Chinese reconnaissance balloon spotted over the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
The 4p ET TV news has a map showing it over western Missouri. To me the path appears to follow more-or-less along the jetstream.

Thats why I think it’s just an experimental balloon of some sort. No dangerous payload or spy equipment, maybe a beacon of some sort.

Reactions: btt

wx9svr

Premium Subscriber
The 4p ET TV news has a map showing it over western Missouri. To me the path appears to follow more-or-less along the jetstream.

4pm CST news on KMOV in St Louis had video of it as camera zoomed in above top of Gateway Arch

iowajm780

No, it's much easier to have US consumers pay Amazon to have things shipped to their front door directly from China.

I wonder how many of the people that have their undies in the bunch over this are using Chinese electronics, CCR's, or typing out their messages on computers with Chinese made processors sending through a Chinese made WiFi/Router?
Yep, no lawman, no court, no jury of your peers.. just deep ravines.

Yeah I think they're going to bring it down slowly somehow and just scoop it up and bring it down intact.
That would be ideal to possibly get some useful information from it. I would think it would be shot down or destroyed in mid-air to if necessary to prevent injuries. The PRC will probably do this again at some point I would think.

scanfreqer

Scanfreqer
Premium Subscriber
Who's acting Stupid?? The Chinese or the Americans. I live in Canada so I can see why they just let it go. But the States I figured would have shot it down with out question.???Where the heck was Rittenhouse??? He would have shot it down LOLOLOL

btt

Banned
Banned
It would be interesting to keep an eye on the ISS live feed for the periods the ISS is overhead the U.S. and see if the camera can spot it :)
If only the earths rotational velocity were much slower.. The classified scandals will still be there after the earth moves further west underneath it. lol.

btt

Banned
Banned
I would like to add some perspective. In the past, I designed telemetry to track a balloon system that reached > 100k ft. During the assent, the balloon will move around with the atmosphere (obviously). Once it gets above a certain altitude, the atmosphere no longer affects the position of the balloon in space. Eventually the balloon will appear to "be moving eastward". This is because the balloon is there in space while the earth moves underneath it. It was very cool when this observation became exceedingly apparent. It was not expected until it happened. btw, I'm not suggesting that the Pentagon isn't aware of this "effect". "never let a good crisis go to waste".

We know the balloon has violated U.S. airspace and international law, which is unacceptable,” Ryder said in a press briefing. “We have conveyed this directly to the PRC at multiple levels, and in terms of specific locations I will not be able to go into specific locations other than to say it is moving eastward at this time,” he said, using the acronym of the People’s Republic of China.
He said the balloon is “maneuverable” and “has changed its course, which is why we are monitoring it,” but refused to go into the timing of such change or how the Pentagon has been tracking it, when pressed by reporters.

btt

Banned
Banned
It would be interesting to keep an eye on the ISS live feed for the periods the ISS is overhead the U.S. and see if the camera can spot it :)
I apologize if my previous response was confusing. I thought you were posting with sarcasm regarding how hard it would be to actually get images of a balloon at 90k ft. That is really up there! At that altitude clouds and their respective shadows look like they are almost touching the earth.

btt

Banned
Banned
Let's see if we can do that without 10 pages of CIA "white space".

I would like to add some perspective. Like many others before me, I designed telemetry to track a balloon system that reached > 100k ft. During the assent, the balloon will move around with the atmosphere (obviously). Once it gets above a certain altitude, the atmosphere no longer affects the position of the balloon in space. Eventually the balloon will appear to "be moving eastward". This is because the balloon is there in space while the earth moves underneath it. It was very cool when this observation became exceedingly apparent. It was not expected until it happened. btw, I'm not suggesting that the Pentagon isn't aware of this "effect". "never let a good crisis go to waste".

We know the balloon has violated U.S. airspace and international law, which is unacceptable,” Ryder said in a press briefing. “We have conveyed this directly to the PRC at multiple levels, and in terms of specific locations I will not be able to go into specific locations other than to say it is moving eastward at this time,” he said, using the acronym of the People’s Republic of China.
He said the balloon is “maneuverable” and “has changed its course, which is why we are monitoring it,” but refused to go into the timing of such change or how the Pentagon has been tracking it, when pressed by reporters.

Here is an image of what 100k ft looks like

100k_ft.png

Status
Not open for further replies.