New Jersey Interoperability Communication System (NJICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2NEC

Has anyone heard anything about the sites not simulcasting properly recently? Like a radio on West Orange and a radio on Site 17 not passing traffic all the time despite being on the same talkgroup...

8000XE

Feed Provider
Has anyone heard anything about the sites not simulcasting properly recently? Like a radio on West Orange and a radio on Site 17 not passing traffic all the time despite being on the same talkgroup...

I am being told it is being looked into - 3 agencies (local and state) have reported this

rbomba

Premium Subscriber
Short answer...NJSP radios and talkgroups have access to all sites as they are a statewide agency. Other agencies and/or their talkgroups are restricted to certain locations as to not tie up resources scanning or listening in areas they are not assigned.

Now for the NJICS system...it is a hybrid of simulcast cells and stand alone repeaters. So even though all NJSP talkgroups can access any site, if that talkgroup or radio using that talkgroup is not affiliated or associated on that site, and thats the site you are listening to, your mileage may vary and you may get nothing or you may get something.

I listen to the Cranbury ASR. Unless someone is affiliated on that site with the talkgroup I want to listen to, I won't hear a peep. But if I can hear the Bordentown Simulcast and that radio is affiliated there, I will hear that talkgroup I am looking for...

The old 4.1 system though was nice to listen to since it would be very rare for you to miss any conversations as it was a true simulcast oriented system between the 3 zones within NJ.
@kd2pm so in essence if someone resides in northern Monmouth County (me) and wanted to monitor NJICS, essentially, I can only hear the TGs located in Monmouth County, and any other sites that have full state coverage? Any other site, TG, etc. that's out of "range" is dead silent where I live unless it's specific to Monmouth or has state wide coverage. Not unless I'm doing something wrong, but is this the case?

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
@kd2pm so in essence if someone resides in northern Monmouth County (me) and wanted to monitor NJICS, essentially, I can only hear the TGs located in Monmouth County, and any other sites that have full state coverage? Any other site, TG, etc. that's out of "range" is dead silent where I live unless it's specific to Monmouth or has state wide coverage. Not unless I'm doing something wrong, but is this the case?

I have a place in Sea Bright. I can ONLY receive the Telegraph Hill Site, and the The Eatontown site from my location.... I only hear whatever radio traffic those sites broadcast....(which are usually local agencies, or State PD traffic local to that site) but any "statewide agencies" that also use that site, you will hear them , as well

rbomba

Premium Subscriber
I have a place in Sea Bright. I can ONLY receive the Telegraph Hill Site, and the The Eatontown site from my location.... I only hear whatever radio traffic those sites broadcast....(which are usually local agencies, or State PD traffic local to that site) but any "statewide agencies" that also use that site, you will hear them , as well
@richee2000 thank you for confirming. I'm in Hazlet, don't really hear much these days. Many (if not all) local municipalities went to the Monmouth County trunked system (can't monitor police as they're encrypted) or NJICS (even those law talk groups are encrypted). Not much to listen to these days other than Fire/EMS locally, even on my BCD536.

richee2000

@richee2000 thank you for confirming. I'm in Hazlet, don't really hear much these days. Many (if not all) local municipalities went to the Monmouth County trunked system or NJICS. Not much to listen to these days other than Fire/EMS locally.

YW, The Monmouth Co P25 System is great for hearing Fire/EMS. But, All LE is "E" , so you will hear nothing. Listen to Sandy Hook in the summer, Coast Guard, Marine, NYPD, Middlesex Co P25, JFK Approach and Tower, Navy Station Earle, NJICS, and the old 800 njsp system...

richee2000

@richee2000 thank you for confirming. I'm in Hazlet, don't really hear much these days. Many (if not all) local municipalities went to the Monmouth County trunked system (can't monitor police as they're encrypted) or NJICS (even those law talk groups are encrypted). Not much to listen to these days other than Fire/EMS locally, even on my BCD536.

Yes you are correct. Most of Monmouth county's law enforcement is totally encrypted. No further comment. 😂

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, the agency I am with had issues last week as well. Throughout the course of the tour, ALL of our radios, portable and mobile including the dispatch consoles were experiencing problems. Kept getting, "out of range" messages across the display. NJSP REMU was contacted and the technician stated they did upgrades to the ICS system statewide and to anticipate issues going forward until they can rectify what ever the issue is. The technical talk is a little beyond my scope so I couldn't say what the exact issue is. Hope this helps.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Basically if you are listening to the Wall or Neptune or Telegraph Hill, you will only hear traffic destined for anyone who is affiliated with that site. If the talkgroup you want to hear is not being used by that person...then you wont hear it.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like Little Falls is having issues with their primary dispatch talkgroup. Yesterday they were testing from all over their town, and they have been operating on their inter-ops talkgroup.
For what it's worth, the agency I am with had issues last week as well. Throughout the course of the tour, ALL of our radios, portable and mobile including the dispatch consoles were experiencing problems. Kept getting, "out of range" messages across the display. NJSP REMU was contacted and the technician stated they did upgrades to the ICS system statewide and to anticipate issues going forward until they can rectify what ever the issue is. The technical talk is a little beyond my scope so I couldn't say what the exact issue is. Hope this helps.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
Are the sites in Monmouth County simulcasted? another words, If a unit is on the neptune site, and i do not have the neptune site programed but have the long branch site programmed, will I hear the transmissions?

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Are the sites in Monmouth County simulcasted? another words, If a unit is on the neptune site, and i do not have the neptune site programed but have the long branch site programmed, will I hear the transmissions?

Depending on the scanner you have, best just to program NJICS into it, figure out what you want to listen to, and let the scanner do the rest. If that TG appears on a tower you can hear...you will hear it...if not....you wont...that's about as simple as it gets. If you REALLY want to have the scanner have a better chance of picking up not only stand-alone sites as well as simulcast cells...get a root top antenna and maybe a pre-amp (optional) and you should be able to scan alot more sites in the area with the hopes that you will capture more activity than if you just listen to one site that is not in a cell

howie38

Premium Subscriber
I know I'm getting local patrols on Mot Type2/P25 'C3 South' around me but they're scratchy. And I also hear stuff real loud & clear through Cinnaminson on the Mot P25/P25 standard, but haven't established if it's going to cover the Red Lion area yet. Waiting for more location shoutouts from the cars to zero in on this area.

Be nice to find a channel breakdown who's working what & where.

CastorLB

Premium Subscriber
I know I'm getting local patrols on Mot Type2/P25 'C3 South' around me but they're scratchy. And I also hear stuff real loud & clear through Cinnaminson on the Mot P25/P25 standard, but haven't established if it's going to cover the Red Lion area yet. Waiting for more location shoutouts from the cars to zero in on this area.

Be nice to find a channel breakdown who's working what & where.
This is what I’ve got for road station TG assignments:

A1-3 East - Buena, Woodbine
A1-4 South - Port Norris, Bridgeton, Woodstown
A1-5 West - Bellmawr
B2-2 Sussex - Sussex
B2-3 Warren - Hope, Washington
B2-4 North - Totowa, Netcong
B2-5 South - Somerville, Perryville
C3-3 South - Red Lion, Tuckerton
C3-4 Central - Hamilton
C3-5 West - Bordentown, Kingwood

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
This is what I’ve got for road station TG assignments:

A1-3 East - Buena, Woodbine
A1-4 South - Port Norris, Bridgeton, Woodstown
A1-5 West - Bellmawr
B2-2 Sussex - Sussex
B2-3 Warren - Hope, Washington
B2-4 North - Totowa, Netcong
B2-5 South - Somerville, Perryville
C3-3 South - Red Lion, Tuckerton
C3-4 Central - Hamilton
C3-5 West - Bordentown, Kingwood
One correction, Woodstown is on 5 com, A1-5

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As some of you have probably already seen in the NJSP 800 MHz SmartZone system thread, as of 11:30 this morning the NJSP talkgroups (with the exception of 10-Comm) are no longer active on that system. They are now operating in TDMA mode on the NJICS system as a result.

Those of you who were monitoring the NJSP talkgroups on the NJICS system with older scanners that were not capable of P25 Phase II are going to have to upgrade in order to continue listening to those talkgroups.

As some of you have probably already seen in the NJSP 800 MHz SmartZone system thread, as of 11:30 this morning the NJSP talkgroups (with the exception of 10-Comm) are no longer active on that system. They are now operating in TDMA mode on the NJICS system as a result.

Those of you who were monitoring the NJSP talkgroups on the NJICS system with older scanners that were not capable of P25 Phase II are going to have to upgrade in order to continue listening to those talkgroups.
Any update as to whether encryption will follow shortly now that NJSP has transitioned over to NJICS?

Status
Not open for further replies.