Fayette County TRS

JethrowJohnson

I think it has more to do with the Facebook re-tweeters who feel the need to re-tweet EVERYTHING in real time including caller names, patient data (on EMS runs), etc than "hiding" everything.

Scanner enthusiasts aren't the problem, never have been, never will be.

The problem is the rest of the general public who can't refrain from telling the world every time they flatulate.
Ain't that the truth

e92dream

Premium Subscriber
did they give any kind of special goodbye or anything to the old system?
Nothing that I heard. I had walked in another room and heard some commotion then things were silent. A few guys coming on nightshift transmitted over the legacy system and someone would come on and say that they switched over.

JethrowJohnson

Nothing that I heard. I had walked in another room and heard some commotion then things were silent. A few guys coming on nightshift transmitted over the legacy system and someone would come on and say that they switched over.
Huh, I thought they usually gave an announcement broadcast to make sure everyone knew they had to switch their radio to the new system.

spencerwww

I got sds when I go ill try.type same frequinces it picks up phase 2 so.ifntheybare phase 2 if I do ill.put it on here are if anybody finds out if u can let me know

spencerwww

They say there on same frequincrs so not less there phase two and ubdint got phase 2 scanner u should be able pick them up.i hope sds does

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Are you comprehending what FULLY ENCRYPTED ON ALL DISPATCH TALKGROUPS means? No scanner, SDS or otherwise, will decode any ENCRYPTED talkgroups FDMA, TDMA or otherwise.

(Hint: I am directly involved with maintaining a neighboring county system that has mutual aid agreements with Fayette.)

The old Smartnet system will soon go off the air once migration is complete and burn-in is over with.

ki4ask

"Joe Dom" - KI4ASK / WRCL957
Premium Subscriber
Update on the new P25 radio system. I live in Fayette County and know many of the leaders involved in public safety. The new P25 system is live and has been since last month as noted in previous comments. As is the case with any large system deployment, they're continuing to work out the bugs. It's going to be a great system for our first responders and lots of people have been working hard to get this system online. It's public knowledge that the system was purchased with encryption capabilities, as that was even in the publicly released bid specs when the county purchased the system.

At this time (today is Thanksgiving 11/24/22) encryption has not been turned on. I suppose they want to work out the bugs first and that's a good plan. As per the request of the forum moderators, I'll refrain from expressing a personal point of view about encryption.

If you have an SDS100 or SDS200, it's pretty easy to setup your scanner to listen to the new system. Here's an excellent video I used to help me manually program the system -

To the best of my knowledge, the system is using the same frequencies as the previous radio system. Those frequencies are:

For those of you who are amateur radio operators, this new system sounds a lot like DSTAR to me. I do not have a list of the new talk groups, but have begun to monitor and make my own notes based on what I hear. For example, I believe TG 23 is the Fayette County Jail, based on references to pods and cells and TG 3 is FCSO Dispatch. TG 171 appears to be FCFD Dispatch. I will continue to monitor and update this thread as I can.

73, KI4ASK / WRCL957

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Every subscriber was purchased with AES-256, and every talkgroup was strapped per the fleet map we were sent.

Interesting you noted they were all "Strapped for Encryption", yet the gentleman above can hear them.

Not saying they won't go Enc, just pointing out, they apparently weren't "strapped" before deployment.

ki4ask

Premium Subscriber
Not sure how to post a video clip, but here's a screen shot while I was listening to TGID 3 - FCSO. System sounds good from my vantage point in north Fayette County near New Hope Baptist Church.

sds100-fayette-county-p25.jpg

RRR

Premium Subscriber
WACN? Site ID? NAC?

There are so many options you could program that scanner to show that would be quite useful

ki4ask

Premium Subscriber
I'll see what I can do - just literally put the information I had into the scanner about an hour ago. Like many, I thought it was already encrypted and didn't bother until someone told me otherwise and they're right. I have family/friends who work at FCFD and are on duty today, so it's one reason I decided to fire up the scanner today - may go pay them a visit today as well. Happy Thanksgiving radio friends. 73, Joe

ki4ask

Premium Subscriber
Are you comprehending what FULLY ENCRYPTED ON ALL DISPATCH TALKGROUPS means? No scanner, SDS or otherwise, will decode any ENCRYPTED talkgroups FDMA, TDMA or otherwise.

(Hint: I am directly involved with maintaining a neighboring county system that has mutual aid agreements with Fayette.)

The old Smartnet system will soon go off the air once migration is complete and burn-in is over with.

Happy Thanksgiving EB. 73