DSDPlus Downloadable Group Files from RR Database Not Loading in DSD+

brian86

Database Admin
So I seen the ability to download the Talkgroups from the database that are formatted for DSD+.

The instructions say to move this file in to the DSD+ folder. I have done that and it asks if I would like to overwrite existing files I agree to that no problem. However when I open DSD+ the groups are still not displaying in the groups window. I should note if i open the file in notepad i can clearly see that all the talkgroup data is there, but will not populate in the DSD+ Groups window. Either I am just an idiot or something is wrong with my DSD+.

Can anyone help me out with this?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Most common mistake is the file name, in the file explorer make sure you have show extensions checked under the view tab on the right side to ensure the end of the file is .groups otherwise DSD+ won't recognize it. The best way to load it is to open the file you download from RR and copy the info then paste into existing DSDPlus.groups file.

brian86

Database Admin
Most common mistake is the file name, in the file explorer make sure you have show extensions checked under the view tab on the right side to ensure the end of the file is .groups otherwise DSD+ won't recognize it. The best way to load it is to open the file you download from RR and copy the info then paste into existing DSDPlus.groups file.

I have attached a screen shot. I copied the data into the existing file. I even re-downloaded the base files and dropped the new groups file in the dsd folder and re-copied the data and still I can not get the Group names to load at all.

Attachments

• DSD+Group_Issue.png
    DSD+Group_Issue.png
    382.1 KB · Views: 41

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Screenshot 2023-01-11 21.15.25.png

Show the file extension, if it is easily opened by Notepad with just clicking on it it probably has a hidden .txt extension.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Ok so it does open right to notepad but I don't see any .txt (Obviously its a hidden .txt) so how do I correct this?

Look at the photo in post #4, open your file explorer go to your DSD+ folder, click on view tab at top and on the right side click the show extension box.

OR open your file in notepad, go to SAVE AS change file type to ALL FILES and name DSDPlus.groups then save. See example below.

Screenshot 2023-01-11 21.45.09.png

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Make sure DSDPlus isn't running while you're trying to save the .groups file, otherwise the program will potentially override it with what is in it's cache.

brian86

Database Admin
Ok, I am stumped everything is as I am being told to check and make it but I can't get it to populate in DSD+

I made sure everything was closed and copied the file over to the DSD+ Folder

I opened the file to make sure that it had the correct data after moving it.

I re-launch DSD+ and nothing populates in the group fields.

See screen shot of my DSD+ Folder files. It is labeled accordingly.

Attachments

• dsd+Group.png
    dsd+Group.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 15

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
I think I see the problem.

You're trying to monitor the Joint Capital National Region system. It has multiple System ID's, but the RRDB download only associates them with one System ID (in this case 580A0.00A, whereas the site you're monitoring is on 580A0.015. So, while the list is loaded correctly DSDPlus doesn't realize they're the same system, and thus won't affiliate the entries correctly.

I've seen this on a couple of other systems with multiple ID's, so this is a limitation of RRDB. Your only option at this time would be to manually edit the entries in the DSDPlus.groups file to put the correct System ID on each of the groups that is on that site.

Ultimately the fix for this would have to come from the site admins here (be able to tie specific groups to specific System ID's), or from the DSDPlus developers (be able to "group" System ID's into a single logical system). I just don't know if either would want to put the effort in, since this configuration is fairly rare at this point.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
If you're using Notepad++, you could do Ctrl + F, go to the Replace tab, and tell it to replace all instances of 580A0.00A to 580A0.015 and then save and it should work.

brian86

Database Admin
I think I see the problem.

You're trying to monitor the Joint Capital National Region system. It has multiple System ID's, but the RRDB download only associates them with one System ID (in this case 580A0.00A, whereas the site you're monitoring is on 580A0.015. So, while the list is loaded correctly DSDPlus doesn't realize they're the same system, and thus won't affiliate the entries correctly.

I've seen this on a couple of other systems with multiple ID's, so this is a limitation of RRDB. Your only option at this time would be to manually edit the entries in the DSDPlus.groups file to put the correct System ID on each of the groups that is on that site.

Ultimately the fix for this would have to come from the site admins here (be able to tie specific groups to specific System ID's), or from the DSDPlus developers (be able to "group" System ID's into a single logical system). I just don't know if either would want to put the effort in, since this configuration is fairly rare at this point.

That fixed it I just did quick find and and replace on the System ID and saved the file and now it is working. I only monitor the NAS Pax Site so it shouldn't be a problem for me. See Attached Photo. Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Attachments

• fixed.png
    fixed.png
    332.2 KB · Views: 21