wheres a good source to learn get started in sdr ?

ArloG

I guess i asked a touchy Question on here yet Again! But thanks all for the replies not yet sure i wanna jump at sdr yet.
First thing to ask yourself. Your budget? Because starting out a good sdr dongle will get your feet wet. Stick with a reputable manufacturer.
Your radio background? Very important to know. And your desired monitoring frequency range. What you wish to listen to?
Give us an idea instead of the guys popping in that you need this and that. Let's start with that.
Where do you live? In or close to a city or out in the boonies?

The hardware to get you started can be quite inexpensive. Remember. Cheap is as cheap does. Although the RTL based dongles can be a nice starter. To beat you to the subject. You wont be listening to the ham bands on HF. So. Look at their frequency range.
Don't forget an antenna and cabling. You'll need that. The little whip you see on the eBay, Amazon dongles wont do much at all for reception.

You could be up and running in as little as 1/2 hour. And no. You don't need to have a Linux computer. There are many Windows sdr applications that do dandy. From dead simple to feature rich. You don't need a super robust computer to get started either. Although you may have performance issues with a 200 buck wally world laptop.

For a starter sdr program. HDSDR will be very easy to use. If you just wish to get listening to the radio and see what's out there.
It won't blind you with tabs and settings that will set you in the 5th dimension "upstairs". It's my go-to sdr application for the several radio's I have.
The SDRPlay line of radios are quite nice. Not as cheap as a simple RTL dongle. But one won't leave you wanting. There are others in the price range. Starter budget is important if you're going to be a casual user. Like my experience here has been. A few are quite helpful and then there are the arrogant ones. The question is in no way "touchy". Think of them as aggressive car salesmen on a slow month.

As SDR usb based radios aren't locked to just one application to operate them. You can start out baby steps and slowly dive in as deep as you wish. So give us a little info on the scope of your interests.

MCWKen

I am not insisting anyone, including the chap who asked the question, what to use/run ect. I went into using an SDR for ADSB (flight/aircraft tracker).

There are complexities no matter what you want to listen to.....as ArloG nicely put.

I went from one program to another, and finally ended up playing with OP25. There is much trial and error involved in Windows (using VirtualBox). Basically, I decided to convert both computers to Ububtu (Linux). Then more tweaking until now I have a very stable operation now. I listen 99% of the time to State Radio in Iowa (a Project 25 P2 system).

I will tell you, if you decide to jump into OP25, there are some great people, including both of the developers/coders who are in the forums which are VERY helpful. They lend their experience from the basics, to the complexities for those who try to change parameters in the program. If it were not for them, I would have never gotten to where I am today.

I use a Nooelec nesdr, and it is stable given the low signal I monitor.

In any event, that has been my experience, take it for what it's worth. But above all, have fun with using an SDR, for whatever application you want.

gatsat

I have a free course you may be interested in. This will get you started with SDR in an afternoon.

I just started your free course and it's super helpful, I like the layout and pace! Quick question, is the 'Advanced Course' a one time fee or recurring? Also, do you accept PayPal/Venmo/etc?

Thanks!

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the feedback. The advanced course is one time payment. Note - we are still building out the Advanced course. At this time, We have a few more modules until it is complete.

MCWKen

Well, that was a waste of time. It had nothing about Linux or OP25. Always looking for tips and hints, but that course only dealt with Windows. Sorry old sock.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Well, that was a waste of time. It had nothing about Linux or OP25. Always looking for tips and hints, but that course only dealt with Windows. Sorry old sock.
The beginner's course was only for Windows. Nowhere did it mention that it was for Linux users. Linux, IMHO, is more of an advanced user OS rather than an "Average Joe" OS. Most beginners in SDR are windows users, so that is where I focused on in that course.

As stated in my prior post, the Advance Course is still being built. The planned Linux Modules will become their own course and the current Advance course will remain Windows based. (I'll take care of current Advance course users when the Linux course is released) There are already a lot of windows modules there and adding Linux, I feel, will become overwhelming for anyone who takes that course.

gatsat

Thanks for the feedback. The advanced course is one time payment. Note - we are still building out the Advanced course. At this time, We have a few more modules until it is complete.

I briefly clicked through the payment option for Advanced Course last night, I thought it said a credit card must stay on file. Is there a reason for that? I would rather pay with PayPal (or similiar) one time and be done. Thanks!

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Course is hosted by Teachable and CC payments are handled by stripe.. I'm not sure why they want to keep your CC on file. "Save my billing for future purchases" is a check box that you should be able to decline. I also tried to sign up for the course and PayPal plus ApplePay were both options besides credit card.
1677619818897.png

gatsat

Course is hosted by Teachable and CC payments are handled by stripe.. I'm not sure why they want to keep your CC on file. "Save my billing for future purchases" is a check box that you should be able to decline. I also tried to sign up for the course and PayPal plus ApplePay were both options besides credit card.
View attachment 137384
Ok, I must have not been looking closely enough. Thanks! I am really enjoying the free course and will likely purchase the advanced. My goal is to get some RPi scanners up and running.

iowajm780

Ok, I must have not been looking closely enough. Thanks! I am really enjoying the free course and will likely purchase the advanced. My goal is to get some RPi scanners up and running.
Same here. Dongles are coming in a couple of days and want to use my Raspberry Pi4. Can't wait to get to this project.