TRX-1E and TRX-2E EZ Scan and FW update available

HiD092

@Whistler_Support I found a bug in firmware 7.4. The Flexstep function is not working. I tried to program a conv freq 143.1600 but it is stored as 143.59375.
This doesn't happen in firmware 7.1.

Ubbe

I am wondering about, HOW the h.... do i turn off MUTE in SCANNER CONTROLL for TRX-1 / TRX-2?
It's just an indicator of when the DSP are decoding a digital signal or an analog signal. It actually only unmutes if the digital signal have voice information. So it's not a control but a visual indicator of a state in the scanner.

Whistler_Support

Whistler Representative
Premium Subscriber
@Whistler_Support I found a bug in firmware 7.4. The Flexstep function is not working. I tried to program a conv freq 143.1600 but it is stored as 143.59375.
This doesn't happen in firmware 7.1.
Please inform me what country you have selected.
After updating to version 7.4, did you perform a Reset to factory Values to remap the EEPROM?

MarkRegul

Question about software partitioning Trunked Radio System.
Tell me why in the Site list in the site No. works searches among frequencies the Site No. for dmr, nxdn, but for Project25 he sees only one carrier information frequency.
If you enter two or more frequencies in the Site No. list of frequencies, it works only with the first frequency in the Site No. list.

Last edited:

Ubbe

Question about software partitioning Trunked Radio System.
Tell me why in the Site list in the site No. works searches among frequencies the Site No. for dmr, nxdn, but for Project25 he sees only one carrier information frequency.
If you enter two or more frequencies in the Site No. list of frequencies, it works only with the first frequency in the Site No. list.
It's because in DMR and NXDN it is searching the voice channels and not using the control channel and needs all of them to be entered in the site list.

In P25 it is doing trunk tracking from the control channel and doesn't use any voice channels so the site list should only have control channels, the primary and secondary, and it will take the first valid control channel and use that for the site. If you have several control channels for different sites you will have to program each one in their own site. There can only be one working control channel for a site in a P25 system.

/Ubbe

Whistler_Support

Whistler Representative
Premium Subscriber
I use UK.
No, I haven't reset factory. How to reset?
I will report the results.
Press Menu
Go to Program Menu and press SEL
Press SEL again when on Global Settings
Go to Default Vals, press SEL, Menu, SEL

Go to Bandplan and select UK

When you have flexstep enabled, the steps of 6.125, 10, 12.5, 20, 25, and 50 will be cut in half.
Step sizes of 2.5, 5, 7.5, and 8.33 will remain unchanged

HiD092

Press Menu
Go to Program Menu and press SEL
Press SEL again when on Global Settings
Go to Default Vals, press SEL, Menu, SEL

Go to Bandplan and select UK

When you have flexstep enabled, the steps of 6.125, 10, 12.5, 20, 25, and 50 will be cut in half.
Step sizes of 2.5, 5, 7.5, and 8.33 will remain unchanged
Still not working.
In previous fw, i able to save 143.320.

Here's the video:

Ubbe

In previous fw, i able to save 143.320.
Whoever informed Whistler about the UK bandplan stated 6,25KHz steps for 138.000 to 219MHz. Your 143.31875 frequency are 1.25Khz too low but even with flexstep it will do 3.125KHz steps and can't hit exactly at 143.320MHz.

Are you sure you want to monitor 143.320MHz as it seems to be an illegal frequency in UK? Have you checked the databases of OFCOM and WTR if the frequency are valid to be used?

My Whistler scanner are actually 1KHz off in frequency, and my Uniden 1Khz off in the other direction. Scanners aren't that accurate in its frequency tuning. But it is annoying if the frequency on the display isn't showing what you want.

I stated lots of band segments to Whistler for the Sweden bandplan so if you are sure that for example 143.000 to 143.990 always use 20KHz steps then ask Whistler to add that segment to the UK bandplan. Using flexstep will then allow 10KHz steps to be used.

/Ubbe

HiD092

Whoever informed Whistler about the UK bandplan stated 6,25KHz steps for 138.000 to 219MHz. Your 143.31875 frequency are 1.25Khz too low but even with flexstep it will do 3.125KHz steps and can't hit exactly at 143.320MHz.

Are you sure you want to monitor 143.320MHz as it seems to be an illegal frequency in UK? Have you checked the databases of OFCOM and WTR if the frequency are valid to be used?

My Whistler scanner are actually 1KHz off in frequency, and my Uniden 1Khz off in the other direction. Scanners aren't that accurate in its frequency tuning. But it is annoying if the frequency on the display isn't showing what you want.

I stated lots of band segments to Whistler for the Sweden bandplan so if you are sure that for example 143.000 to 143.990 always use 20KHz steps then ask Whistler to add that segment to the UK bandplan. Using flexstep will then allow 10KHz steps to be used.

/Ubbe
I lived in Indonesia but use UK bandplan, because that's the nearest one.
And yes, in firmware 7.1, you can add a conv frequency 143.320, exactly as you type.

Please see my video below

Last edited:

Ubbe

Ask whistler_support for the document that you fill in with the bandplan you want. They seem very helpful to add new country configurations.
Just try and get hold of any official document that states Indonesias frequency bandplans, or if that are not available then use whatever knowledge you have about the frequencies you have monitored. They can always be fine tuned for the next firmware upgrade.

/Ubbe

Whistler_Support

Whistler Representative
Premium Subscriber
And yes, in firmware 7.1, you can add a conv frequency 143.320, exactly as you type.

Please see my video below
All earlier versions of Flexstep (USA and E versions) prior to 7.4 allowed for FlexStep data entry in steps of 1.25kHz however the unit was tuning to the closest step from the bandplan to the frequency that was entered. Your version 7.1 data entry of 143.32 was in text only as the radio was tuning to the closest step from the bandplan being 143.31875

Changes to version 7.4 allow the unit to tune a half-step for select steps, that equates to half the bandplan step. Invalid frequencies entered will round up or round down to the closest available frequency. In this case, 143.32 will still round down to 143.31875 as this is the closest available frequency from the bandplan with or without Flexstep.

Ubbe

Why does this error appear when I close the program?
There can not be two slashes after each other in a Windows file system, \\TRX-1e.ini
Something has happened to the installation. Let your current installation be in place but install EZ-Scan again and state another install folder, perhaps TRX-1e_fix. If you can read the scanner and then close the program without errors then use the new installation.

/Ubbe

Remon

Found bugs:

U/VHF AM predefined service search is set to NFM by default. At least in Netherlands band plan. This can only be changed to AM in the scanner menu (not in the software). This needs to be repeated every time you write data to the scanner. Also, a better name would be VHF/UHF AIR (or VHF/UHF AIRBAND).

Motorola BP (Basic Privacy) encryption is not muted while encrypted audio is set to silent. Tested while receiving encrypted users on a plain Motorola repeater. No fancy capacity plus or connect plus. I need to mention it used RAS.

Feature request:

Add option to reset skipped frequencies/channels on power cycle.

Whistler_Support

Whistler Representative
Premium Subscriber
Found bugs:

U/VHF AM predefined service search is set to NFM by default. At least in Netherlands band plan. This can only be changed to AM in the scanner menu (not in the software). This needs to be repeated every time you write data to the scanner. Also, a better name would be VHF/UHF AIR (or VHF/UHF AIRBAND).

Motorola BP (Basic Privacy) encryption is not muted while encrypted audio is set to silent. Tested while receiving encrypted users on a plain Motorola repeater. No fancy capacity plus or connect plus. I need to mention it used RAS.

Feature request:

Add option to reset skipped frequencies/channels on power cycle.

Please reset the Factory Value Setting after updating to Ver 7.4 as the memory locations will need to be written over to match the new locations.

Ubbe

For the PMR446 service search there's no setting for AGC or audio boost. The audio level from a DMR transmission are very low.
What's the purpose of a 01A channel and a 01D channel that has the same frequency and DMR are decoded fully from both channels?
@Whistler_Support

/Ubbe

Whistler_Support

Whistler Representative
Premium Subscriber
The channel number followed by A was intended for Analog only (ignore digital)
The channel number followed by D was intended for Digital only (ignore analog)

I have not had a chance to double check this but I suppose it is possible the A will allow Analog and Digital and the D will allow Digital and Analog.

As search was intended to find frequencies of interest that would then become entered in the Scan profile, some features such as AGC and Audio Boost were not included in the Service Search but are accessible once these systems are entered into the Scan profile.

Ubbe

The channel number followed by A was intended for Analog only (ignore digital)
The channel number followed by D was intended for Digital only (ignore analog)
Yes, that was how it was explained to me but both analog and digital are now monitored from both A and D channels, so there's no way to only search digital or only analog.

TRX scanners have no lift of the audio level for NFM channels, as most other scanners do, its just a change of filter from FM to NFM. So both the analog audio and for some reason also the decoded digital are very low in level in NFM mode.

/Ubbe