Need 800 Mhz Indoor Antenna

SWS053

I'm decoding our county's public safety system using an HP2. No simulcast problems, since one of the antennas is less than half-a-mile away. But I can't lock into our state's phase 1 simulcast system, which is nearly 5 miles away. I'm planning to dedicate a couple SDR dongles and an antenna to that system.

I only care about receiving in that 850 MHz range. My algorithm is to first try the antenna either in the attic, or the indoor living space. If absolutely necessary, I'll pay to have someone roof-mount the antenna. I'm too old to climb up there. No freestanding masts or tree mounts, please. Transmit capability is unnecessary. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

CanesFan95

Shop around on The Antenna Farm. I've bought from them before and had good luck. You'll have to decide on a base or mobile antenna. For the attic, I'd recommend an NMO mag mount. Then choose an 800 MHz-only mobile antenna to go on it. The Antenna Farm can custom make you a longer cable with the mag mount so it can reach the attic. Slap it on a cookie tray to give it a ground place for better receive.

The better brands are PCTEL, PulseLarsen, & Laird. Tram & Browning are low-end quality that you don't want. But what's the attic made of? If it's metal inside, that's gonna hurt the signal strength.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I've purchased numerous antennas, NMO mounts, adapters, and accessories from The Antenna Farm. A really great company with very helpful associates. One of the two-way shops I used to work for would not sell Laird antennas because the plastic loading coil bases would crack (I have several examples). They substituted Em Wave which I own probably 15 or so. They are very wide-band because the whip is so thick. I have two of them for dual-band Ham Radio usage. They are "cut" for 146.00 MHz., but will transmit from 136-156 MHz., and 436-456 MHz. with negligible SWR from top to bottom. The spring is completely encased in rubber, making it completely safe to go through a car wash. I never had one bit of any problem with Em Wave antennas.

Cognomen

You could make one from a piece of coax. I needed a second antenna for testing, so I made this quarter-wave for 700 MHz out of LMR-400. Construction for 800 would be similar. Great signal at the back of a cement shop.

lu81fitter

Not sure where you're planning on mounting this thing, but this will do a good job if your attic is not filled metal. Simply screw it to a wood brace.

Laird TE Connectivity MBC800

Then you would obviously need to get the coax to connect it. You can get custom lengths made here.

The antenna farm is a good choice. I've dealt with them more than a few times.

SWS053

Thanks everyone for all the input. I tried a couple Diamond SRH789 antennas - one on each dongle. To my surprise, those work just fine, even mounted indoors. Extremely happy, to say the least.