Allegheny Co/Pittsburgh

Swatman01

Moving to Pittsburgh area in a few months from NY. Will my Pro-93 suffice for PD and fire monitoring? I've looked at the database and it seems they're conventional systems. Don't really care about state police system as it seems all encrypted. Thanks in advance!

PGHSCANNERWACKER1

Premium Subscriber
Moving to Pittsburgh area in a few months from NY. Will my Pro-93 suffice for PD and fire monitoring? I've looked at the database and it seems they're conventional systems. Don't really care about state police system as it seems all encrypted. Thanks in advance!
Yes that should do I can help you I’m a very big scanner /radio wacker and live in Pittsburgh as well I’m here for all your Pittsburgh scanner questions

Allegheny County is working on the City of Pittsburgh going P25P2. This will be for the Police and most likely will be Encrypted. At the present time on the conventional system they are using they have a few Dispatch channels in the clear and a few P25 ENC. I'm not sure if the Fire Dept will use the new system or they will be able to re-purpose some of the Police freqs as fire TAC channels.
Your scanner will work on the in the clear freqs but not on anything ENC. Even a new scanner wont work on anything ENC.

Last edited:

ffemt134

Allegheny County is working on the City of Pittsburgh going P25P2. This will be for the Police and most likely will be Encrypted. At the present time on the conventional system they are using they have a few Dispatch channels in the clear and a few P25 ENC. I'm not sure if the Fire Dept will use the new system or they will be able to re-purpose some of the Police freqs as fire TAC channels.
Your scanner will work on the in the clear freqs but not on anything ENC. Even a new scanner wont work on anything ENC.

I assume that Fire and EMS would go as well at some point. I've also heard that might be in the works someday for the suburbs in the other zones; too.

PGHSCANNERWACKER1

Premium Subscriber
Pittsburgh police zone 6 working on the encrypted ops channel for dispatch and everything but it just seems like only zone 6 I didn’t know if anyone else had any answers as to why . All other zone are in the clear