Central Vermont VSP digital?

ecps92

I'm not familiar with two-way radios but if your saying they transmit better and that those using them can hear better than what I'm hearing on my scanner, they must be having some trouble or they wouldn't be doing radio tests/checks all morning.

Now for the last few hours they've been coming in crystal clear!! Finally!
They generally RX better, especially if on a simulcast P25 system. Only throwing that out, as a thought.

Not knowing why all the testing it could be aligning audio paths, console volumes etc as well
time will tell as they continue to build out the P25 conversion

Skyd

I've had the old analog tones programmed into my scanner and wondered why I never hear anything from VSP. I'm across the river from the Saint Johnsbury location so I'd figure I could pick them up ok. Time to go clear out my analog CTCSS tones and see what I can hear :cool:

Blackink

I wouldn't clear them out yet!! At least for the Berlin VSP. They're still having broadcast problems on the digital and yesterday they were testing and broadcasting on analog. I can't tell you about St. J., I don't listen to them where I am.
Williston seems to be doing fine on their NAC channel.

Skyd

I wouldn't clear them out yet!! At least for the Berlin VSP. They're still having broadcast problems on the digital and yesterday they were testing and broadcasting on analog. I can't tell you about St. J., I don't listen to them where I am.
Williston seems to be doing fine on their NAC channel.
I wasn't going to put in the NAC, just clear out the analog tones so I can hear either.

MB

Feed Provider
I wasn't going to put in the NAC, just clear out the analog tones so I can hear either.
Not sure if you would hear the actual digital transmissions if you cleared out the PL tones. Depending on your receiver. If its in analog mode you would hear a burst of noise when they transmit digitally.

Skyd

Not sure if you would hear the actual digital transmissions if you cleared out the PL tones. Depending on your receiver. If its in analog mode you would hear a burst of noise when they transmit digitally.
I can hear the APCO 25 transmissions just fine, but the fact I had a CTCSS tone programmed in was the reason the channels were so darn quiet. lol.

Blackink

Just got word from a friend that they are indeed having a heck of a time getting it up and running clearly. There are probably other issues going on but from this end of the scanner, they transmit like crap a lot of the times on those NAC channels.

I wonder why Montpelier PD comes in and works flawlessly on their NAC digital but VSP struggles?

Blackink

I'm still hearing the VSP in my area: Central Vermont and surrounding towns/cities still using analog.
Anyone have more current info on when they will switch over to digital??

Metronorthradio

FREQ OF NATURE
They should’ve went with vhf long ago after low band. Digital sucks, PERIOD. Motorola is garbage and is never tax payers convenient. what’s the issue ? New Hampshire been using ASTO 25 since 2001 ( STILL HAVING ISSUES) the Batwing labs just want ur $ and then when they say update, GAME OVER, ur stuck with them. They should just stick with Kenwood. Cables and software are way cost effective and no red tape to force departments to waste money. KISS= Keep It Simple Stupid. What’s taking VT so long?

ecps92

They should’ve went with vhf long ago after low band. Digital sucks, PERIOD. Motorola is garbage and is never tax payers convenient. what’s the issue ? New Hampshire been using ASTO 25 since 2001 ( STILL HAVING ISSUES) the Batwing labs just want ur $ and then when they say update, GAME OVER, ur stuck with them. They should just stick with Kenwood. Cables and software are way cost effective and no red tape to force departments to waste money. KISS= Keep It Simple Stupid. What’s taking VT so long?
There is no mandate to go P25 anyway, stay Analog and the UHF when built out properly would work

The only P25 (current mandate) is for Interop when using Grant Money and that is carefully worded that the radios need to be Capable of Operating P25, doesn't mean they MUST

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Not sure why you think digital sucks. It comes in clear as a bell here in Central Vermont and I'm hearing frequencies from as far away as New York and New Hampshire.....
On top of the additional capabilities and DAQ/range improvement over narrowband, it's normal for digital radios to have slightly higher sensitivity in digital compared to analog. This isn't 2002 with XTS3000s.