DEC Police 172.275 Long Island

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
I noticed here they were kinda active yesterday, today (analog)
guess maybe hunting season here? I know Waterfowl next to
me starts tomorrow so maybe thats why? but sometimes the
traffic is interesting? 73,s and Good Veterans Day to all
thank you for all that served and your sacrifices!..Marcy

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
I am curious why the New York DEC Police in Region 1 are operating on a federal frequency allocation.

Is it shared with any federal operations? They do have an FCC license on that frequency but wonder why NTIA gave it to them.

Just curious.

- Chris

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
I don,t know but I will ask the officer next time I see him?
but do not think he is going to answer me? lol!...Marcy

scanbc780

Usually Lurking
I am curious why the New York DEC Police in Region 1 are operating on a federal frequency allocation.

Is it shared with any federal operations? They do have an FCC license on that frequency but wonder why NTIA gave it to them.

Just curious.

- Chris

There is a note under special conditions of the admin tab of the license. I guess it doesn't answer your question but it notes it was issued under a condition they wont interfere with federal operations.

" - This authorization is issued under the condition that harmful interference will not be caused to Federal government stations. - NOTE: Federal government stations may be transitioning to narrowband operations and most are required to do so by Jan. 1, 2005, i.e ., operating 12.5 kHz bandwidth equipment--in some cases using center frequencies "offset" 12.5 kHz from your center frequency(s). Federal government stations are licensed by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA). For information on the Federal government's transition to narrowband operations, go to NTIA's Office of Spectrum Management home page at: Office of Spectrum Management (OSM) | National Telecommunications and Information Administration Non-Federal licensees should note that operation of "25 kHz equipment" increases the likelihood of causing interference to Federal government stations. If interference is caused, non-Federal users must cease operating and modify operations so as not to cause harmful interference to Federal government stations."

k2hz

Database Admin
That and some other 171 & 172 frequencies are available under FCC Part 90 with the following restrictions:

(9) This frequency is reserved primarily for assignment to state licensees. Assignments to other licensees will be made only where the frequency is required for coordinated operation with the State system to which the frequency is assigned. Any request for such assignment must be supported by a statement from the State system concerned, indicating that the assignment is necessary for coordination of activities.

(49) This frequency may be assigned only for forest firefighting and conservation activities in accordance with the provisions of § 90.265.

So NYSDEC is an eligible licensee.

There are also many 173 band frequencies that are Part 90 under special conditions. These frequencies are primarily for telemetry and are available to both public safety and utility systems.

The 170-173 band is not exclusively Federal but protection of adjacent channel NTIA assignments may be required.

ecps92

Way way (90s) back it was thought these were Pac/RT's but now is full Repeater

Anyone ever ID the inputs ? since the license is FB2's and no inputs listed

Just curious.

- Chris

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
The 170-173 band is not exclusively Federal but protection of adjacent channel NTIA assignments may be required.
Yes indeed. I've written about some of the frequencies that are available for non-federal operation in the federal bands. I went back and looked and did find these frequencies that can be licensed in the same way:
East of the Mississippi River:
West of the Mississippi River:

- Chris

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
Been monitoring for a bit today seems active agn mostly
from what I cpy out Riverhead way, out East which makes
sense, more activity out that way..thank you for all the input
and information appreciate it. 73,s Marcy

k2hz

Database Admin
Are they dispatched by "Central" now or Stony Brook Regional HQ? Several years ago DEC went from regional to Central (Albany) dispatch and then decided to put Region 5 & 6 in the Adirondcak Park back on local dispatch from Ray Brook since they needed dispatchers with local familiarity. Most other Upstate Regions mostly use cell phone or their County system instead of radio now. 7N units are Police, 8N units are Rangers but they often omit the prefix and just use unit numbers. First digit would be 1 for LI and 2 for NYC.

Normal procedure Upstate is they always specify which repeater site they are on when calling.

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
I did hear the word "Central" but they mention Riverhead alot...
yes the unit was 1xx you are correct...Marcy

k2hz

Database Admin
"Riverhead" might be their name for the Site 2 repeater which is listed as:
2 MILES SOUTHEAST OF
MANORVILLE, NY SUFFOLK County
But, the associated 151.430 mobile license for the site coordinates calls it "Riverhead". It looks like Site 1 may be called "Huntington" and Site 3 "Southampton".
You would hear something like: "7N123 to Central on Riverhead" "Central is on Riverhead for 123".

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I noticed here they were kinda active yesterday, today (analog)
guess maybe hunting season here? I know Waterfowl next to
me starts tomorrow so maybe thats why?
Alot of checking of Registrations, Permits, Radio Checks
stuff of that nature
Its striper season and there are a ton of fish poachers taking lots of out of season fish. There is lots of activity and it was nice listening as one undercover landed a nice size striper. That operation was not published yet but other activity has been.

warren

EnCon Police call out what repeater they are on "Huntington" located at the Nassau/Suffolk border. They also monitor Suffolk County Command Band

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
They also have their own tg on the smartzone system.

20327f0ANYS DEC PDEnvironmental Conservation PDLaw Dispatch

And that tg would be 127 on the p25 system and has had an extremely minimal amount of activity. I believe tg 129 will be theirs also on p25 based on radio id's seen on both.

Last edited:

nyscan00

Premium Subscriber
They also have their own tg on the smartzone system.

20327f0ANYS DEC PDEnvironmental Conservation PDLaw Dispatch

And that tg would be 127 on the p25 system and has had an extremely minimal amount of activity. I believe tg 129 will be theirs also on p25 based on radio id's seen on both.

Encon units were using tg 2032 for a few hours last week on smartzone but no activity on the p25 side.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I do hear these guys being called on by Command Band dispatchers a few times a week. I may fire up smartzone when the new dongle gets here.

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
"Riverhead" might be their name for the Site 2 repeater which is listed as:
2 MILES SOUTHEAST OF
MANORVILLE, NY SUFFOLK County
But, the associated 151.430 mobile license for the site coordinates calls it "Riverhead". It looks like Site 1 may be called "Huntington" and Site 3 "Southampton".
You would hear something like: "7N123 to Central on Riverhead" "Central is on Riverhead for 123".
Been listening past few days (analog) it,s seems it,s like "Adam 123 to Central" always
do hear Riverhead though ....I copied some calls last night ....73,s Marcy

Last edited: