Q about amateurs frequency allowed to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio2love

Kevin, I was very careful after I heard this and many similar cases.
I spend a lot of time digging for local legislation before travel to other country with my pleasures

So I called FCC
They asked me to provide them with FCC ID of my boys that I carry since the creation of the radio
I found these numbers and furnished FCC with them via email
They replied that I have to speak with engineers because only they know what kind of license needed for devices under Part 15
I send the emails to engineers, which came back to me with what I just quoted above

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
That or trolling maybe.

Does this look familiar?

Definitely trolling. The FCC doesn't have the smartest bunch of employees anymore, but there is no FCC Engineer who is going to say that you can transmit wherever you like without a license on radios with Part 15 certifications. Would love to see a copy of that email to change my mind.

merlin

Thank you folks, but my question are not related to licensing.

I would like to know if the allowed (to use) amateur frequencies in NY state are the same as Colorado or Utah.
Could you please advise?
It is simple on a global scale. "YOU CAN NOT LEGALLY TRANSMIT ON ANY AMATURE FREQUENCIES
WITHOUT AN AMATEUR LICENSE".
To answer your question specifically "NO, YOU CAN NOT." and Colorado/Utah is no exception.
IF you are a licensed amateur, then YES, and within the limits of your license class.
License free bands have been covered.

bill4long

Okay, that got an LOL out of me when i clicked the link.

Curious, what is the make/model of your radios?

And yes, as others have said, 462.6125 is an FRS frequency. It has nothing to do with Amateur Radio. FRS does not require a license. (Technically, it is "license by rule.")

Click here to read about it:

You are only allowed to use FRS radios that have been certified for FRS usage, and already have the FRS channels programmed into it. There are literally hundreds of them for sale on Amazon. You may not program another kind of radio, such as Amateur Radio, on that frequency and transmit on it, if you want to be legal. Some people do it anyway.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Possibly, he is lumping FRS, GMRS, and MURS with HAM/AMATURE vs public safety/commercial freqs?

Frank
I suspect you're right.

His conversation with the FCC was probably about FRS or GMRS and he's now confusing it with Amateur.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I suspect you're right.

His conversation with the FCC was probably about FRS or GMRS and he's now confusing it with Amateur.
Except that the FCC would not call it "license free".

FRS and MURS are license by rule, and it's all spelled out in part 95. This means one is granted a license if they follow the rules as written, use only FRS/MURS certified equipment, and operate where authorized by those rules.

GMRS requires a license.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Except that the FCC would not call it "license free".

FRS and MURS are license by rule, and it's all spelled out in part 95. This means one is granted a license if they follow the rules as written, use only FRS/MURS certified equipment, and operate where authorized by those rules.

GMRS requires a license.

As well as the Part 15 stuff. Even the dumbest of engineers at the FCC would know what Part 15 is.

k6cpo

Here's my take on this. The OP is a foreigner looking to visit the US and he has no license to operate here. He's inquiring about what frequencies he can use without a license while he's visiting here.

TomLine

why I cant ask on 2 forums?
FRS radios may be your best bet. No license, and frequencies are the same in all states. " Notarubicon " on youtube has some good videos. Never said who you're going to talk to? CB might be good for you too. Lots of helpful people on channel 6 these days. Do they have that in your country?

G7RUX

As well as the Part 15 stuff. Even the dumbest of engineers at the FCC would know what Part 15 is.
Being an RF engineer but not familiar with the US FCC regulations, my reading suggests to me that "Part 15" looks like it is intended to cover the sort of commercially-available devices that one can buy in the shops but may or may not use or generate RF in their operation; so if I understand this corrdctly, cordless phones, weather sensors, garage door openers, electric welders, etc would fall under this?

Status
Not open for further replies.