Montco trunk system

trafficdan

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if this has been asked before. I am using an sds100 and when I program the Montco (PA) trunked system and only receive voice over the fire/EMS dispatch talk group. I programmed it directly from the radio reference database. Sometimes it will stop on talk groups and there is no voice.

Thanks in advance.

KB7MIB

Sorry if this has been asked before. I am using an sds100 and when I program the Montco (PA) trunked system and only receive voice over the fire/EMS dispatch talk group. I programmed it directly from the radio reference database. Sometimes it will stop on talk groups and there is no voice.

Thanks in advance.

So you're hearing traffic on the dispatch talkgroup, but none of the other talkgroups?

John
Peoria, AZ
(I was born and raised in Abington, (North Hills). My dad was a fire police officer with the Roslyn fire company, 1977-1984.)

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
@Whiskey3JMC uses an SDS to scan Montco. Maybe he can provide feedback. I haven't dropped the money on an SDS scanner. I've been using a Unication G5 for monitoring the system. Not ideal from a general scanning standpoint, but the reception is excellent compared to scanners.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Sometimes it will stop on talk groups and there is no voice.
What specific talkgroups? All LE & any other talkgroup ID'ed as mode "TE" is fully encrypted so perhaps this is what you're encountering? For Fire/EMS you need to ensure the Fire-Tac, Fire-Talk, Interop (for Event Channels) & EMS-Tac service types are turned on. If you programmed in Law Enforcement talkgroups you'll need to permanently avoid that department so the encrypted traffic doesn't interrupt the scan, otherwise delete the department altogether and turn off ID Search if enabled

trafficdan

Premium Subscriber
@Whiskey3JMC uses an SDS to scan Montco. Maybe he can provide feedback. I haven't dropped the money on an SDS scanner. I've been using a Unication G5 for monitoring the system. Not ideal from a general scanning standpoint, but the reception is excellent compared to scanners.
Well folks I found the issue. I did not have the individual services turned on. Once I went into services and turned them all on I got voice.

royldean

FWIW, I've been using my "old" 436HP on the montco system with great results. To be fair, I'm only about a mile (if not less) away from a tower, so I think the signal is so strong that it negates any simulcast issues.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
FWIW, I've been using my "old" 436HP on the montco system with great results. To be fair, I'm only about a mile (if not less) away from a tower, so I think the signal is so strong that it negates any simulcast issues.

I'd say you're lucky. I get aobut 50% of the traffic on my 436...if that. From my location, though, I am in between three different east zone sites. That's why I ended up with the Unication.