• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What are Unication pagers intended for?

Hi all,
never ever heard of Unication pager’s before I started using RR 6 months ago. What were their initial use.
I don’t think they were bought to the market for comm’s enthusiasts but more for EMS workers so they can keep a ear on what’s happening at home.
Maybe for part time or volunteer’s EMS workers aswell.
Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Back when the earth was still cooling and us volunteer firefighters were riding dinosaurs to fires, we carried pagers (or, sorry, "tone receivers") which were parked on the one analog frequency our department used, and had physical plug-in pieces that were tuned to our specific alerting tones. These worked beautifully for the purpose for which they were designed, and many of them lasted for dozens of years (though as with everything, more than once I was handed a pager that a firefighter had managed to break or drown, despite their near-indestructibility). As technology advanced, so did the pagers, with programmable software-defined alert detection and etc., though the later ones paled in comparison to the original devices.

When trunking came along and fire departments started migrating to those systems, firefighters (and EMS, rescue squad, search and rescue, and others that used the tech, as you suggested in your post) started asking manufacturers to develop a 'trunking pager'. The response was invariably 'yeah yeah, we're working on it, you'll see it at the trade show next year, it's gonna be great'. Same thing was said over and over year after year, and continued when digital comms began coming to the fore. The old pagers, even the latest versions, were only good for analog 'conventional' (non-trunked) channels - to the point where even today, some agencies specifically maintain an analog conventional channel for alerting, which may or may not be patched to their trunked system.

Unication were the ones who finally developed a 'pager' that followed a trunking system. They still basically do the same thing - they listen to a radio channel for a specific set of tones, and alert the user when those tones go off, and play (and/or record for later playback) the audio that immediately follows the tones. As you say, they weren't intended for scanner hobbyists, but they are a relatively less expensive option for monitoring a digital trunk system compared to the modern scanners which will cost much more.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Back when the earth was still cooling and us volunteer firefighters were riding dinosaurs to fires, we carried pagers (or, sorry, "tone receivers") which were parked on the one analog frequency our department used, and had physical plug-in pieces that were tuned to our specific alerting tones. These worked beautifully for the purpose for which they were designed, and many of them lasted for dozens of years (though as with everything, more than once I was handed a pager that a firefighter had managed to break or drown, despite their near-indestructibility). As technology advanced, so did the pagers, with programmable software-defined alert detection and etc., though the later ones paled in comparison to the original devices.

When trunking came along and fire departments started migrating to those systems, firefighters (and EMS, rescue squad, search and rescue, and others that used the tech, as you suggested in your post) started asking manufacturers to develop a 'trunking pager'. The response was invariably 'yeah yeah, we're working on it, you'll see it at the trade show next year, it's gonna be great'. Same thing was said over and over year after year, and continued when digital comms began coming to the fore. The old pagers, even the latest versions, were only good for analog 'conventional' (non-trunked) channels - to the point where even today, some agencies specifically maintain an analog conventional channel for alerting, which may or may not be patched to their trunked system.

Unication were the ones who finally developed a 'pager' that followed a trunking system. They still basically do the same thing - they listen to a radio channel for a specific set of tones, and alert the user when those tones go off, and play (and/or record for later playback) the audio that immediately follows the tones. As you say, they weren't intended for scanner hobbyists, but they are a relatively less expensive option for monitoring a digital trunk system compared to the modern scanners which will cost much more.
Beautifully written, description, Jay 911!

The only thing I'd disagree with is your comment that Unication pagers are "a relatively less expensive option for monitoring a digital trunk system compared to the modern scanners which will cost much more."

In my experience, Unication pagers (at least, the G-Series) are more expensive than other modern scanners.

I'd also add that linear simulcast modulation (LSM) was one of the issues that made them very popular among scanner hobbyists. The only consumer-grade scanners that can reliably receive LSM transmissions are Uniden's SDS-100 and SDS-200 models. The Unication pagers excel in that field.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

jabbeaux

Back when the earth was still cooling and us volunteer firefighters were riding dinosaurs to fires, we carried pagers (or, sorry, "tone receivers") which were parked on the one analog frequency
Ah yes, I recall it well. That period was just after the fire and brimstone age, when we listened to the intervals of the horns then could "decode" the horn intervals using little notebooks to give a little info on the alarm.

Ah, a time when men were men, horses pulled steam engines, and "emergency lighting" meant a lantern with red glass.

peteymcsweety

I would put unication pagers as best monitor of simulcast systems and yes even better than uniden sds100 and 200 so you would think that scanner manufacturers would get on board with unication and make a radio that would satisfy the hobbists needs....

Even Motorola proposes Unication pagers for some of their system bids when P25 paging is desired.
I know the Unication pagers are IP-67 water and dust proof, not sure about fully Mil-Spec? Actually if you changed the Unication emblem to Motorola, many wouldn’t even know the difference.
IMG_1984.jpeg
I just reread Jay911’s comment which is second comment from the top and noticed under his name’s description it has Silent Key (April 15th 2023), so his passing is 14 days after his comment. I want to say by going on what he wrote in his original comment it shows Jay was a character. I didn’t know the man only through RR comments. VALE Jay and thank you. R.I.P. Sir.

Last edited:

tkowalik

Banned
In some cases, Unication Pagers are used by civilians to test whether or not they are a viable, cheaper alternative to wasting taxpayer dollars on radios that cost 10x what the ‘standard’ costs.

Put that one in your notes.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
In some cases, Unication Pagers are used by civilians to test whether or not they are a viable, cheaper alternative to wasting taxpayer dollars on radios that cost 10x what the ‘standard’ costs.

Put that one in your notes.
How is that even possible?

The Unication Pagers, of which I have the G3 and G5 for work, are not radios. They do not do the same thing as a radio, they are only one-way, inbound, receivers. They cannot in any way replace a "standard" two-way radio.

N6ML

How is that even possible?

The Unication Pagers, of which I have the G3 and G5 for work, are not radios. They do not do the same thing as a radio, they are only one-way, inbound, receivers. They cannot in any way replace a "standard" two-way radio.

Well they *are* radios. They are not *transceivers*.

Some personel don't need to transmit - they just need to be made aware that an incident has occurred, so they can respond (possibly picking up a transceiver from a station after they travel there from home, etc.).

sefrischling

Well they *are* radios. They are not *transceivers*.

Some personel don't need to transmit - they just need to be made aware that an incident has occurred, so they can respond (possibly picking up a transceiver from a station after they travel there from home, etc.).

The comment above is "Unication Pagers are used by civilians to test whether or not they are a viable, cheaper alternative to wasting taxpayer dollars on radios that cost 10x what the ‘standard’ costs."

... what civilians are testing the Unications to see if they are a cheaper alternative to wasting taxpayer dollars? This whole statement makes no sense. Are the civilians on some town's commission? Are there civilians seeking to take over a public safety agency's communications? What is the baseline for testing? What is the end use of the unit?
In my department we have pagers, they are for alerting, they can in no way replace the ‘standard’ radio, as is referenced above.

N6ML

Don't know about the civilian part of the statement - indeed that doesn't seem to make much sense. I was more focused on the assertion that pagers are not radios, which is a matter of terminology.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Even with P25 a lot of analog paging systems get upgraded and installed every year.....At least on the east coast its still a big thing with volunteers and some career folks.

sefrischling

Even with P25 a lot of analog paging systems get upgraded and installed every year.....At least on the east coast its still a big thing with volunteers and some career folks.
My department is a combination department, as we transition to P25 Phase II within the next year we'll keep VHF analog for paging. The rough plan is to keep conventional in place for about 5 years, of course that can change, but the cost of switching and replacing all the pagers is just too much up front.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Very common in the NCR to retain VHF analog paging even though virtually all radio systems are 7/800 trunked simulcast, and almost all are some flavor of P25.