• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola HT1000

danc107

Premium Subscriber
Now before everyone starts bashing me for buying an older radio that I have wanted to own for a while, I finally found one in mint condition, now the problem with older radios: Programming. The one I purchased already comes programmed to what I said the seller too but now in the future if I wanted to do it on my own, what do I need? I do have an older IBM Thinkpad that I'm unsure of the operating system since it hasnt worked in a while because i need a charger and battery. But in the end what is everything I will need and how hard is it to come by?

Enjoy your night all
Dan

mbnv992

Honestly - your best bet is to just search eBay and mail it to a programmer to do it for you. Much much easier that way IMO. Barnett Electronics in Cabot, AR specializes in programming older Motorola radios and does a fantastic job.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
I concur with @mmckenna
I have an old Dell XP that has a true serial port and I have a bootable DOS disk to run the HT1000 RSS in DOS mode. You would also need a RIB and the proper programming cable.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Another A+ recommendation for Barnett Electronics. Dan is terrific, reasonable, and FAST! He did two legacy GP300s for me.

Let the experts like Dan do it for you; You won't regret it!

mbnv992

Another A+ recommendation for Barnett Electronics. Dan is terrific, reasonable, and FAST! He did two legacy GP300s for me.

Let the experts like Dan do it for you; You won't regret it!
Dan’s done a TON of radio programming for me. Mostly old Sabers, GP300’s and right now he’s currently working on some UHF Visars I just picked up for me. He does a fantastic job, and super super quick turnaround time. I tossed all my old DOS programming laptops 15+ years ago along with all the old programming cables etc etc for those ancient radios. I mostly use all my old radios for GMRS nowadays. So if a tone changes, I have to box them all up and send em to Dan.

N4KVE

When people ask me about a JEDI, I ALWAYS tell them to pay the extra $5, & buy a MTS2000. Why? Because it programs with much newer CPS, & much newer lap top. And it’s Flashport upgradable. It’s the same RF board, so performance will be the same. But it’s just so much easier to program, & I don’t have to dig out the DOS laptop.

ems55

Premium Subscriber
You need pure DOS to run HT1000.exe.
I use an older laptop that normally runs Windows XP. I pull a program called "Rufus" off the internet. It goes on a USB drive and the laptop boots off the USB drive directly into DOS.

Works just fine for HT1000's and similar RSS based software.
How about MT2000 ????

mbnv992

Yep, MT2000’s, JT1000, and HT1000 all require the ancient DOS computer to program. As was said, if you wanna get into a Jedi, a ( genuine ) MTS2000 is hands down the way to go. Only problem is - about 99% of them dumped on eBay are all useless 800MHZ models. Finding a VHF or UHF MTS is super rare now.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Maintaining a DOS computer for radio archaeology is a chore in and of itself. If you must go that route, get a vintage 386 or 486 laptop with a VGA output because you can expect the LCD screen to die fairly soon. Replace the spinning hard drive with a solid state drive. I've used small (1GB is plenty) CF cards in a CF to IDE adapter and call that the hard drive.

Getting a desktop 386 or 486 machine may be even better. Have the main board recapped and replace the power supply with a new one.

Either way, getting healthy running examples of any of these is becoming challenging.

If Windows is to be in it, use XP. It seems to be fine for everything.

PACNWDude

+1 on all that is being said in this thread about DOS/XP computers and MT2000's and HT1000's. I work for a very large nationwide corporation that has been using Motorola Solutions Inc. radios since the HT-220 (which were only retired two years ago). The company Emergency Operations Centers are still using HT1000's and MT2000's (H01SDD9AA4AN) in UHF, with some interop with amateur radio Auxiliary Communications Service (ACS) elements around the country. Batteries are now becoming an issue, as they need to be intrinsically safe for my employers' purpose, and they are no longer being produced. However, they remain solid on output audio and still put out 4.8 to 5 watts with a charged battery. They also fill the hand and will take hits on cement, and for an organization that has reaped their money's worth, still continue to "save" money over buying something newer and with more options than needed. (Motorola would love to see us buy XPR3500e's to replace these HT/MT series radios.

For programming we have had to maintain ancient Toshiba Satellite and Portege computers running Windows 98SE and XP. Luckily, we have the Motorola RIB and cables. Then there is the age of the radios themselves, knobs falling apart and other plastic pieces that degrade over time.

If we were only supporting these older radios, it would not be so bad, but we are now supporting radios as old as Maxtrac's and as new as APX8000XE portables and APX8500 mobiles. For those that wish to maintain large numbers of HT/MT series radios, head well on what ElroyJetson said above......solid states drives and an old 386/486 is the way to go.

As for purchasing older radios, there are deals out there but be sure you know what you are buying as well.... we have many that have bought 800 Mhz radios on auction sites as well, not knowing that there is no amateur band for 800 Mhz. I also know many that have bought CDM1550LS+ mobiles that only have 16 conventional analog channels, thinking they were getting 160 channels, check model numbers and details.

top13

Premium Subscriber
I have both VHF and UHF Models.
I use a Dell D630 with a serial port. I boot the computer from a DOS boot disk using a USB Floppy drive.
I use a ribless serial cable. The programming software is on the boot disk.
I got the cable on Ebay, it came with the programming software.
It works great.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I also use and recommend Dell Latitudes. D620, D630, D820, D830, maybe others. They're still common and dirt cheap. I don't remember ever being unable to program a first generation Motorola programmable radio with them, if you boot into DOS mode. Maybe there may be an issue there, but I don't remember there being one.

I have an accumulated library of obsolete Motorola programming software that's so deep I don't even know what all is in it. On CD, 3.5 floppy, maybe even some 5.25 floppies. I don't have much use for it but don't really want to throw it out, either.

I remember using the early Radius P100 software, which presented the codeplug in HEX values, to turn 2 channel HT600s to 6 channel HT600s. (Read the radio, change the last block to FFFF or 0000, write back to the radio. The 2 channel value is FF00 if I remember right.)

a417

I also use and recommend Dell Latitudes. D620, D630, D820, D830, maybe others. They're still common and dirt cheap. I don't remember ever
the D830 served me well for over a decade. Only issue that kept popping back up was the keyboard flex would fail, but replacing the keyboard was a trivial task. They programmed everything for me, as @ElroyJetson alluded to.

danc107

Premium Subscriber
I have both VHF and UHF Models.
I use a Dell D630 with a serial port. I boot the computer from a DOS boot disk using a USB Floppy drive.
I use a ribless serial cable. The programming software is on the boot disk.
I got the cable on Ebay, it came with the programming software.
It works great.

Can you Pm me?