• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

O3 Malfunctioning on 8500

SimpleSkye

I have a new O3 (G revision I believe) on an APX8500 MP where the side & top buttons don't function while on Trunking. They work correctly on conventional, but they all just give me the "un-programmed" bonk on a trunking channel.

The radio had R27, so I took it to R28 then R29 (with matching CPS's). The HHCH also updated at the same time. I wrote the blank codeplug it came with from the factory to it and confirmed everything looks right with no change.

Any ideas?

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
OK. So in trunking personality all those have to be enabled also. Is the talkgroup you are on have secure select enabled ? Is there a scan list assigned to the personality ? Does it allow nuisance delete ? If the "trunking" channel you are on doesn't support the items in the list they are not going to work.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Is this a no affiliate scan setup? Not being the radio police, I have a legitimate reason for asking.

SimpleSkye

OK. So in trunking personality all those have to be enabled also. Is the talkgroup you are on have secure select enabled ? Is there a scan list assigned to the personality ? Does it allow nuisance delete ? If the "trunking" channel you are on doesn't support the items in the list they are not going to work.

Yes, the radio works fine with the O5 and O7 heads, it just doesn't do anything with the O3.

If I reprogram the orange button to scan:
Put the O5/O7 on it, hit scan and it scans on both conventional and trunking.
Put it on a O3, hit scan and it does the "no" bonk on trunking only. Conventional works 100%.

Last edited:

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I think you need to remove them from menu items for them to work on the button. For O5/O7 you set those buttons under "Menu Items". Did you try removing the buttons from that menu ? Alternatively you should be able to scroll right with your MFB to see if there are other menu items assigned.

SimpleSkye

I think you need to remove them from menu items for them to work on the button. For O5/O7 you set those buttons under "Menu Items". Did you try removing the buttons from that menu ? Alternatively you should be able to scroll right with your MFB to see if there are other menu items assigned.

Yeah. I initially removed all the menu items that were going to have buttons assigned to them and reprogrammed the radio after putting the new head on.

I then thought I did something wrong and went back to check the programming which was all good. After a day of messing with codeplugs and settings, I added the menu item for scan back. The menu item for scan will work on trunking, but the hard button won't.

It is really strange. I am going to try a couple other known-good O3 heads tomorrow evening when I can get to them, but was hoping it was something simple I overlooked. Those are on 7500's right now, but I don't think that should make a difference...???

SimpleSkye

Ok, so it gets weirder.

I put the head on a 7500 - it works perfectly in both modes.
I put it back on the 8500, wrote the factory codeplug back to it and then just "made" a nonsense-trunking system thinking maybe the import or dragging / dropping from another radio was messing it up.

Long story short, the secure/clear button will work in trunking (it will do whatever function is assigned to it, in my case Scan) but none of the other buttons do. Everything works fine in Conventional.

The investigation continues...

SimpleSkye

I FIXED IT!!! I FIXED IT!!!

I cloned another blank, yet to be programmed 8500 into it and that resolved the issue. ALL THE BUTTONS WORK! So it must have been something corrupt or wonky in the blank one I had from way back when.

Thank you all for the help!