• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Improper Channel Spacing

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know any tricks to getting RPM 14 to accept an 800 Meg control channel in 6.25 KHz spacing? I get an "improper channel spacing message" when trying to enter say 851.21875 versus 851.2185. Hoping there is an easy workaround, but couldn't find anything in my searches here or elsewhere. Thanks!

merlin

Do you have 'NSPAC' ticked ? un-tic that.
--default channel IDEN set--
In the IDEN SETS group make sure your base frequencies are set right. (851.00625 -45.00000 and 6.25 Khz channel spacing. 12.500 Khz bandwidth. And FDMA FULL RATE.)
That works for me anyway.

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
NPSPAC disabled and IDEN table is 100% correct. Still unable to enter a 6.25 KHz frequency without getting an error. Interestingly, I get the same error when attempting to add a conventional frequency as well.

1679239926157.png

merlin

Can you make your set scope local.
Also check the offset for the frequency you are entering.

merlin

A good question: where are you getting 851.21875 as a control channel frequency ?

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
That was just a conventional frequency for illustrative purposes. Actual CC is 857.21875. Wondering if there is a way to crack open the global sets list to edit the freq manually so the software doesn’t have a chance to touch it…

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Could the radio be too old to support any frequency out of the ordinary?

Last edited:

cg

Premium Subscriber
There are no FCC licenses for that frequency. There are no RR database entries for that frequency. Perhaps the agency you are programming to monitor can help you with it.

a417

U+0000
Wondering if there is a way to crack open the global sets list to edit the freq manually so the software doesn’t have a chance to touch it
ahhh..no.

You'd likely be the only one on that frequency, and no one would here you. (actually, considering how close .21875 vs .2185 in your example are - you might hear some of it) , I'm leaning towards you having the incorrect information for that system.

I'd verify either with the system operator/contact what the frequency is, or present the correct listing in the RR DB so we can figure out what frequency you're really supposed to be on.

There is a hacky sort of way to use the "close but not exact" frequency when you are using NFM splinter channels on older WFM hardware, where you would program in the closest correct frequency and then listen in wideband mode - you would hear most of the conversation, and it would usually sound terrible - but it kind of worked, but not in this case.

Last edited:

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback - someone had asked me if I knew how to add that spacing so figured I would reach out to the broader group since I couldn't figure it out. Everything works great on my G5 and SDS scanners, so probably a matter of outdated equipment on his end.

merlin

That was just a conventional frequency for illustrative purposes. Actual CC is 857.21875. Wondering if there is a way to crack open the global sets list to edit the freq manually so the software doesn’t have a chance to touch it…
You can edit the IDEN sets. Global sets you edit setting up your system. You can always start over and do it different. the 857.21875 would be a good CC and should be no problem with 6.25 Khz spacing.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Not to throw a wet blanket on the "that's not a valid frequency!" party, but the data for the system he's referencing (NJICS 39A) is 100% accurate. The state has started to incorporate 6.25 kHz 800 MHz channels at some sites. No, they're not actually licensed for those center frequencies, but they are licensed for the nearest 12.5 kHz center frequency in most cases. APX CPS accepts them with no issue.

K2NEC

I'm also not quite sure why you are trying to TX on 851.21875. That should be in the RX box. Unless you get the same error in the RX box too...
My XG75m doesn't like any of the higher end 85x.xxxx on NJICS either. Probably worth an upgrade