220.8125 MHz (base/mobile)Tactical.
220.8175 MHz (base/mobile)Tactical.
220.8225 MHz (base/mobile)Tactical.
220.8275 MHz (base/mobile)Tactical.
220.8325 MHz (base/mobile)Tactical.
220.8375 MHz (base/mobile)Tactical.
220.8425 MHz (base/mobile)Tactical.
220.8475 MHz (base/mobile)Tactical.

APCO continues: "Any Part 90 public safety eligible entity holding a Part 90 license may operate handheld and vehicular mobile units on these channels without needing a separate authorization. Base stations or control stations operating on these channels must be licensed separately. Encryption may not be used on any of the interoperability or mutual aid calling channels. "

Has anyone noted Public Safety use of these frequencies?
w

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've never heard of anyone using those.
They are not listed in the DHS IFOG.
Finding a 220MHz Part 90 radio that did FM analog would be difficult. I think there was some years back, but it's been a long time.

The FCC rules regarding these frequencies goes back quite a ways. Based on the lack of equipment and low adoption rate, I suspect there would be a difficult time finding any users. None the less, it's in the rules:

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
Wasn't the postal service suppose to be in 220-222 mhz with some type of position tracking system?

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Wasn't the postal service suppose to be in 220-222 mhz with some type of position tracking system?

Close. UPS pursuaded the FCC to take 220-222 back from amateur radio for a nationwide system they were going to implement. They didn't, but of course the FCC didn't give the allocation back to the hams, either. It's now marked for commercial use.

PTC (Positive Train Control) which is now being rolled out nationwide uses radios in that band.

So "220" is really "222" for amateurs. 222-225

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
SO nobody, nowhere, nohow has heard PS on 220.?
I'd think some smart depts would use it to keep away from scanner people!

Reactions: wtp

wtp

i started to listen around 1972.
i would not think to scan 220, but now you can't hide from close call.
i would not worry if i got a hit as there would be no reason for them to be watching me.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
SO nobody, nowhere, nohow has heard PS on 220.?

It's hard to find Part 90 220MHz gear in the USA.
There was a company making it years ago, but it was Amplitude Companded SSB. Those radios used to show up on the e-Bays a lot for a while.
And then there's the older Motorola CDM series that were available in 220. Sometimes those still show up on the used market.

There are some utilities using it.

Some good history here:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I designed the model 195H hardware / firmware. It doesn't do P25, but does do 217-220 MHz narrow band over Ethernet/RS-232/RS-485/RS-422.

On the topic, I've never seen P25 in this range yet.

Nice. I've got some 900MHz radios running an RS-422 link for a water system. If that stuff ever craps out, I'll have to take a closer look at this. For the location, 900MHz was a poor choice by the vendor. It was an intermittent link. I was brought in to take a look at it and was able to stabilize it by swapping out some antennas. 220MHz would make for a good option.

I've seen some nice 220 gear from other countries, but just doesn't seem like there is a big enough market here.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Last 220 Part 90 stuff I remember was the CDM1550LS series. Our shop ended up with a couple for some demo. Not even sure where they went after that. May of shipped them back to Motorola at the time.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have never heard anything in my area on any 220 freqs. NYS Pd have some of those freqs above actively licensed as do some various PS agencies as per the database.

Why? Do scanners not cover those freqs?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Yes, many scanners cover 220, but no scanner users rarely program 220!
Lol, the scanner users that are always prepared do. I have one scanner that scans nothing but interop freqs.

I did not see mentioned in this thread but all of those freqs you listed, plus a few more are listed in Canada Interops.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
It's hard to find Part 90 220MHz gear in the USA.
There was a company making it years ago, but it was Amplitude Companded SSB. Those radios used to show up on the e-Bays a lot for a while.
And then there's the older Motorola CDM series that were available in 220. Sometimes those still show up on the used market.

There are some utilities using it.

Some good history here:
Anytone 578 and a Alinco mobile are triband with 2 meters, 1.25meters and 70 cm

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Anytone 578 and a Alinco mobile are triband with 2 meters, 1.25meters and 70 cm

But are they Part 90? The frequencies the OP were talking about are not in the amateur radio segment of the band. To use those frequencies, an agency would be required to use a 220MHz radio that had Part 90 certification.