Lakewood NJ Fire 1/2 (p25) 3/23

shorecapt

Johnny G
Hoping someone can help. I was able to receive Lakewood NJ fire about 10 miles away but since they switched to 453.125 (p25) I get them hit and miss. Sds100. I tried entering them as a single p25 channel and also a regular p25 entry. The listing in the database states channel 1/2 but on 1 frequency. I entered NAC and also left in on search. When I do catch them it's loud and clear but it's very rare to catch them. I can't figure out why. Thanks for any help/suggestions

bigray246

I had the same issue in Toms River, I had to install a discone antenna in my attic. My best advise is to install a good quility outside antenna with hign quility cable. P25 sucks!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
P25 has nothing to do with the range. If it were analog using the same hardware, it would be mostly static and not very enjoyable. What has happened over the past two decades is that as older radio systems are replaced, there is a tighter control over RF blasting out in all directions at high power. Everything is more focused now with more realistic power output. Yes, that happened to coincide with agencies switching to digital modulation, but even if they had remained analog, reception of those signals outside of the intended coverage area would've suffered. If a move was made from VHF to UHF or higher bands, well...even less coverage outside of the primary area.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well, it looks like they're simulcasting 453.125 at relatively low power, so I would expect most of that RF energy to remain within their intended coverage area. I get that it's frustrating that it's not blasting out 20 miles away like it used to, but that's progress for ya.

Lakewoods band stayed the same. But their range for analog was farther and had better coverage then the current digital system.
I used to get signal from long branch with analog. Now i cant even get signal past RT37 TR. LFD downgraded, along with Lakewood EMS.

scannersnstuff

You probably know this,but just to clarify. Long Branch fire is now dispatched off of Monmouth County north 154.205, and operates on the trs as LAN <Long Branch,Asbury,Neptune> talkgroup. The vhf system and the trs were both susceptible to simulcast distortion. I am not an authority, so,if anyone has something to add,please do so.

CastorLB

Premium Subscriber
You probably know this,but just to clarify. Long Branch fire is now dispatched off of Monmouth County north 154.205, and operates on the trs as LAN <Long Branch,Asbury,Neptune> talkgroup. The vhf system and the trs were both susceptible to simulcast distortion. I am not an authority, so,if anyone has something to add,please do so.
think he was saying he could pick up Lakewood while in Long Branch he wasn’t referencing listening to Long Branch.