• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NXDN with Motorola AXS dispatch and Kenwood NXR-810 repeater

766keith

I work for a police department, and we are looking to make the switch from analog to digital. Our 911 center currently operates the newest version of the Motorola AXS system. We are in the process of purchasing Kenwood digital radios currently. I have searched for ways to integrate NXDN into the Motorola AXS system but I am coming up with nothing. I know there has to be a way to do this, I just don't know how. Any advice on what equipment or software is needed to make this application work would be greatly appreciated.

Another question, we are purchasing the Kenwood NXR-810 repeater. I have been looking at the KTI-3 attachment to give the repeater IP capability, what I am having a hard time finding is what ways this unit can be configured. Generally, it looks like it is used to link with other 810's but what we would like to do is put the repeater in the middle of our small city to provide coverage to field radios. We would like to use the LAN connection to provide an IP link directly to the AXS console which is several miles outside the city. Is this a practical application for the KTI-3? Thanks for your help.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm not sure you can do an IP link between that console and the KTI-3. There isn't that level of standardization in the industry.

Easy way to do this is to use a tone remote link from the console direct to the repeater. That -is- an industry standard and is easily done with a number of different products, including products that will easily do it over IP.

I have an older Zetron console system that didn't support NXDN, so we used a couple of NX-800 mobiles mounted in a rack with CSI tone remote interfaces to the console.

766keith

I'm not sure you can do an IP link between that console and the KTI-3. There isn't that level of standardization in the industry.

Easy way to do this is to use a tone remote link from the console direct to the repeater. That -is- an industry standard and is easily done with a number of different products, including products that will easily do it over IP.

I have an older Zetron console system that didn't support NXDN, so we used a couple of NX-800 mobiles mounted in a rack with CSI tone remote interfaces to the console.
Do you have anything on this you could send me? I am not very knowledgeable in this realm.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Do you have anything on this you could send me? I am not very knowledgeable in this realm.

It would be very complex and some of the products I'm using no longer are available.
Your best option is to engage with a reputable radio shop that is not tied to one manufacturer.
The 2 wire or 4 wire analog audio interface is standard amongst the industry. The Motorola console will support it, so will the Kenwood repeater. It's a fairly simple solution, however it requires a fair amount of knowledge and test equipment to properly set up.

A product like this would be suitable:
There are other manufactures and options, so work with a shop that understands the needs.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Being AXIS isn't that old I'd talk to your team that installed it and see what options are out there to interface to it. As @mmckenna said any radio can be interfaced to a tone remote adapter but you wont get any of the functions of NXDN (Radio ID, Emergency or other NXDN Features) across the TRA. It will be TX/RX only.

hp8920

The industry standard, for everything not P25, is RoIP BSI, a modified version of the SIP protocol used for VoIP. There are numerous bridges for PTT/audio, Motorola sells the MOTOBRIDGE gateway unit, the NXU-2B is what Kenwood seems to push, and Icom has the VE-PG4.

(If you had a P25 system, you would make the two talk to each other via CSSI/DFSI)

Last edited: