Low profile antenna recommendation

Elarson6772

Hi

I use an SDS200 mobile scanner in my truck. I drive a large Ram TRX with sport bar and it already barely fits in the garage. Due to other stuff mounted on the truck, I use a third brake light NMO mount made specifically for my Ram truck. From the NMO mount, I have room for about a max antenna length of 15-16 inches. Any suggestions on the best whip-style antenna of that length or less for use with my scanner? I think a wide or tri-band is best but I'm pretty new to all of this.

DeeEx

I appreciate that you’re thinking this through ahead of time, not making an impulse purchase and then questioning the decision.

What band(s) do you want to monitor while mobile? Are there any transceiver antennas mounted on the vehicle as well?

Elarson6772

I appreciate that you’re thinking this through ahead of time, not making an impulse purchase and then questioning the decision.

What band(s) do you want to monitor while mobile? Are there any transceiver antennas mounted on the vehicle as well?

Good questions that I am not sure I know the answers too. In Michigan most of the police, fire, ems stuff is all on the statewide trimmed system and that is 90% of what I hear at home.

Transceiver antenna? Only other antenna is the factory one on the roof that is a shark fin.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
This is the antenna I have used for the past 10+ years on my mobile scanner, currently BC536HP. It works excellently on
VHF/UHF/700/800 MHz. I mainly listen to the Illinois statewide Starcom21 P25 system, but it hears any and all UHF/VHF comms just like it was cut for a general scanning antenna. It is only approx. 12-13 inches with an NMO mount, and will last for years. The nicest part is that The Antenna Farm has them for $30.95. The description says "Roof mount antenna, 3dB gain, 764-869 MHz," but it works so well for UHF/VHF I call it "my keeper."

Here is a shortcut to The Antenna Farm product page: EM Wave EM-M11003
EM-M11003 Mobile Antenna 122518.png

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
15-16" is plenty of room for one of the multiband antennas. My wife's truck has about that much room and it has one of the Larsen NMO-150/450/756 antennas on it.
The whip is pretty flexible and it also has a spring at the base. The top of the antenna hits the garage door when she pulls in, but the antenna flexes out of the way without problems. Her previous SUV did the same thing for almost 10 years without issue.

I've also had the tri band EMWave antenna on it with the same results. Unless you are using some huge/tall antenna, the whips will flex just fine.

N1NVL

I use the Comet B-10 Dual band for both listen and VHF/UHF talk on an SUV when heading into the city with 6ft parking garages. the little critter really does well and I get some decent range out of it -

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I find a standard VHF 1/4 wave works pretty well on a scanner. Especially if listening to TLMR stuff in the area. The Stico 1/4 is expensive but would be ideal for a setup like that.

ve3zxn

Hey prcguy. I tried to contact you some way but through here could not figure it out. I know this isn't the thread but I have built the MT X-wing antenna and it has a great Vswr. From 220 up to 260, as high as I went. Im just wondering how much power on TX will the F "T" connector take? The rest of the antenna is solid but it's the Tee connector that I'm wondering about.

Attachments

• IMG_20221201_1608428.jpg
    IMG_20221201_1608428.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20221201_1608156.jpg
    IMG_20221201_1608156.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20221201_1608228.jpg
    IMG_20221201_1608228.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 25

prcguy

Please PM me for this topic. The X-Wing satcom antenna is designed as a receive only antenna and will not cover the roughly 290-330MHz uplink band. It should however handle a few hundred watts within its 245-270MHz design range but there would be no reason to ever transmit there. It will not work on 220 amateur either being out of the design range and the pattern would point up in the sky.

QUOTE="ve3zxn, post: 3766236, member: 466432"]
Hey prcguy. I tried to contact you some way but through here could not figure it out. I know this isn't the thread but I have built the MT X-wing antenna and it has a great Vswr. From 220 up to 260, as high as I went. Im just wondering how much power on TX will the F "T" connector take? The rest of the antenna is solid but it's the Tee connector that I'm wondering about.
[/QUOTE]

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I also second the Compactenna III. I tried it after using the Larsen 150-450-800 for many years. I find that the Compactenna III works at least as well as the Larsen. I switched mainly because the Compactenna is only 9 inches tall, and my Ford Escape will fit in my garage without the antenna hitting anything. The disadvantage is that the Compactenna is fat and rigid, and striking anything like a low hanging tree branch would likely break it off.

prcguy

There are sheet metal brackets for NMO mounts, some are right angle and some are straight. The OP might be able to mount one of those so the NMO hangs over the rear brake light then if something bad hits the antenna it would bend the mount and antenna out of the way possibly saving some vehicle or antenna damage. Brackets are cheap if it gets bent up.

Another thing that would make this work is the COMPACtenna series tunes up and performs fine with less ground plane than other type antennas, so having its NMO butt hanging in mid air should not cause any noticable performance problems. Here is an example of a right angle bracket.

I also second the Compactenna III. I tried it after using the Larsen 150-450-800 for many years. I find that the Compactenna III works at least as well as the Larsen. I switched mainly because the Compactenna is only 9 inches tall, and my Ford Escape will fit in my garage without the antenna hitting anything. The disadvantage is that the Compactenna is fat and rigid, and striking anything like a low hanging tree branch would likely break it off.

ve3zxn

Please PM me for this topic. The X-Wing satcom antenna is designed as a receive only antenna and will not cover the roughly 290-330MHz uplink band. It should however handle a few hundred watts within its 245-270MHz design range but there would be no reason to ever transmit there. It will not work on 220 amateur either being out of the design range and the pattern would point up in the sky.

QUOTE="ve3zxn, post: 3766236, member: 466432"]
[/QUOTE]
Ok, thanks. I just can't find the option to PM you! Lol. I haven't played with this site much and am a newbie. Please excuse my ignorance. How do I PM you?