BC796D: Uniden Bearcat TrunkTracker IV (BC796D) Phase 2 receiving.

RATA2E

Extremely new radio operator here, I recently received the radio in the title from my grandfather and have been experimenting with it for about 3 days. when i started i knew absolutely nothing about radio and i quite frankly still don't, but using the information ive gathered from my other technical skills ive gotten the hang of the super basics. I am interested in monitoring city activities but it appears my county has gone full phase 2. I have the APCO P25 card in the expansion slot and was curious about whether or not my radio can receive phase 2. there was on old thread from 2008 or so about the same question and the answer has wildly changed as at the time there was only one radio on the market that could receive digital phase 2 transmissions (PSR-800 [with firmware upgrade])

Also is this radio re-bandable? that was in the thread as well, i have no idea if its still true or even openly supported at all.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
. I have the APCO P25 card in the expansion slot and was curious about whether or not my radio can receive phase 2.

Also is this radio re-bandable? that was in the thread as well, i have no idea if its still true or even openly supported at all.
No to Phase-II, yes to rebandable. At minimum you'll need a TDMA scanner on this list for Phase-II. Strongly recommend a Uniden SDS100 (handheld) or SDS200 (base) if said Phase-II system is simulcast (most are these days). Welcome to the RR forums

lbashaw

Just a brief mention....make sure the entities that you want to listen to are not enrypted (verifyable on RadioReference). If they are, there is no (legal) scanner yet capable of receiving encrypted signals.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Even if the entities you want to monitor are on a Phase II system, or encrypted, there is still stuff to hear! Welcome to the hobby...

tvengr

Well Known Member
Cochise County, Sierra Vista at the moment!
All of the talkgroups on the Cochise County trunked system are P25 Phase 2 and cannot be monitored using a BC796D. In addition, all of the frequencies on all of the sites are 700 MHz which your scanner will not accept. You will receive an error message if you try to enter any of the frequencies. All of the trunked systems in your area are P25 Phase 2, DMR, or use 700 MHz frequencies with the exception of Fort Huachuca. Fort Huachuca uses 408-410 MHz federal government frequencies which the BC796D supports. I believe you will be able to receive that system but you may need to enter a band plan to do it.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
The BC796 won't accept P25 offset values, only the older Type II ranges. It may work with the default bandplan, although I wouldn't hold my breath.

I have the handheld version, the BC296D, and it works alright for conventional P25. It looks like Benson and Bisbee PD are clear to receive, Douglas PD is encrypted. Also, it works good for analog scanning. There's more to listen to than just public safety, you can listen to local businesses, utilities, airports, GMRS, and lots more.