More ham enforcement

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
It's time for the FCC to issue a subclass on a license, that being referred to as 'Technician [Conditional]', 'General [Conditional]', and 'Amateur Extra' [Conditional] to those who have been served a notice of forfeiture and or a notice of violation of regulations within the Amateur Radio Service. The purpose of this subclass of license would be to easily withdraw an operator's license and privileges, up to and including forever, for serious and or repeated violations of the Amateur regulations.

The period of the conditional license should run 10 years from the date of the Notice of Violation or last Notice of Violation in the case of multiple violations and should not be negotiable for a reduction in time or severity. If a license expires with in that time frame, it should be carried forward until the ten year period has been served without ANY subsequent notice of violation. It should also make obtaining another license in any other service impossible until the Conditional term is served without violations. No GMRS, No land mobile, etc.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The purpose of this subclass of license would be to easily withdraw an operator's license and privileges, up to and including forever, for serious and or repeated violations of the Amateur regulations.
I don't think that the lack of a license will stop these violators from transmitting. Do you?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Long past time for an equipment seizure. Start collecting radios from these lids and auction them off.

I agree, however they'll just run out and buy some $14 Baofengs and get right back on the air.

Hams need to learn to have some integrity. Other hams need to figure out a way to make sure losers like Philip Beaudet N6PJB get the message in such a way that they will never forget the lesson.

I think there needs to be a "Ham wall of shame" where guys like this have their name, call sign and photo posted for all to see. Anyone searching on their name or call sign needs to have that pop up as the first web search result. If the FCC isn't going to do it, and the gutless ARRL isn't going to do it, someone does.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber

I don't think that the lack of a license will stop these violators from transmitting. Do you?

Considering that murder has been illegal for millennia and the number of victims in cemeteries, no. However, laws are to deter the rational majority and not the delusional insane.

I personally think that people wanting to buy amateur radio gear such as transceivers should be required to show a valid license during purchase of that gear. No valid license? No sale.

American society has recently tried decriminalization and it has brought about far worse consequences than inconvenience and property losses among businesses.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider

Considering that murder has been illegal for millennia and the number of victims in cemeteries, no. However, laws are to deter the rational majority and not the delusional insane.

I personally think that people wanting to buy amateur radio gear such as transceivers should be required to show a valid license during purchase of that gear. No valid license? No sale.

American society has recently tried decriminalization and it has brought about far worse consequences than inconvenience and property losses among businesses.
When I bought my HTX-202 from Radio Shack (after 6 months on layaway) I was required to give them a copy of my license. I'll be honest not sure when they stopped requiring that but being amazon sells thousands a day I dont see it happening.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Jeff Bezos only cares about increasing sales, not what illegal activities may be conducted with the products he sells. Amazon is not a single sourced seller either. Many smaller retailers sell under the Amazon branded website as well. Expecting them to adopt a moral code for their sales is not realistic.

Sadly, it would have to be the FCC or another government agency that would mandate conditions of sales, oversight and auditing, as well as enforcement.

As far as CCRs, prohibit importation altogether. We, as a hobby, still can't be trusted with a 800 MHz receiver that can listen into analog signals that are no longer broadcast by Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, etc., but we can buy cheap portable radios that can transmit on PS/EMS/MIL frequencies and emit all kinds of spurious emissions that can interfere with critical work, as well as other services. There's no predicate logic there, eh?

I have no sympathy whatsoever for licensed operators or unlicensed jerks who get on the bands to broadcast music outside of the broadcast bands, conduct illegal jamming operations against legitimate operators, who pretend to be a deranged Rush Limbaugh and spew unhinged soliloquies about the conspiracies that are rooted in their damaged minds, launch obscene tirades against others trying to enjoy a proper QSO, etc.

The Commission should every so often turn on every DF receiver they have and flood certain regions where these denizens are known to reside and hammer the heck out of these RF clowns with every legal option at their disposal, including civil forfeiture of gear.

Laughing ! :ROFLMAO:
You guys are all being such Gentlemen!
............. You play by the Rules and are expecting some sort of Marquis of Queensberry outcome.

These clowns don't play by no stinking rules !.... and the FCC has no teeth.

What is needed is what we do around where I came from- we go "pay a visit" to the miscreant.
Today I like to utilize the services of my old East Coast friends at Joey Walnuts and Associates, LLC

(I usually ask that they send their ace trouble shooters-- Jimmy the Chin and Bruno Four Fingers)

Awesome results at reasonable prices !
No paper work either!

Just tell'um "Coyote sent me" - (use my name and get a 20% discount for first time customers)

Lauri

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Jeff Bezos only cares about increasing sales, not what illegal activities may be conducted with the products he sells.

I was researching some wireless microphones the other day on Amazon, and was surprised to see a notice that talked about some needing FCC registration/licensing depending on band/power level. I've never seen that anywhere else on Amazon, and no reason it could not be added to two way radios.

As you said, it would cut into someones profits, and that's not allowed...

As far as CCRs, prohibit importation altogether.

The issues is that the FCC type certification process is flawed. They tried to do it right, but apparently do not have the staffing.

The other issue is that the Chinese do not give a flying flip about U.S. rules/laws and they know that most of the people buying these radiating turds don't either. They know how to get them in the door disguised as "amateur radios". Thanks to the ARRL and it's idiotic "when all else fails" B.S., we have hamwhackers that now think they are public safety professionals.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for licensed operators

Like I said earlier, amateur radio has a bit of an integrity issue. The last few enforcement actions out of the FCC in regards to amateur radio were for people that were lacking in integrity and common sense.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No paper work either!

Just tell'um "Coyote sent me" - (use my name and get a 20% discount for first time customers)

Lauri

Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap.

Excellent point though, especially about the Marquis of Queensberry rules.

It's hard to watch a hobby that we enjoy get tarnished by a few. I'd challenge hams to be more active in urging these individuals to find a new form of entertainment.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Its far easier to legally own a gun than to operate a radio transmitter in the US. We should be handing out those $24,000 fines to people brandishing weapons.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Laughing ! :ROFLMAO:
You guys are all being such Gentlemen!
............. You play by the Rules and are expecting some sort of Marquis of Queensberry outcome.

These clowns don't play by no stinking rules !.... and the FCC has no teeth.

What is needed is what we do around where I came from- we go "pay a visit" to the miscreant.
Today I like to utilize the services of my old East Coast friends at Joey Walnuts and Associates, LLC

(I usually ask that they send their ace trouble shooters-- Jimmy the Chin and Bruno Four Fingers)

No paper work either!

View attachment 142802

Lauri

God I loved that show. A murder here and there and some heartbreaking modern world realities for the old school thugs.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Its far easier to legally own a gun than to operate a radio transmitter in the US. We should be handing out those $24,000 fines to people brandishing weapons.

To legally purchase a firearm from a dealer, one must present a valid state issued DL or ID card, a state issued CWP/CCL or undergo a NCIC background check that if it has ambiguities in it - there is a five day waiting period, and one must fill out a BATFE form 4473 in which any inaccuracies or false statements are Federal felonies.

All anyone needs at HRO, DX Engineering, or Gigaparts is cash, check, money order, or credit card [that too can be falsified]. The FCC generally doesn't care one whit who buys transmitters. How hard is it to plug in a transceiver and operate a hand mike like Andy Griffith in 'No Time for Sergeants'?

bharvey2

It's time for the FCC to issue a subclass on a license, that being referred to as 'Technician [Conditional]', 'General [Conditional]', and 'Amateur Extra' [Conditional] to those who have been served a notice of forfeiture and or a notice of violation of regulations within the Amateur Radio Service. The purpose of this subclass of license would be to easily withdraw an operator's license and privileges, up to and including forever, for serious and or repeated violations of the Amateur regulations.

If the FCC is not going to enforce the rules, then just treat it as they do the free for all, anything goes CB band and call it a day. If an operator is guilty of a hardware failure that causes unintentional interference or fails to adhere to some administrative procedures I see room for leniency. When some knucklehead makes a point of causing problems for others, creating a special license class because the FCC is "DOUBLE EXTRA SERIOUS" that you need to follow the rules this time just seems like encouraging bad behavior.

hp8920

This guys QRZ page says "I've been licensed since 1962." He's been a ham longer than most of you. Graduated licensing or background checks or whatever aren't going to affect these situations.

The likely root cause, as often happens, is dementia. Somebody needs to take his radios away, and in a broader sense, somebody needs to be assigned a guardianship and make these decisions.

RFI-EMI-GUY

To legally purchase a firearm from a dealer, one must present a valid state issued DL or ID card, a state issued CWP/CCL or undergo a NCIC background check that if it has ambiguities in it - there is a five day waiting period, and one must fill out a BATFE form 4473 in which any inaccuracies or false statements are Federal felonies.

All anyone needs at HRO, DX Engineering, or Gigaparts is cash, check, money order, or credit card [that too can be falsified]. The FCC generally doesn't care one whit who buys transmitters. How hard is it to plug in a transceiver and operate a hand mike like Andy Griffith in 'No Time for Sergeants'?
Exactly; you can buy a gun legally and not take any qualifications testing whatsoever. To operate a Part 97 radio legally there are some minimum testing thresholds.