Belka DX news (if true)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As my Italian Godfather (yes I had one) used to tell me 'Paceinza Bear' (patience). From everything I have heard it will be worth the wait

I will be curious to see with the upcoming MWDX season how the Belka performs. Unlike most portables, you need to use an external antenna like a loop to really test it More than likely it would have to be an amplified loop (Wellbrook, W6LVP, MFJ, Pixel, etc.) because of was noted previously in this thread, but it should be very interesting for MW (and LW too) DXers in the new season. That circuit shown earlier is very simple to build and a good starter project.

Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
A review of the new Belka in SWLing.com...

Mike
Ollie did a bang up review of the Belka. Because of his review I ordered one at the end of October. Took almost a month to make it to central Ohio. Haven't had enough time to really check it out as the bands collapse way too early at the moment. :( Took me awhile to get over just how small this is. Everything except the BNC connector on one end and the knob on the other can be hidden underneath a business card.

--
Mike
(The other one.)

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
For a small receiver, it works very well. Learn your buttons. Have made some mistakes and lost saved frequencies. Have tried it inside the house with just the antenna and picks up very well. Have fun with yours.

4nradio

I'm really enjoying my new Belka too. I'm happy to find that audio quality and HF reception has not suffered due to the addition of frequencies <1.5 MHz. The stability, AGC, and audio on SSB especially continues to amaze... hard to believe this all comes from such a tiny package!

I'll put in a plug here for the 3rd-party speaker accessory with "clicky" tilt feet and a larger battery than come's with Belrig's own speaker back for the Belka line. IMHO it is worth the extra cost all-around. I purchased mine from the mobimax.bg site. I have both speaker backs for the radio and just prefer the one from Mobimax; the construction is very high quality also.

My ALA1530LN loop really brings the DX signals to life on the Belka (all models). It's great to have a tiny portable that also works great with a "serious" antenna. The supplied whip is a great match to the Belka, however!

BTW, delivery time to my Seattle area location was 28 days.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
The new Belka has been a joy to use. I really need to spend a bit more quality time with it.