PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I started scanning STARNet after a hiatus and have noticed that most officer in the SW Region (#200 units) that had a portable in the 1234xxx range all now have one in the 1235xxx range. I wonder why they need new radios already? Considering this system is fairly young still. Have other regions gotten new portables recently?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I show PGC subscribers in the 1235xxx range logged as far back as mid-2020, so they're not "new".

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
What I mean by new is the officers (mostly the A-F officers had the 1234xxx radios previously, now all of a sudden most if them are now using the 1235xxx radios. So new as in new to them.

harvick21

Premium Subscriber
Doe anyone know why PGC SW has been on dispatch 2 all day and encrypted? I've heard nothing in dispatch 1 today. PGC NW has been in the clear today.

bearcat

What I mean by new is the officers (mostly the A-F officers had the 1234xxx radios previously, now all of a sudden most if them are now using the 1235xxx radios. So new as in new to them.
Based on the use of ENC all of a sudden leads me to believe that maybe their initial radios were not capable of ENC and now these new ones are. Just a guess

To clarify the Deputies (A-R) radios were not capable of ENC.

I did catch a few SW units on SW 1 in the clear today and nobody told them to switch to SW 2. So maybe there is hope

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully this is just a test to see if encryption works for everyone, and hopefully they'll go back to Dispatch 1 and reserve Disp 2 for sensitive incidents.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Hopefully this is just a test to see if encryption works for everyone, and hopefully they'll go back to Dispatch 1 and reserve Disp 2 for sensitive incidents.
The way they had been operating so far was to do just that. Previously, I'd hear units switch to 2 for warrant service, or some kicense checks, but otherwise stay on 1. One warden out this way used to have his mobile on 1 and portable on 2 based on site affiliation data.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I see PSP talkgroups popping up? Are they adding to the system or just talkgroups seldom used?
Perhaps if you were more specific and told us which talkgroup ID's you're referring to, we could answer the question. You might want to also check the list of unconfirmed talkgroups in the wiki to see those which have already been noted over the past 5 years or so.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
No, but it seems like there was a lot of activity on SE Dispatch 2 the past few days, as well. Bummer.
PGC NE had some transmissions on the NE secure TG today as well, marking the first time that talkgroup has been used for actual transmissions in the region. Also worth noting that there were a few transmissions on the clear NE TG this morning, with all activity since taking place on the secure TG. Guess we'll have to see what tomorrow and beyond brings, but there does seem to be a pattern developing here.

harvick21

Premium Subscriber
SW has been secure 100% since Friday 2-17-23
After speaking to PGC supervisor all PGC encrypted full time for "officer safety". Refused to provide any specific incident. Basically same bs reason that PSP and Erie Co gave. Except PSP and Erie Co don't like the public or media monitoring and that is a direct quote from Erie Co dept head. Funny how that all talk about transparency but really don't believe it.

harvick21

Premium Subscriber
After speaking to PGC supervisor all PGC encrypted full time for "officer safety". Refused to provide any specific incident. Basically same bs reason that PSP and Erie Co gave. Except PSP and Erie Co don't like the public or media monitoring and that is a direct quote from Erie Co dept head. Funny how that all talk about transparency but really don't believe it.
Now official PGC NW now encrypted using Disp 2. Hearing that through Allegheny Regional tower. Interesting how they all went to Ch 2 rather than Ch 1 since I can't see any reason why you could ENC that one. So after almost 35yrs of listening to PGC all wiped out due to arrogance.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Allegheny Region Simulcast has the same control channel for me to get any information off of site 3.2.

It's not near the ALLE simulcast. POTT12 is in central Potter, so 3.002 is likely going to be in either Potter or McKean County. It could be a fill in for coverage issues in northern Potter (radio unfriendly terrain up there) or a new site for McKean County coming onto the state system later this year. Someone in that northern tier area ought to check other sites for a new neighbor so it can be narrowed down.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
After speaking to PGC supervisor all PGC encrypted full time for "officer safety". Refused to provide any specific incident. Basically same bs reason that PSP and Erie Co gave. Except PSP and Erie Co don't like the public or media monitoring and that is a direct quote from Erie Co dept head. Funny how that all talk about transparency but really don't believ
Figures, might as well sell the scanner. Not much to monitor once everyone goes P25. All the interesting traffic will be encrypted and I don’t listen to PennDOT anymore, all they know how to do is yell into their mics like everyone is hard of hearing on the other end.

Last edited: