Vegas Area Digital Threshold

737mech

Premium Subscriber
So I'm asking the locals for what works best on the BCD436HP or BCD536HP for digital threshold settings on the SNACC and other P25 systems in the County? I found a youtube vid of an owner in PHX and he has success with "Manual 7". I welcome ideas and suggestions.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
The last (most recent) firmware release pretty much eliminates the need to adjust those settings, especially if youre monitoring a simulcast system.

Here in Spring Valley, without any hi-rise buildings to reflect signals, I get great audio quality with the radio set to auto.

Even when Im around the Strip I still have good audio quality with the radio set to auto.

If youre having audio quality issues, try experimenting with different antennas or the attenuator.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I got the scanner with that latest firmware so not sure what changed? Monitoring the SNACC and trying to hear the Federal P25 from the Airport I expect to hear HPD HFD and North Las Vegas FD. Not catching much? I get southwest area command ccsd a lot. Will try another antenna currently Diamond SRH320A. Trying a SMA from my Wouxun HT it's getting better so we'll see.

KC8UOK

What's actually in the clear? I assumed all federal agencies would be encrypted but recently learned that might be a mistaken assumption. Trying to decide if it's worth adding a P25 radio to my wishlist

737mech

Premium Subscriber
What's actually in the clear? I assumed all federal agencies would be encrypted but recently learned that might be a mistaken assumption. Trying to decide if it's worth adding a P25 radio to my wishlist
There’s some federal’s on p25 in the clear, the Clark County SNACC system is mostly in the clear. Go through the database only the DE designated talkgroups are encrypted. Vegas area businesses are by far more DMR/MotoTRBO systems.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
700 (BLM/NPS) changed all their freqs, there is a thread going for the new freqs.

But I agree, the radio is quieter these days. More calls are being handled via MDC. Last weekend, AMRs CAD failed and everything was handled by voice on their UHF channels, it was beautiful.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The last (most recent) firmware release pretty much eliminates the need to adjust those settings, especially if youre monitoring a simulcast system.

Here in Spring Valley, without any hi-rise buildings to reflect signals, I get great audio quality with the radio set to auto.

Even when Im around the Strip I still have good audio quality with the radio set to auto.

If youre having audio quality issues, try experimenting with different antennas or the attenuator.
Can you advise what is latest firmware that you use?