• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Firmware Just Released 1.34

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
UNICATION just released a new firmware, V1.34, that includes tone detect. Tone detect works after updating FW and when activating it through PPS V0.3.16.29F.

Screenshot 2023-03-23 13.31.18.png

tkowalik

Banned
One issue already noticed is when tones are received, it displays Announcement instead of the group alias on P25T.

And priority TG list overriding non-priority isn’t fixed.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
One issue already noticed is when tones are received, it displays Announcement instead of the group alias on P25T.

And priority TG list overriding non-priority isn’t fixed.
Is that with 1.34 or an older version?

blackbelter

No mention of ability to monitor/ Scan multiple systems with this new FW. I believe that is by design.

blackbelter

I reverted back. Seemed to break more than it fixed from my experience.
What specific breaking areas are you experiencing ? I don’t use the tones thus the upgrade may not apply to me however reference
to “ addressing some under the hood” may. I must admit that I am a bit concern that according to the FW publication, this FW will fix “Numerous Bugs”. What specific bugs are we talking about?

Last edited:

tkowalik

Banned
Aside from the priority and Announcement issues, I saw some tones not even come through but voice comes through and sometimes tones come through but voice doesn’t. Also showing full signal but broken voice and sometimes missed comms altogether.

This was on Harris systems. Bexar had outages today but I was testing on LCRA.

tkowalik

Banned
All in all, seems like on trunking we’ve been going backward. Need to bring the ability to opt out of stacked tones which would enable voice record on warble tones (like in my YouTube video), bring back priority override, and maybe add 2 tone decode. The audio is slightly better today than a few years ago but it’s not worth sacrificing those abilities. I wish I could revert FW back to 4 years ago.

That’s just my take.

tkowalik

Banned
Using V1.34 and PPS 3.16.29F does add tone decode. Look in D-7 Step 1 all the way at the bottom, check Digital Tone Detect.
You’re correct. However, the features lost to gain that ability are not worth having that option. I don’t want two tone detect to have “Announcement” fill up a mailbox.

Give me FW from 4 years ago along with digital tone detect, and we have the perfect FW.

tkowalik

Banned
This was, at one time, a viable option to expensive radios but I just don’t see it as a viable public safety option anymore.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Two Tone Detect workaround. For those that desire to know tone pair in use on a TG try this.

Set TG in PPS to record. Select monitor. Install APP Radio ID on iPhone. Playback two tone pair, decode on APP. Been perfect for me setting up TDMA/FDMA paging.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Two Tone Detect workaround. For those that desire to know tone pair in use on a TG try this.

Set TG in PPS to record. Select monitor. Install APP Radio ID on iPhone. Playback two tone pair, decode on APP. Been perfect for me setting up TDMA/FDMA paging.
I think I did a similar technique when I added these P25 tones to the wiki.

NJFireD1

You’re correct. However, the features lost to gain that ability are not worth having that option. I don’t want two tone detect to have “Announcement” fill up a mailbox.

Give me FW from 4 years ago along with digital tone detect, and we have the perfect FW.
What features have been lost?

tkowalik

Banned
What features have been lost?
A priority TG overriding an active non priority TG.

The ability to record a full transmission after priority tones (or warble tones). I think what’s going on here is the length of A tone and B tone being a minimum of 200ms each. I bet if you could change it to 50ms it would solve that problem.

The ability for TGs to override another TG when a sub group option is enabled but alternatives is not. For example, say you want to monitor TG 1, 2, 3 and TG 4 is an auto dispatcher that you only want to hear when one particular set of tones goes out. TG 1, 2, and 3 will not pass traffic if TG 4 is transmitting any traffic. So it gives the appearance of missing traffic because TG 1 has traffic but the pager is silent because TG 4 started a dispatch, but not the right tones, before TG 1 keyed up. Goes back to the ability to override certain TGs.

These features used to work, but they do not anymore.