SDS100/SDS200: Attempting to repair SDS100

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
After an unfortunate fall the SDS100 is not working, displaying all the known symptoms of the "CSJ". Not really trusting the Uniden repair service after some of the non-sense I have heard, I wanted to try and look into myself. I have the case open and the 4 screws removed from the board that the display is attached to. Ribbon cable is still attached to keyboard on the front cover. Have removed the volume/selector knob, but not sure how to remove the board itself to check the antenna connection. If anyone has any insight into this I'd appreciate a bit of guidance, trying to see if a simple re-solder would remedy the problem or if its more in depth and trying not to make it any worse.

Thanks!

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You say you don't trust Uniden repair service, but you don't have any idea as to A) what is wrong with the scanner and B) how to repair it. My suggestion is to bite the bullet and send it to Uniden for a proper repair. If you do, you'll be a hell of a lot closer to a properly functioning SDS100 than you are now.

tumegpc

You should probably think twice about what you're attempting to do. Even though I had a bad CSJ repair by Uniden, I would make them keep doing it till they get it right. There is no other option that I'm aware of.

My last two experiences with Uniden repair were positive. Three weeks or less turnaround.

mancow

Database Admin
No BS, start watching this guy's youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/@NorthridgeFix

You will need good flux, a good small iron, steady hands, optical magnification, good solder and some experience. Everything now is ROHS no lead so it doesn't melt properly and doesn't adhere as it things did in the past and doesn't seem as resilient. Hopefully, you didn't shear any circuit pads.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
After an unfortunate fall the SDS100 is not working, displaying all the known symptoms of the "CSJ". Not really trusting the Uniden repair service after some of the non-sense I have heard, I wanted to try and look into myself. I have the case open and the 4 screws removed from the board that the display is attached to. Ribbon cable is still attached to keyboard on the front cover. Have removed the volume/selector knob, but not sure how to remove the board itself to check the antenna connection. If anyone has any insight into this I'd appreciate a bit of guidance, trying to see if a simple re-solder would remedy the problem or if its more in depth and trying not to make it any worse.

Thanks!
You should probably think twice about what you're attempting to do. Even though I had a bad CSJ repair by Uniden, I would make them keep doing it till they get it right. There is no other option that I'm aware of.

My last two experiences with Uniden repair were positive. Three weeks or less turnaround.
Quite a few comments about poor repair experiences last year. But that seems to no longer be the case. Most units sent in for repair are coming back in good working order, in a reasonably short time. There have been a couple that took longer, but I suspect that either there was a delay due to parts availability, or the repair facility had gotten a little backlogged. We're no longer seeing a number of posts about repairs that had to be redone. If needed, I'd have no hesitancy in sending one of my units back for repair, but at present, there is no need for me to do so.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I personally have used Uniden flat rate repair 3 times.
One took a bit to turn-around, but I got working radios back all 3 times.

Note: I have the skills and have put in my share of bench time in the past, but I also had the schematics and test gear to repair what was on the bench. Without them, don't even consider it... I didn't.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Nevermind..... Obviously asking for tech tips here is completely pointless. Thanks for nothing!

Please come on back here and tell us when you end up bricking your radio.
I love a good we told you so.....

This forum is a wealth of info - and pissing on those here isn't a real good idea if you ever actually need future help..

David628

Premium Subscriber
I sent in what appeared to me by serial number a first generation BCD536Hp that I purchased second hand here in the classifieds several months ago for repair. Namely the "Clock issue" and a few other things. I filled in ALL the necessary/REQUIRED information on the form explaining exactly what was wrong and what I wanted them to repair. Wrote my credit card number on the printed form. I mailed it via USPS with an insured/tracking number and called it a day. Suprisingily one and a half weeks later it was returned to me fully functioning.

Thanks!

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
It’s incidents like these that have convinced me never to buy used stuff online without being able to test it. For the want of $89.00 and a few weeks…. Smh

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
First, I suspect the complaints with Uniden's repairs were tied to getting technicians and parts during the pandemic. We seem to be coming out of that now.

Second, you got no useful information here because it's not available. With very few exceptions, people were sending their units to Uniden, problems or not, because Uniden was the best (and probably the only) place to get the units fixed.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Just because you have a wrench and screwdriver does not mean you can rebuild a NHRA Top Fuel Motor and make it run correct.
Leave it to people that do it for a living.
That would also require a couple of 6-packs and I don't even drink.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Nevermind..... Obviously asking for tech tips here is completely pointless. Thanks for nothing!
"Tech tips" will not give you the experience, tools, and knowledge to repair your scanner. What you're asking for is the equivalent of seeking advice from medical professionals on how to remove your own appendix. Look, I can understand how you must feel having dropped a $700 piece of sophisticated electronics. But, what we're trying to do is to give you advice, not tech tips. What you do with that advice is ultimately up to you.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Way back in the '70s when I was working in retail electronics we'd occasionally get a "shoe box" repair. That was not just CBs and scanners, but even stereo equipment. Someone would decide that they could do a better job themselves than pay the "thieves" at the shop.

They'd end up bringing in the equipment packed into a shoe box and ask us to repair it. Usually we could, but it cost at least twice as much if they'd brought it to use for a relatively simple repair.

One day a customer brought in a big base station CB radio in a bigger than a shoebox container. He and his son had decided to convert it to a mobile, so they took the channel selector, volume, squelch, controls out and mounted them in a project case. They then used 25 pair phone cable to connect them all. It didn't work and he brought it to us for repair UNDER warranty.

He left pretty unhappy because we told him that we couldn't even touch it in that condition, let alone under warranty.

Ahh, the joys of retail electronics.

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
We used to get ‘basket cases’ at the shop. Lots of parts in the trunk, radiator in the back seat. Stopped doing those years ago.

Naturally, we had no idea how the car ran before the customer took it apart, or if their ‘diagnosis’ was correct.

Sometimes they assumed the cost to repair it would be less because it was already apart.

On the other hand, we have a mechanically inclined college professor customer with a prosthetic hand.
He removed the transaxle from his VW bus, rebuilt it, reinstalled it, and drove it to the shop for its annual inspection.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It's the same thing, only a bigger box. :LOL:

We used to get ‘basket cases’ at the shop. Lots of parts in the trunk, radiator in the back seat. Stopped doing those years ago.

Naturally, we had no idea how the car ran before the customer took it apart, or if their ‘diagnosis’ was correct.

Sometimes they assumed the cost to repair it would be less because it was already apart.

On the other hand, we have a mechanically inclined college professor customer with a prosthetic hand.
He removed the transaxle from his VW bus, rebuilt it, reinstalled it, and drove it to the shop for its annual inspection.