Wayne Police Encrypted

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
Tac-1 I'm with you with that Dispatch channels should be in the clear. I get it, you want to know what's going on in your backyard and there is a public perception of the decrease in transparency. But I can tell you as someone who uses ENC daily, its not like we are having super secret comms unrelated to my job...I use Signal for that lol.

What I am against is streaming police channels all over the internet, and hence we have all these PDs flipping the switch. People here are there own worst enemy. If anyone wants to argue that is not the reason, I've spoken to countless officials that point directly to that as the primary reason, period. BUT cool down with the my taxpayer pays for blah blah blah. I always tell your kind to give me a raise or buy me better equipment. And if you think a Chief of Police or Sheriff cares about your concerns, they are more concerned with stopping the bleed of law enforcement personnel retiring, quitting etc in mass numbers to the point of lower standards just to hire people.

A Clear Case of : "Be Careful What You Wish For"......

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Cost is irrelevant anymore in regards to secure methods like it was in past. Only time it is a issue is when locals make it a issue who purchase said radios.

Yes, Everything in and out of public safety is recorded, but who's checking the tape every day?

So, I guess you have to go to every department and check their recorded comms every day.

The Public has a right to know what going on in their communities, we pay for everything including the unnecessary cost to encrypt every radio.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Yep

If anyone wants to argue that is not the reason, I've spoken to countless officials that point directly to that as the primary reason, period. BUT cool down with the my taxpayer pays for blah blah blah. I always tell your kind to give me a raise or buy me better equipment. And if you think a Chief of Police or Sheriff cares about your concerns, they are more concerned with stopping the bleed of law enforcement personnel retiring, quitting etc in mass numbers to the point of lower standards just to hire people.

JethrowJohnson

Monitor Fire / EMS / Medics and Spen 1 - you will never miss anything big !!
True, but Fire/Medical didn't respond when someone was trying to get into people's cars, including mine and my neighbor's, and they also didn't respond when Law Enforcement was looking for that kid. I'm not trying to argue or anything, I'm just saying there's more important things than a major crash in the next city over. And again, I'm not against encryption. Departments' reasons for that are valid and reasonable, I just wish they didn't have to. I guess he could ask his department to reconsider, but there are reasons for their decisions.

wtp

after sticking a fork in an outlet years ago, i have been pretty positive...+++
this is what it might have looked like and is someone's avatar here...
1667004525677.png

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
too many negative people in this thread....................................
Don't confuse being pragmatic or realistic with being negative. If someone has a different opinion or point of view, it can be mistakenly perceived as negativity, which is not necessarily the case.

In any event, this is the NJ forum and this was a thread about a specific agency. Somehow it morphed into yet another thread debating encryption with anecdotes from other states. *yawn*

slingshot202

Feed Provider

mondaro

Feed Provider
True, but Fire/Medical didn't respond when someone was trying to get into people's cars, including mine and my neighbor's, and they also didn't respond when Law Enforcement was looking for that kid. I'm not trying to argue or anything, I'm just saying there's more important things than a major crash in the next city over. And again, I'm not against encryption. Departments' reasons for that are valid and reasonable, I just wish they didn't have to. I guess he could ask his department to reconsider, but there are reasons for their decisions.
In that case, go to a council meeting and complain, in my local town where I live and where I work I spoke to the Police Chiefs directly on the dangers of the Big E with supporting documentation.

NParkNJ

On the Road
For what its worth knowing the town of Wayne well(having family there for years when I was growing up, playing sports, and recently graduating with one of my degrees there), they are a pretty safe, and quiet town, trouble or crime wise. I’d be willing to bet it was an admin decision and nothing else(we can, we want, etc). Why Paterson isn’t with the ACTUAL crime happening, knifings, shootings, and all that everyday is a different story…I digress

If I were to make any suggestions or to make a plea(I won’t, but hypothetically), I would be all for E on their info, and other tac’s. In my opinion, I never heard anything worth encrypting on their dispatch. Anything personal was always put over the info “channel 2.” They were very methodical in this method.

Too late now, but at least we have Fire/EMS. Some agencies put that in the dark too, so it is what it is…