Zetron Model 27 Receiver Monitor Panel Questions

N9JIG

Sheriff
Another question:

Has anyone wired in a headphone jack to the Model 27 so one can use cans?

Last edited:

tip

Premium Subscriber
The 27 has molex type connectors for each speaker group.... they can be removed to make wiring easier. I don't recognize the terminal connectors as being used for this application.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
I have the Behringer RX1602 V2 Rackmount Line Mixer and a single good Yamaha monitor speaker but now I'm thinking Zetron Model 27. I had no problem finding a new one. The mixer is only 1.5 inches high (1U) and fits right under my monitor on top of my 4U Box. The mixer does the same job as the Model 27 with a "alot more buttons" and you can separate the volume by the device. Whereas with the Model 27 you only get 2 volumes a left and right and they can both control 8 devices. What do I do? Constant shack dilemma...

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have the Behringer RX1602 V2 Rackmount Line Mixer and a single good Yamaha monitor speaker but now I'm thinking Zetron Model 27. I had no problem finding a new one. The mixer is only 1.5 inches high (1U) and fits right under my monitor on top of my 4U Box. The mixer does the same job as the Model 27 with a "alot more buttons" and you can separate the volume by the device. Whereas with the Model 27 you only get 2 volumes a left and right and they can both control 8 devices. What do I do? Constant shack dilemma...
I prefer the mixer approach as it provides the option to use headphones or speaker. In my application I can plug my headphones into either the mixer itself or a jack on the speakers. I use stereo computer speakers for the mixer as it is more convenient for me to plug the headphones in and adjust the overall volume using the volume on the speakers.

If I had to do it all over again I would probably go with the RX-1602 over X2222 I have now. The smaller size of the 1602 (1u for the 1602 and 8u for the X2222) and less complicated controls are key.

The Model 27 has its advantages as well, especially to an experienced dispatcher. The built-in speakers and layout with mute buttons and activity indicators appeal to those trained users. While larger than the 1602 (3u for the Model 27 vs 1u for the 1602) the simplicity in operation of the Model 27 is awesome once you set it up. Once you have a baseline audio level set up with the scanners you can fine-tune the audio levels on the scanners for individual control or the right/left volumes for group levels.

I still waffle between the Model 27 and a mixer, since they both are pretty inexpensive I might end up getting both a 1602 and a 27 and trying them out to replace the X2222 I have now.

JimD56

Feed Provider
I just ordered my sealed "New in the Box" Model 27 from eBay. I will try both and whatever I don't use I will sell here on RR Classifieds. Also, the connections I spoke of earlier are the same as what Rich posted except they are 2 and 4 which you can stack together vice the actual 12. The 12 prong is definitely the way to go and I will wait and see what comes with a New Model 27 and order accordingly.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The Model 27 has its advantages as well, especially to an experienced dispatcher. The built-in speakers and layout with mute buttons and activity indicators appeal to those trained users. While larger than the 1602 (3u for the Model 27 vs 1u for the 1602) the simplicity in operation of the Model 27 is awesome once you set it up. Once you have a baseline audio level set up with the scanners you can fine-tune the audio levels on the scanners for individual control or the right/left volumes for group levels.

I still waffle between the Model 27 and a mixer, since they both are pretty inexpensive I might end up getting both a 1602 and a 27 and trying them out to replace the X2222 I have now.

GO WITH THE MODEL 27!! GO WITH THE MODEL 27!!

Whereas with the Model 27 you only get 2 volumes a left and right and they can both control 8 devices. What do I do? Constant shack dilemma...

Incorrect. The volume controls on the front panel control only four channels each. In addition, there are individual volume control trim pots for each channel on the back of the Model 27. Once you have those set you can also tweak individual volume with the scanner's volume control (if you're using the speaker or earphone jack to feed the Model 27). Finally, each channel has a mute control which you can enable if you want to mute out one or more radios.

The only thing that would have made the Model 27 better would be the individual channel volume controls on the front panel; the old Motorola CentraCom monitor rack was set up that way.

I'd rather have two speakers with four radios each than one speaker with eight radios.

N9JIG

Sheriff
For those who recently purchased one of these on eBay: Are the plug-in terminal blocks included?

JimD56

Feed Provider
Just got my BRAND NEW Model 27. Perfect NEW Shipped Condition Vintage 1992. It includes ALL connectors, Manual, and RJ11 Cable. The connectors are the 12 Post ones spoken of earlier.

This eBay Seller has one Left.

lbashaw

I recently acquired the Zetron Model 27 board, without connectors..,after reading the above posts on 12 pin plug types, I was hoping someone might have the correct source where these could be obtained (possibly a link with correct plugs).