Icom: ID-52 Doesn't like the cold weather.

Beowolfs

I recently purchased an ID-52a radio. As I read through the advanced manual, I came across a note on the battery section where it states the following:
The Battery Protection Function will automatically engage and reduce the power level to Low1 (0.5w) when the temp is 32f or below.

This to me is troubling since I hike in locations that can potentially be lower than 32f. Sierra Navada or such.
All i can say is.... What were they thinking!?
Obviously, this expensive radio must be left at home if traveling to locations that are very cold. Unless you are content with transmitting at 0.5w
Sorry for the long rant. I wonder if there's a way to turn that function off?

Attachments

• ID-52a.jpg
    ID-52a.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 9

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Some battery chemistries do not respond well to low temperatures for discharge or charging. At least you can keep it close to the body until needed.

Beowolfs

Some battery chemistries do not respond well to low temperatures for discharge or charging. At least you can keep it close to the body until needed.
I own the IC-705, a QRP radio which uses the same battery as the ID-52a. The advanced manual mentions nothing about reducing the units power at low temps. Or any precautions about the battery at 32f or less.
However, It does state: Battery Usable temperature range: –20°C ~ +60°C, –4°F ~ +140°F

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Many years ago, I was photographing a sports car race in Georgia in October. One morning was very cool with temperatures in the mid-30s. I noticed that my SLR was acting strange, so I swapped the battery with a spare I had in my pocket. Problem solved. I had to rotate batteries between the camera and a shirt pocket under my coat about every 15 minutes to keep the camera working properly until the ambient temperature warmed up.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I own the IC-705, a QRP radio which uses the same battery as the ID-52a. The advanced manual mentions nothing about reducing the units power at low temps. Or any precautions about the battery at 32f or less.
However, It does state: Battery Usable temperature range: –20°C ~ +60°C, –4°F ~ +140°F
To expand my own knowledge I looked into lithium Ion batteries from different sources for temperature range. Storage, discharge and charging each have their own range with the lower limit higher for storage and charging. I think Icom might be fast and loose for marketing purposes. They should have the same message across products, but that means different divisions need to talk to each other. Seems like the HT designers are approaching the issue with an over abundance of caution. At lease you have come across the information before you found out on the trail in the cold. Knowing that you can take steps to stay ahead of the issue. Finding fault with your kit in the field can have a bad outcome as you know.

RU55

Radio receiver
You might consider keeping the radio under your jacket in cold weather where it can stay warmer. I keep my hand held transciever on my belt, under my jacket, in cold weather.

G7RUX

Having had a read of the relevant bits of the advanced manual I was surprised to see that too, especially as my 52 has seen a fair bit of service in temperatures between -8 and 0 Celsius with no unexpected problems or uncommanded reductions in power. I’m not sure why that is, except the radio tends to sit in a chest pocket on the outside of my jacket, although it was used with no issues (except being slippery!) when covered in ice. I tend to used the BP-307 pack which is a different chemistry to the BP-272 so perhaps that is it.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
How often the the temperature of the actual battery going to get 32f or lower? I would imagine it would have to be well under 32 for the battery to be 32...unless it specifies the ambient temp being 32 or less?

G7RUX

How often the the temperature of the actual battery going to get 32f or lower? I would imagine it would have to be well under 32 for the battery to be 32...unless it specifies the ambient temp being 32 or less?
Not often I would imagine, unless the unit was left off and exposed. I expect the temperature sensor will be within the unit itself rather than the battery.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Looking at averages, how many hams actually operate in those conditions long enough to warrant the concern? I acknowledge there are some like yourself, but a majority of hams don't. If you are needing equipment to perform in extreme conditions, perhaps ham grade equipment isn't the right fit for you. Don't be shocked when you find extreme grade radios to have extreme price tags. Not trying to be a jerk here, just being realistic.
Leaving your radio in a car overnight in sub zero temps would lead me to expect some battery life issues. During the winter, I bring my battery operated test gear and tools inside from my work truck when I get home in the evening. It's a PITA but in order to get the most life out of the batteries, it's what needs to be done.
I think maybe you are reading into this too much. I recommend just taking the radio with you and see how it performs. You may be surprised that it does just fine. If not, you can always sell it and search for a radio that can.

Beowolfs

Having had a read of the relevant bits of the advanced manual I was surprised to see that too, especially as my 52 has seen a fair bit of service in temperatures between -8 and 0 Celsius with no unexpected problems or uncommanded reductions in power. I’m not sure why that is, except the radio tends to sit in a chest pocket on the outside of my jacket, although it was used with no issues (except being slippery!) when covered in ice. I tend to used the BP-307 pack which is a different chemistry to the BP-272 so perhaps that is it.
Hello G7RUX,
Well that's a bit of good news. I'm hoping my radio will behave the same way.

I'm tempted to put the radio (minus the battery) in the fridge, wait until it gets around 32f, take it out and put a room temperature battery. Just for testing.
I was surprised to read that note on the ID-52 manual. Based on the note, the radio will work in freezing temperatures. but will transmit at .5w, something that could easily be unnoticed unless you're paying attention to the power level.

Beowolfs

Many years ago, I was photographing a sports car race in Georgia in October. One morning was very cool with temperatures in the mid-30s. I noticed that my SLR was acting strange, so I swapped the battery with a spare I had in my pocket. Problem solved. I had to rotate batteries between the camera and a shirt pocket under my coat about every 15 minutes to keep the camera working properly until the ambient temperature warmed up.
Thanks for the reply AK9R,
I've not experienced that with my Nikon cameras. I've done plenty of photoshoots at near or just below 32f. What I've noticed is the batteries tend not to last as long.
It could be that Icom decided its not good for the batteries to operate at that temperature and programmed the ID-52 to lower the power so as not to damage the battery or its life expectancy. Perhaps????
Even so.... I don't want Icom deciding that for me. Specially under an emergency situation where having full power at your disposal can be essential.

Beowolfs

Looking at averages, how many hams actually operate in those conditions long enough to warrant the concern? I acknowledge there are some like yourself, but a majority of hams don't. If you are needing equipment to perform in extreme conditions, perhaps ham grade equipment isn't the right fit for you. Don't be shocked when you find extreme grade radios to have extreme price tags. Not trying to be a jerk here, just being realistic.
Leaving your radio in a car overnight in sub zero temps would lead me to expect some battery life issues. During the winter, I bring my battery operated test gear and tools inside from my work truck when I get home in the evening. It's a PITA but in order to get the most life out of the batteries, it's what needs to be done.
I think maybe you are reading into this too much. I recommend just taking the radio with you and see how it performs. You may be surprised that it does just fine. If not, you can always sell it and search for a radio that can.
True, I rarely find myself under conditions that are 32 or below. I've been on several hikes where the temps dropped below 32. Back then I only had Yaesus. Never had any issues with those radios.

I usually hike in groups. however, when alone, I always take a secondary radio. Usually a commercial class such as (Motorolas). Happy to say, I've never had the necessity to transmit due to an emergency situation.