• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD782 U(2) firmware upgrade path

dcathxt

Hello,

I recently acquired a bunch of MD782 U(2) radios from a school district; I build low budget racecar radio setups for hobbyists.

Many of these radios have very old versions of firmware (some are V4.5) and I'd like to get them up to a more current version so I don't have to constantly install/uninstall different versions of the CPS to program them, maintain different program files, etc. The issue i'm having is that if you don't choose the right firmware upgrade path, it seems as though the firmware application won't even recognize that the radio is connected.

I have the 5.05.14.004 firmware upgrade but it won't seem to recognize the V4.5 radio. I have a similar problem upgrading from V7 firmware as well. I've had success going from V8 to V9.

It seems as though I'm either doing something wrong or there are a bunch more intermediate versions of the firmware that I don't have. I'd love to get them all to V9 of the firmware for commonality purposes.

Please note - I am not asking for free firmware. Being that this is a discontinued radio, I don't know how to get it legally from Hytera - I would love some advice if i'm wrong on that as well. I'm just not sure if my problem is that I have the wrong firmware.

Has anyone experienced this that can offer some advice?

0xFF1E071F

You have to find a compatible version of upgrader. Hytera upgraders DOES NOT work like this: one upgrader upgrades from any version to related version, NO! They work like: "I can firmware upgrade from this low version to this upper version"; e.g 6 to 8 or 8.0 to 8.5

That means you have to upgrade several times if you want them full updated.

BTW I am surprised that upgrader v5.05.14.004 did not see your radio

radioopperator

Feed Provider
Do you have the right programming cable? You have to have the one with the built in switch! I have the next version up and it goes down to like ver 4.0

dcathxt

Yes I have gotten all they have.. however they don't seem to have all of them.
Also having trouble going from 8.01.03.005 to 9.02.03.005. I don't have anything in between.

dcathxt

This shows my issue - I have the radio plugged in via USB and I have the programming cable switched to 'DL'. I've also tried with it switched to CPS and a programming cable without the switch altogether. The software seems to be in chinese but I think the dropdown would list the COM port if it was recognized.

Any further tips?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-27 003400.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-04-27 003400.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 25

Expat2017

This shows my issue - I have the radio plugged in via USB and I have the programming cable switched to 'DL'. I've also tried with it switched to CPS and a programming cable without the switch altogether. The software seems to be in chinese but I think the dropdown would list the COM port if it was recognized.

Any further tips?
Capture.PNG

Click on these two chinese characters. It shouls give you a drop down box allowing you to switch the firmware upgrade to English.

Plug the programming cable in to both your computer and MD782. Then turn it on. You should be in firmware upgrade mode. Red led on nothing else I think from memory.

You should be able to select a programming port and really mess up your radio.