Con Fire Battalions

officer_415

Database Admin
I was updating the DB to reflect the annexation of East Contra Costa FPD by Con Fire, renumbering from Battalion 5 to Battalion 9, and some other corrections.

I notice that Crockett-Carquinez FPD is listed as sharing talkgroups E7 thru E9 with Battalion 7, does anyone know which talkgroups are assigned to El Cerrito FD and Kensington FPD?

N6ML

I've been away for a couple of years, so maybe something has changed recently (doubt it) ... but from years of monitoring, ConFire has never used channels assigned to batallions. I may have been part of some original plan when they went to EBRCS, but I don't think it was ever implemented. I argued a bit with kma371 about the mispresentation in the RRDB years ago, but wasn't able to convince him. In reality, the first channel on each area (west/central/east) is dispatch, and the other channels (x2 thru x9) are treated as a pool for tactical, command and training use, and are assigned (regardless of batallion) as needed. I don't believe there's any concept of an "incident channel" either. A few years ago, they implemented a new procedure of assigning a command channel as well as a tactical channel for structure fire responses (they also do it for other major incidents sometimes). Training exercises are generally assigned channels from the end (x9, then x8, etc) but those channels can be used for real incidents when needed. IMO channels x2 thru x9 should be labelled something like "[Central, etc] Tac/Cmd". I've never heard the x10 channels used.

ECPD279

Premium Subscriber
El Cerrito / Kensington are dispatched on CON DSPW - the west end dispatch channel.

They generally use CON E5 for scene command.

All rigs and stations have dual radios, with the second tuned to RMD 1. This allows the engines to be direct dispatched by Richmond for automatic mutual aid. When an engine is dispatched on one channel, they will notify the dispatcher on the other channel what they're doing, and that they're unavailable.

The engines have recently been renumbered.

Engine / Truck 71 (El Cerrito Mid-Town) are now 51
72 (El Cerrito - Arlington) is now 52
65 (Kensington) is now 55.

Something to do with a clockwise numbering system.

Last edited:

ECPD279

Premium Subscriber
As for naming the TG's, in the radios and fleet maps the non-dispatch channels tend to be only labeled as CON E2, CON E3, etc. Only channels with a dedicated use are "named".

RJS

Premium Subscriber
As for naming the TG's, in the radios and fleet maps the non-dispatch channels tend to be only labeled as CON E2, CON E3, etc. Only channels with a dedicated use are "named".
I have also noticed changes in dispatching of mostly code 2 calls on B2, C2 and E2 instead of all the dispatches done on B1, C1 and E1 of the past. Not sure if all areas of the county are dispatched as what I've notice, but something to listen for and clarify.

N6ML

I have also noticed changes in dispatching of mostly code 2 calls on B2, C2 and E2 instead of all the dispatches done on B1, C1 and E1 of the past. Not sure if all areas of the county are dispatched as what I've notice, but something to listen for and clarify.

From a quick bit of (remote) monitoring, it appears that C1 and C2 are patched together (also B1/B2 and E1/E2). I wonder if they have the AMR units monitoring x2 and break the patch whenever there's a medic-only call? Just a guess - more observation needed....

Also slightly interesting is that I'm getting B1(/B2) and E1(/E2) on East Simulcast, which is new to me (maybe enabled by increased capacity from phase 2 implementation?)

qc

Premium Subscriber
It's back up yesterday, 7-18-23 6052 was down, and the only dispatch activity was on 6006 CONFD B2; I also can confirm that 6006 and 6052 are patched

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
ConFire has begun patching VCON CEN to B13 during situations requiring units switch to VHF (usually grass fires and rescues in the hills). I imagine (but have not observed) the same is happening in the other regions.

The db goes up to B10. Seems they've filled in a bit. Has anyone logged B13 TGID?

Some might recall they previously patched VCON to B1 or B2 when VHF coverage was needed. They no longer do this.

daniel18522

This morning during a vegetation fire in Walnut Creek they did the same. They requested VCON CEN to be patched to B13. Looks like TG 6057 is the new B13. Formally the ADMIN WEST channel. Some units were talking on VHF and others were on EBRCS. There were no radio IDs for the VHF to EBRCS patch.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
This morning during a vegetation fire in Walnut Creek they did the same. They requested VCON CEN to be patched to B13. Looks like TG 6057 is the new B13. Formally the ADMIN WEST channel. Some units were talking on VHF and others were on EBRCS. There were no radio IDs for the VHF to EBRCS patch.

Exactly what I was after, thanks.

EKS510

Apologies if someone has already addressed this previously; For some time it seems ConWest has been using CONFD E2 (TGID 6041) as their dispatch? As opposed to the listed west dispatch TGID 6054, can anyone else confirm this and if this will be the new permanent dispatch channel so I can change the listing on my sentinel. I know this first started quite a few months back, initially I was told by a friend who works AMR that the hope was to dispatch primarily commercial and residential fires on CONFD E1, leaving E2 for medical, lift assists and other non working fire incidents. I am not sure if this was ever put into place.. any information would be appreciated.

N6ML

Apologies if someone has already addressed this previously; For some time it seems ConWest has been using CONFD E2 (TGID 6041) as their dispatch? As opposed to the listed west dispatch TGID 6054, can anyone else confirm this and if this will be the new permanent dispatch channel so I can change the listing on my sentinel. I know this first started quite a few months back, initially I was told by a friend who works AMR that the hope was to dispatch primarily commercial and residential fires on CONFD E1, leaving E2 for medical, lift assists and other non working fire incidents. I am not sure if this was ever put into place.. any information would be appreciated.

Are you sure that it's "as opposed to" and not "in addition to"? Read back to the comments in this thread from June. I haven't been monitoring recently, so not sure about the current situation...

EKS510

Are you sure that it's "as opposed to" and not "in addition to"? Read back to the comments in this thread from June. I haven't been monitoring recently, so not sure about the current situation...
ThanksI remember reading that specific comment but somehow completely glanced over the "E1,E2" portion. I will continue to monitor to see if it's still the case. Thanks for pointing it out, cheers.