West Seneca is going to Saia Net

Rabid716

That is the least expensive way, but it will have a huge learning curve for many.
I'm stuck at the basics already. I can't seem to figure out if one or two RTL-SDRs would be needed for Saia monitoring due to the control channel.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I'm stuck at the basics already. I can't seem to figure out if one or two RTL-SDRs would be needed for Saia monitoring due to the control channel.
I think one would suffice as it it a small relatively low traffic system.

Trbogeek

Premium Subscriber
While I'm not 100% confident about it, and @weweber1991 would probably be more in tune with it all, an FD in that town that I'm aware of recently upgraded to APX 6000s, so that would cut short their return on investment of that expensive upgrade. IMO, switching from an APX6k to an XPR would not be an "upgrade", radio speaking.
What does the APX bring to the table, running analog? It can only perform as well as the system its on. Pretty expensive knobs.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
What does the APX bring to the table, running analog? It can only perform as well as the system its on. Pretty expensive knobs.
The APX 6000/8000 are objectively more rugged than any of the XPR portables. They also have noticeably louder audio coming out of the speaker, especially at full volume. And the XE500 speaker mic is more rugged than any XPR offering, as it was designed for the fireground. Yes yes I know, it's all overpriced junk, right? MSI does get some things right once in a while, perhaps in spite of the inflated price tag once you make something P25 capable.

Rabid716

Has anyone heard anything on WS Fire dispatch at all today? Analog 423.9875... they're not supposed to be on Saianet right? Either a quiet today or something's up.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Have you turned up an XPR all the way? The audio sucks. Turn up an APX all the way, it's still crystal clear. Because firegrounds aren't loud environments that might need that right? Those "really expensive knobs", you know, the ones that really click and don't just easily spin like the XPRs do, are on a radio that's ergonomics are extremely beneficial for that gloved firefighter to use, potentially in a life-and-death situation. So, I'm gonna say those "really expensive knobs" offset the life of a firefighter, but hey, that's just my opinion. I was speaking of physical radio characteristics. Not specific to DMR. Not specific to P25. Not specific to SaiaNet. Same reason why I believe the NX5300 isn't "the best option" for firefighter use. Hands down, PHYSICALLY speaking, the APX line of radios (4000 and up) are probably the best radios for firefighters to have on the market

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Having a UID list makes it easier to track "unknown" or new TGs. You can see who is using that TG just by RID/UIDs.
Unless your sitting there watching DSDPlus live, pretty sure the radio file only logs/displays the last place the radio was where as Unitrunker keeps a complete history of radio affiliations, denials and voice grants.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I can't seem to figure out if one or two RTL-SDRs would be needed for Saia monitoring due to the control channel.

I think one would suffice as it it a small relatively low traffic system.
Generally, that is determined by the span of the freqs on the site, not how much traffic there is. In this case, the OP should be able to use one dongle as the Seneca One freqs are tight, all 424.xxxx and not over the 2.4mhz limit. On P25, FMP24 monitors the cc and when there is a voice grant, it leaves the cc and tunes to the voice channel. I am almost positive it works the same with DMR.

k2hz

Database Admin
Unication requires factory installed DMR upgrade. You would need to check with Unication for details. May not support Con+.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
ok , will check on unication upgrade , thanks for all replies .
As I stated, the Unication G Series pagers are not capable of decoding MOTOTRBO Connect Plus systems. None of the devices you mentioned are capable of decoding SaiaNet. You'll have to find something else that is.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Unless your sitting there watching DSDPlus live, pretty sure the radio file only logs/displays the last place the radio was where as Unitrunker keeps a complete history of radio affiliations, denials and voice grants.
I usually have DSDPlus running when I'm sitting at my computer. I have three screens, I push DSD over to one and use the other two for whatever I'm actually using the computer for, and occasionally glance over at it and see what's going on. 99% of the TG's are locked out, plus all the Private Calls. I don't play with UT much

lkas

Anyone hearing a residual broadcast from another dept/agency on west seneca feed? It seems when west seneca pd is done with the transmission sometimes i pickup another conversation. I am only monitoring the seneca site and west seneca pd talkgroup