Alias

Sleepyowl

Is it possible in SDRtrunk to hear calls that are not associated with the Alias list that is tied to the Channel playing. I have all Fire in my alias list
for Kosciusko Co. Trunked P25 2 and hear police alos. They do not show up in the Alias column either

Thanks to all in advance

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
That's normal. If you only want to listen or record certain items in your alias list, set those of interest to your prefered listening preference, and then then do this.

Go in alias list and choose New. Select P25 Talkgroup Range. Set the range to 1-65535 . Then give it a name and turn off Listen and Record.
I set mine to listen and record to be alerted of new tg's on the system

1678372615732.png

Sleepyowl

Is it possible in SDRtrunk to hear calls that are not associated with the Alias list that is tied to the Channel playing. I have all Fire in my alias list
for Kosciusko Co. Trunked P25 2 and hear police alos. They do not show up in the Alias column either

Thanks to all in advance
OK so I understand , I am hearing talk groups that are not listed in my Alias list. Your saying to add line in the Alias list With the talk group number range . ?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If you set everything in your list to either listen/record or not listen/ not record, those tg's will do what they are told. Any new tg's that are not in the aias list will play.

If you set the tg range from 1-65535, (which is the lowest and highest possible tg) it will treat any tg that is not in your alias list to follow the setting you choose. So if you do not wish to hear anything other than what's in your list, and listen and record are set to off, you will not hear them.

I have a nice list and set it up range on mine to both listen and record. I rarely listen live but do record everything and play back when wanted thru trunking recorder. I select the tg's of interest and let them play the recorded calls thru the browser. So if I wanted to see any and all tg's that were on the system that were not in my list, I select the tg range (named unknown) in trunking recorder and it will play all those back sequentially. Good for trying to id new tg's from recordings.

Sleepyowl

If you set everything in your list to either listen/record or not listen/ not record, those tg's will do what they are told. Any new tg's that are not in the aias list will play.

If you set the tg range from 1-65535, (which is the lowest and highest possible tg) it will treat any tg that is not in your alias list to follow the setting you choose. So if you do not wish to hear anything other than what's in your list, and listen and record are set to off, you will not hear them.

I have a nice list and set it up range on mine to both listen and record. I rarely listen live but do record everything and play back when wanted thru trunking recorder. I select the tg's of interest and let them play the recorded calls thru the browser. So if I wanted to see any and all tg's that were on the system that were not in my list, I select the tg range (named unknown) in trunking recorder and it will play all those back sequentially. Good for trying to id new tg's from recordings.
Many Thanks

iowajm780

Still trying to figure this out. I thought I am exluding talkgroups but they continue to get through. I keep getting snow plow traffic and miss the ones I want to hear since they seem to talk forever. I think the radio's time out timer finally cuts them off. Just when you think you have it, then you don't.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Can you post Windows screen shots of your channels tab with the said system selected and your alias list?

Setting up the tg range and turning off record and listen should be excluding any tg's that are not in your alias list. How many max traffic channels do you have it set for?

iowajm780

Tried the talkgroup range and stuff is still getting though. Nothing I can do stops talkgroups I don't want to listen to stop that. Unfortunately there is a snowstorm and the city plows have taken over the radio system and there is not much I can do to avoid them. I do notice the talkgroup does show in the status box, it's just muted. But by stopping on it, that is taking a resource even though it's not playing audio. So a talkgroup that is supposed to come through will not since it is still being held up. SDR Trunk just seems so counterintuitive. Rather that making an easy way to select what you want to hear and not, you have to make alias lists of stuff you want to hear and more alias lists of what you don't want to hear. The talkgroup range alias list is a good example of that.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I do notice the talkgroup does show in the status box, it's just muted. But by stopping on it, that is taking a resource even though it's not playing audio
That is normal. It's going to display what it see's on the control channel. When its playing audio is when its using resources.

Tried the talkgroup range and stuff is still getting though. Nothing I can do stops talkgroups I don't want to listen to stop that.
Can you post screenshots of the items mentioned in post 7 ? Just sounds like something may be set wrong somewhere.

iowajm780

I think I figured it out. I am not claiming victory yet, but if stays the way I have it currently, then I will let you know what I did. It has been frustrating but it's something new to me. So thanks to all who have helped. Good thing I am testing this before I deploy it on my dedicated PC. But so far it's working pretty nifty. My scanners completly get hammerd from simulcast distortation on a VHF P25 system. I did not want to plunk down $600 for a SDS on basically one system. Luckily the 800 MHz P25 system here is not simulcast so of course everything works great.

iowajm780

Here was the train wreck.

First, it's my fault how SDR's and SDR Trunk work. For some reason I changed the number of channels of the voice tracking SDR from 4 to 1 because I saw all those other talkgroups appear thinking that was a problem. Since SDR's receive multiple things at one. I put that back to 4. Was wonder why I was getting a all channels maxed out (something like that) since I only had one channel. Could do a stereo setup, maybe some other time to monitor more.

Setting up the ailias list correctly from RR and muting the talkgroups I don't want to hear does work as intended. I figured out to do a mass mute all at once, thankfully for that.

So finally everything is working at attended and thank you to all the members that helped. The only little issue is I am using Trunkin Recorder to listen to talkgroups remotely. How do I sit on one talkgroup?. I highlited the one and clicked contimous playback. That does not seem to work. If I have auto play new calls just advances it to the next call. I understand this is the best way to hold a talkgroup. I could mute all TG's in the alias list except the only one I want. Kind of a pain so I found out Trunk Recorder is the best way. Can't figure out that one.

Going to get a couple of more SDR's since this so great for what they do at a cheap price.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
There is a manual that covers many things about the program here

User Manual​

Trunking Recorder is the way to go. That program has many options but the easiest is,when playing back in the browser, select the tg or tg's of interest from the drop down box, and it will only play those. Tic on continuous and Auto Play New Calls.

Features​

Trunking Recorder - Recording audio from trunked radio systems monitored by Unitrunker and SDRTrunk

Installation with SDRTrunk​

Last edited: