LCRA Wilson County

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ok, checking my BCFY Calls Node, I've seen the following:

16537 A Wilson County Fire/EMS Paging Channel. Paged out a brush fire to 4208 CR 401 and Engine 51 responded. Also a set of paging test tones for "District One" - there was also a patch to a VHF channel up at one point on this talkgroup with the 99xxxxx uid.

16551 referred to as Wilson County EMS-1

tkowalik

Banned
Ok, checking my BCFY Calls Node, I've seen the following:

16537 A Wilson County Fire/EMS Paging Channel. Paged out a brush fire to 4208 CR 401 and Engine 51 responded. Also a set of paging test tones for "District One" - there was also a patch to a VHF channel up at one point on this talkgroup with the 99xxxxx uid.

16551 referred to as Wilson County EMS-1

16537 has been silent since they went live on Monday. 16538 WC Alarm has taken its place.

16502 was just referred to as SO West which doesn’t make geographic sense to me (so I’m going to call it south). Therefore 16501 must be SO East.

16547 was referred to as Fire 1 last week during a structure fire. And correct, 16551 was referred to as EMS 1 yesterday.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the copied Guadalupe County SO. Their dispatch channels are broken down into West and East. Also, the LVPD channel was probably an officer testing out his new radio and was on a channel probably a tac or open channel that was labeled for the agency.

tkowalik

Banned
Sounds like the copied Guadalupe County SO. Their dispatch channels are broken down into West and East. Also, the LVPD channel was probably an officer testing out his new radio and was on a channel probably a tac or open channel that was labeled for the agency.
Looking like a Tac channel.

tkowalik

Banned
Looks like the 1652XX are SO second channels. I’ve got about 100 RIDs confirmed and they are affiliating in groups but haven’t heard traffic.

tkowalik

Banned
16555 looks like an encrypted ESD1 channel, not much of a surprise there. I could be wrong but given the RIDs, it suggests it. Doesn’t surprise me.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if any of the dreaded E would show up. LCRA seems to follow a somewhat standard protocol in recent years with new subscribers joining, especially for a county that dispatches most agencies in a county(from an LCRA radio guy). A primary LE channel or two. A secondary, talk/tac channels for individual agencies, 1-3 or 1-5 ops channels, FD and EMS primary, Fireground channels, and a couple of encrypted channels for each agency to use at their discretion unless they request encryption on primary channels.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
16555 looks like an encrypted ESD1 channel, not much of a surprise there. I could be wrong but given the RIDs, it suggests it. Doesn’t surprise me.
If it’s a private channel for non emergency comms no real biggie, but tactical/fireground/command is retarded. They always point to HIPAA regardless of the truth.

tkowalik

Banned
I was wondering if any of the dreaded E would show up. LCRA seems to follow a somewhat standard protocol in recent years with new subscribers joining, especially for a county that dispatches most agencies in a county(from an LCRA radio guy). A primary LE channel or two. A secondary, talk/tac channels for individual agencies, 1-3 or 1-5 ops channels, FD and EMS primary, Fireground channels, and a couple of encrypted channels for each agency to use at their discretion unless they request encryption on primary channels.
Doesn’t bode well for interops because I don’t see this KeyID on any other group. Like rattler said, could just be a private channel which is not a big deal.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I love the fact that Wilson County is moving to the LCRA system, and I actually hope that Comal County does the same instead of trying to deploy their own VHF trunked system like they said they had planned to do.

But, I'm just going to go ahead come right out and say that an ESD in a small rural county running encryption is ridiculous and complete waste of tax dollars on subscriber hardware. And I wouldn't be surprised if the LCRA charges a greater monthly feed for encryption, but that's speculation on my part.

Who's the chief of Wilson County ESD1? Someone should be legit asking some questions to this person.

it's not like these guys don't have cell phones and if the ESD chief needs to talk to one of his volunteer guys about something private he can pick up the phone and call the dude. It's almost 99% going to be drama related anyway. VFDs and ESDs are full of that stuff.

tkowalik

Banned
I love the fact that Wilson County is moving to the LCRA system, and I actually hope that Comal County does the same instead of trying to deploy their own VHF trunked system like they said they had planned to do.

But, I'm just going to go ahead come right out and say that an ESD in a small rural county running encryption is ridiculous and complete waste of tax dollars on subscriber hardware. And I wouldn't be surprised if the LCRA charges a greater monthly feed for encryption, but that's speculation on my part.

Who's the chief of Wilson County ESD1? Someone should be legit asking some questions to this person.

it's not like these guys don't have cell phones and if the ESD chief needs to talk to one of his volunteer guys about something private he can pick up the phone and call the dude. It's almost 99% going to be drama related anyway. VFDs and ESDs are full of that stuff.

My friend, I could write a story about the waste of tax payer dollars by ESDs in Wilson County and about the current ESD chief. But I’m going hold my tongue and focus on the real progress.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I doubt it for Comal anyhow, since Kerr Co is going to GATRRS also. We are in that weird crossover zone where two major systems share territory north of 1604 and both are expansion minded. I think GATRRS properly deployed with VHF is the better play within the hill country, but both are great systems and LCRA is already invested heavily into TDMA whereas GATRRS hasn’t even begun.

tkowalik

Banned
I doubt it for Comal anyhow, since Kerr Co is going to GATRRS also. We are in that weird crossover zone where two major systems share territory north of 1604 and both are expansion minded. I think GATRRS properly deployed with VHF is the better play within the hill country, but both are great systems and LCRA is already invested heavily into TDMA whereas GATRRS hasn’t even begun.
Rattler, isn’t Comal about a million over budget and 2 years past deadline? I haven’t paid attention to them.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Rattler, isn’t Comal about a million over budget and 2 years past deadline? I haven’t paid attention to them.
I haven’t either, I’d have to go down the commissioner’s court rabbit hole like I did with Kerr sometime and see. There are folks here that are more in the know on Comal that may chime in but better on that thread. Back to Wilson Co, I don’t know much about how long this has been in the works but it seems to be moving along rather well. Speaks well for LCRA as their rollouts here and in Guadalupe and Gonzales have gone quickly with the infrastructure and implementation over the last few years.

tkowalik

Banned
I haven’t either, I’d have to go down the commissioner’s court rabbit hole like I did with Kerr sometime and see. There are folks here that are more in the know on Comal that may chime in but better on that thread. Back to Wilson Co, I don’t know much about how long this has been in the works but it seems to be moving along rather well. Speaks well for LCRA as their rollouts here and in Guadalupe and Gonzales have gone quickly with the infrastructure and implementation over the last few years.
The coverage is stunning. Drove around a lot today and it’s unreal. Best thing that could have ever happened.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
The coverage is stunning. Drove around a lot today and it’s unreal. Best thing that could have ever happened.
I went to see some family between Floresville and Poth on Sunday. Drove around for a while also and had zero issues with the signal. I was using my Unication gG5 with a stubby antenna, and it site roamed without zero issues. I am sure the officers and deputies like the peace of mind they can run their handhelds almost anywhere in the county and outside without reception issues.

tkowalik

Banned
I went to see some family between Floresville and Poth on Sunday. Drove around for a while also and had zero issues with the signal. I was using my Unication gG5 with a stubby antenna, and it site roamed without zero issues. I am sure the officers and deputies like the peace of mind they can run their handhelds almost anywhere in the county and outside without reception issues.
The rollout and coverage seems flawless. They’ve done an outstanding job.

tkowalik

Banned
Has anyone heard Stockdale fire? I’ve only heard one tone out but no radios. I’ve heard Poth and Three Oaks more which seems odd.