in their own little world. They operate on the NYSTA channels. While I don't know if it's their lacking interop abilities, there have been instances locally (not anywhere near Ithaca). Multiple agencies have been involved in a lengthy pursuit and subsequent foot pursuit (Border Patrol, NYSP, local PD, and sheriffs), and NO ONE was talking to each other directly because they allegedly did not have each other's channels.
The interop resources are there. However, the will to use those resources aren't there..

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
The standard in most Upstate NY counties is NYSP and local Law agencies are dispatched by the county 911 center on the county TGs or Frequencies used by all agencies.
I'm just adding some historical background the relationship of NYSP Dispatch and County Dispatch. When I moved up here in the late 80's, all areas without local PD's were patrolled by both the Sheriff Deputies and the NYSP Troopers. NYSP dispatched calls on their zone channel and the SO used their county frequency. Citizens would call the agency of their choice. There was no coordination, so you might have a 15 minute wait for a trooper to respond to you call when there was actually an SO deputy 2 minutes away. When cellular 911 was developed the NYSP station was the answering point, which made little sense as they only could dispatch troopers, and had to relay calls for EMS, FD, and local PD's. The need for coordination was eventually recognized, but our local sheriff refused to allow the NYSP to operate on the SO dispatch channel. The work around for this was polling troopers on the 155.37 interagency channel, but coverage in our county of hills and valleys was not great.

Fast forward to present day with all 911 calls going to the County Emergency Services Communications Center and that center polling SO and NYSP cars on the Sheriff channel to determine the closest unit to the call. Communications coordination has certainly come a long way in the past 30 years.

I should note that the NYSP Troop C Zone 2 Binghamton Station dispatch channel 155.655/154.95 is still active. Troopers use it to notify dispatch when they respond to calls from the 911 Center, as well as for motor vehicle stops, for incidents handled by the NYSP, and other general issues. Also, citizens can call the NYSP directly and these calls are dispatched by the NYSP. As mentioned by others, the NYSP car to car channel 154.665 is also active.

It will be interesting to see whether the NYSP in Broome will operate on talkgroups in addition to the Sheriff Dispatch talkgroup on the new Broome Sites of the CNYICC

trainman111

It is different Downstate and in the Hudson Valley but in the Upstate NY counties the NYSP channels or dedicated TGs are generally dead because there is no NYSP dispatch. It is all done by the county and NYSP is just another agency on the system. In some cases NYSP is primary for things like Expressway or State Highway patrols but in many cases in rural areas with only a few Sheriff and NYSP cars the nearest car from either agency is dispatched.
I don't think is true for ALL of upstate. I routinely heard NYSP units calling B-Com on 155.595 and B-Com replying back on 154.905 calling out traffic stops, being dispatched to calls, etc. while I was in Blue Mountain Lake last month. I've also heard Clinton County assigned NYSP units in Zone 1 converse with B-Com as well as Clinton County Sheriff's Office communicate with "SP Plattsburgh", with Franklin and Essex County operating similarly. I think for units on a trunked system, what you described may be the case, but much of Troop B is still dispatched by B-Com while also having the ability to speak with county law enforcement dispatch as well as needed.