Brand new/kind of confused owner of a sds200

pelican911

Hello. I’ve been making slow progress understanding and programming this impressive unit; I just want my favorites to scan, but custom slots still scan through. How can I mix that? Last, can a I just listen to my favorite, and not Virginia statewide/federal? I’m not sure how this is done. Thank you in advance! Doc Lykins

tvengr

Well Known Member
Press the squelch knob to enter the menu > Set Scan Selection should be highlighted > Press E > Scroll to Select Lists to Monitor > Press E > Full Database should be highlighted > Press E to toggle Full Database off > Press AVOID to exit menu. Using Sentinel, the profile editor has a box for Monitor Full Database. If you remove the check mark from that box, the database will not be enabled when you write to the scanner. Let me know if you have the VA statewide system as part of your favorites lists. If you wish, you can export favorites list files and attach them here for us to check for problems. If you are interested in doing that, I will give you instructions.

Last edited:

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Press the squelch knob to enter the menu > Set Scan Selection should be highlighted > Press E > Scroll to Select Lists to Monitor > Press E > Full Database should be highlighted > Press E to toggle Full Database off > Press AVOID to exit menu. Using Sentinel, the profile editor has a box for Monitor Full Database. If you remove the check mark from that box, the database will not be enabled when you write to the scanner. Let me know if you have the VA statewide system as part of your favorites lists. If you wish, you can export favorites list files and attach them here for us to check for problems. If you are interested in doing that, I will give you instructions.
Just an FYI, you don't need to press the E key to select, just press the scroll knob. It will toggle the list off/on. Likewise you don't need to press the AVOID to exit the menu system. Just press the squelch key to step backwards through the menu system. That way, if you have to change a few settings, you don't have to go all the way back to scanning and start over again.

shansmi

Premium Subscriber
Also to the OP remember the more "sites" you add to your fav lists the more you will miss as the SDS scans all the control channels looking for traffic. The scan takes time. For me I have a SDS100 that travels with me. When used locally I have a fav list that contains the places I am most likely to be daily. If I go outside of that area I fire up the GPS. The SDS200 stays home and monitors everything the antenna can pick up. I only listen to Law. I add Law, Fire and EMS talk groups to my fav lists. The best way to build them so you hear everything is to use Sentinel.

Drill down to the county of interest and expand "County System". In the pic I went to USA>Texas>Collin>County System. The pic shows "PAWMCo P25" as being selected. If you right click on that and choose add to favorite then follow the prompts to add to an existing fav list or to a new one... it will add everything for you. On the second pic I selected Murphy to show you the various talk groups. On the scanner turn on the Service Types you want to hear and I recommend doing them in sets like law talk, tac and dispatch vs fire talk, tac and dispatch. As things happen like say a police chase... it will start on the dispatch channel then probably go to a tac or talk channel. If a jurisdictional boundary is crossed it will go to Interop. At least this is they seem to work in my area. Also as mentioned turn off everything BUT your fav list(s) as you will get all kinds of stuff if the full database is turned on and all the various service types are enabled as well.

Again, the more you scan the more you miss. As a site gets more "chatty" use the System and Dept soft keys to lock onto it if something you are interested in fires up like say a police chase or fire. Another thing to note is many jurisdictions will hand off calls like say for a police chase or if a fire happens and multiple jurisdictions are responding. This is done over Interop so make sure that service type is enabled as well.

Screenshot 2022-10-16 000750.jpegScreenshot 2022-10-16 001500.jpegScreenshot 2022-10-16 001736.jpegScreenshot 2022-10-16 001825.jpeg

dmchalmers

good luck with Sentinel ! Marks Scanners has a great info for beginners an YouTube is your friend