Buying A New Scanner

lls207

Premium Subscriber
Hi;
I know each individual has his own beliefs which scanner is better.
I currently have a Whistler TRX-1 scanner. I live in Los Angeles. The TRX-1 has not worked as well as I thought it would. I’ve had it for three years.
So, the reason for my post is that I am going to buy a new scanner. I’m not sure if I should wait until a new model comes on the marker or buy, maybe an SDS 100 or an SDS 200. Or something else.
I would appreciate any advise.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hi;
I know each individual has his own beliefs which scanner is better.
I currently have a Whistler TRX-1 scanner. I live in Los Angeles. The TRX-1 has not worked as well as I thought it would. I’ve had it for three years.
So, the reason for my post is that I am going to buy a new scanner. I’m not sure if I should wait until a new model comes on the marker or buy, maybe an SDS 100 or an SDS 200. Or something else.
I would appreciate any advise.

First, this is a question better asked in the California forum so you can get answers directly from those in the area who monitor the agencies you will be. If you do decide to do that, please do not start a new thread, just click on report and ask for your post to be moved. Double posting is discouraged on RR Forums.
Second, it is unlikely we will be seeing any new models in the near future (or distant future for that matter) until new radio technologies make it necessary. But one never knows.
Finally, a TRX-1 is at the top of the heap feature-wise as far as Whistler goes, the next step up would be the SDS scanners, unless you are able to use a SDR dongle or Unication pager.

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
I would buy the Unication dual band G5 in either VHF/700/800 or UHF-2/700/800. I use my UHF-2/700/800 everyday. I have all kinds of scanners and Moto's and I use my G5 instead of everything since those receiver are so sensitive and works absolutely amazing.

lls207

Premium Subscriber
I would buy the Unication dual band G5 in either VHF/700/800 or UHF-2/700/800. I use my UHF-2/700/800 everyday. I have all kinds of scanners and Moto's and I use my G5 instead of everything since those receiver are so sensitive and works absolutely amazing.
How are they programmed? I went to their site. A lot of radios are out of stock. Can I transmit and receive?

Eng74

First thing what do you want to listen to in the LA area? That will help determine what you should spend your money on.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
What they said. Can you clarify "has not worked as well"? If you're talking about analog systems sounding scratchy/noisy, that's one kind of problem, which can be relatively easy to fix. If you're not hearing anything you want to hear, that can be anything from programming to many agencies having encrypted their traffic, which you will never be able to hear.

lls207

Premium Subscriber
Well I mean the radio traffics coming out of the speaker isn’t clear. I’m in Los Angeles.
I had a Motorola MTS2000 when I was a Paramedic. It is hard not to compare the sound coming out of the Motorola vs the WHISTLER TRX-1. I think one problem is I need an external antenna with top of the line coax.