Marine WLO/Shipcom WLO Tel Ch 824

Saint

Premium Subscriber
8788 KHz USB Picked up a female voice giving out a weather statement on this frequency, don't know if this was WLO Tel Ch 824 or not. I thought they went out of business, could be wrong.
Steve

swl2022

I picked up a female giving out a marine forecast today between 2000-2100 UTC on 8788. This forecast was 18 minutes in length. Since then, I have heard some tones and a female announcing I believe to be a station ID, but it is hard to fully understand it.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I think in between voice broadcast, they use ALE, hence the tones.
I do pick up ALE Soundings on 8773 KHz USB, have not decoded the soundings to see who it is, I can't remember if I have picked up any soundings on the 8788 USB frequency, Several times I hear the women's voice on the frequency giving out the weather statement
Steve.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't think they would be ALE tones, more likely a SELCALL test, but I haven't had much luck hearing them as yet. They're not on all the time, and maybe off for the holiday...Mike

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I picked up 8788 KHz USB WLO Telephone CH-824, I did a Youtube Video of it, not the best audio. The other time I found this the audio was really strong.
Steve

merlin

I caught a little stuff fro WLO last night and other than a small bit of Selcall, is sounds like they simulcast time signals from NBS.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Any updates on WLO? I been having a hard time finding WLO or I missed the time and frequency posted in this thread.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
They don't seem to have a specific schedule, it appears to be catch as catch can. 8788 Khz is the frequency in USB mode. We've had some solar storms over the last couple of days that is dying down, so conditions should begin to improve

Mike

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Any updates on WLO? I been having a hard time finding WLO or I missed the time and frequency posted in this thread.https://wiki.robotz.com/index.php?title=WLO
Any updates on WLO? I been having a hard time finding WLO or I missed the time and frequency posted in this thread.

merlin

WLO does keep a time scheduel, the link supplied by Saint sums it up.
The link seems current for the most part.
I am into KMI/KPH also, anything out of Point Rayes with CW in mind.

Last edited:

merlin

You want a complete and comprehensive list of all ITU and SHORTWAVE stations globally, from ELF to 30 Mhz, try the folowing link. (this list is huge) You want either ??? -A23 file.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
WLO does keep a time scheduel, the link supplied by Saint sums it up.
Merlin no it is not up-to-date. Last update 2016. 2 years before WLO went silent.
Needs an entire overhaul with new information.

1684940328263.png

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
I heard a marine forecast broadcasted at 1500z for 6 minutes with WLO identification at the end of the broadcast. At 1530z I heard a very short transmission. All transmissions sounds like they begin with a SELCAL like bell tones. Very easy on the ears. Very unique for WLO.

These times are not the same as published articles with WLO's old schedule.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
I parked my Tecsun PL-330 on 8788usb all day today. Even through the deep long fades and at around 7pm cdt local the signal improved nicely. I was able to figure out a schedule even through the mid-day deep long fades.

Every hour of the day as observed:
:00 Maritime forecast
:15 identified
:30 identified
:45 identified

Announced in robotic female voice. Each transmission begins with a SELCAL like bell tones.

Global HF Maritime System from WLO transmitter in Coden, Alabama. It does state an additional callsign I still have to try to understand. It is not the cleareast audio.