Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
With the ANG long gone from RIC, the best Richmond Area spotting is now 'Richmond Executive' airport in Chesterfield. Here are a few I caught on the way to work yesterday. Didn't get freq for the USMC training copter from Whiting, but the UH72A (VA ArNG 2/151 AVN) ID'ed as LEGEND 6. The Cessna 182 belongs to that outfit up around Manassas that's supposed to be an FBI front company. If you're ever in the area, Chesterfield has a rooftop observation area that's open during daylight hours.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Attachments

• IMG_3777.JPG
    IMG_3777.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3798.JPG
    IMG_3798.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3802.JPG
    IMG_3802.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3803.JPG
    IMG_3803.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 23

Tank67

Premium Subscriber
With the ANG long gone from RIC, the best Richmond Area spotting is now 'Richmond Executive' airport in Chesterfield. Here are a few I caught on the way to work yesterday. Didn't get freq for the USMC training copter from Whiting, but the UH72A (VA ArNG 2/151 AVN) ID'ed as LEGEND 6. The Cessna 182 belongs to that outfit up around Manassas that's supposed to be an FBI front company. If you're ever in the area, Chesterfield has a rooftop observation area that's open during daylight hours.

73/Allen (N4JRI)
Just your average Cessna with a FLIR camera on it

frank3si

The B-29 FIFI has just arrived in Reading PA for this weekend's WWII air events. I'm planning on driving up tomorrow or Saturday - I'd like to get some good in-flight distance shots with landing gear up in the Reading area if I can figure out which runway they'll be using on the multiple ride flights each morning...

FIFI.jpg

Mark

Premium Subscriber
From tape this morning 0836 local HAWK-21 flight of 2 level at 430 no joy on ZDC Ultra high 353.950.
Sounds like Mass ANG F-15's off Southbound for long trip.
Shortly after sounded like RAHM-01 FL410 flight of 3 Langley F-22's Northbound then later back to Langley 1304 local.
DEVIL-11 and SATAN-21 A/C F-16's were also up towards Duke MOA working at different times.
1339 local HAWK-41 at FL450 on ZDC UHF going down to FL310.. Fighters flying high up and down Coast the last 3 days.

Last edited:

frank3si

I mentioned I'm heading up to Reading to try to shoot the B-29 in flight, most likely tomorrow morning. I'll need to know what runway is being used, though. I've seen several people advise using METAR, which I found. However, I don't know how to interpret what I'm looking at. Reading is in the middle here, with a little hockey-stick-like indicator. I notice at another facility upper right the "blade" of the stick is longer. Can anyone provide a clue for clueless me? Thanks!

METARs.jpg

dmi

Premium Subscriber
I mentioned I'm heading up to Reading to try to shoot the B-29 in flight, most likely tomorrow morning. I'll need to know what runway is being used, though. I've seen several people advise using METAR, which I found. However, I don't know how to interpret what I'm looking at. Reading is in the middle here, with a little hockey-stick-like indicator. I notice at another facility upper right the "blade" of the stick is longer. Can anyone provide a clue for clueless me? Thanks!

View attachment 142850
It's a wind barb.

The stick points in the direction the winds are coming from. Each full barb represents 10 knots of wind. Each half barb represents 5 knots. In this case, you have winds from the NNW at 15 knots. If there are wind gusts, the number will be displayed at the end of the barb as G23 or gusts to 23 knots.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
AF-1 #92-9000 showing eastbound on way home from Colorado Springs over Kentucky..
Potus took a bad fall at the USAF Grad Ceremony....Ouch!

mdmonitor

The B-29 FIFI has just arrived in Reading PA for this weekend's WWII air events. I'm planning on driving up tomorrow or Saturday - I'd like to get some good in-flight distance shots with landing gear up in the Reading area if I can figure out which runway they'll be using on the multiple ride flights each morning...

View attachment 142833
1685656005024.png

frank3si

It's a wind barb.

The stick points in the direction the winds are coming from. Each full barb represents 10 knots of wind. Each half barb represents 5 knots. In this case, you have winds from the NNW at 15 knots. If there are wind gusts, the number will be displayed at the end of the barb as G23 or gusts to 23 knots.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge - filed away for permanent reference. I appreciate it!

mdmonitor

Guys

Posted on another list

ric5@earthlink.net <ric5@earthlink.net>

Thu, Jun 1 at 4:16 PM

MCAS Cherry Point receiving new F-35 jets as part of newest 5th generation fighter aircraft ..A total of 6 squadrons, or 60 F-35s will be arriving over the next few months. They are already and will be using the AV-8 UHF local tactical freqs. The total will be around 98 F-35s, will be stationed @ KNKT by 2025.

Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 542, 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing is set to receive new aircraft at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point. On Wednesday, the first of two F-35B Lightning II jets touched down at the air station, marking the beginning of F-35 deliveries. Watch links below. Let me know If you need any A/A F-35 local tac freqs.
Rick

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Guess we won't be seeing the OR ANG diking CAP duty anymore

Good news is that new F-15EX pilots will be eventually trained at Seymour Johnson :) Bit closer to us here.
Remember those F-15C guys chatting in CAP here a ways back talking about how the F-16 was only useful for CAP stuff
and unless you get future F-35 training or F-15EX training your flying career in USAF will be over soon..
They mentioned the line to get F-35 training was very long and hard to get into.

I see the McGuire VR-64 Condors replaced C-5M aircraft in recent Alaska exercise Northern Edge.

Last edited:

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
Good news is that new F-15EX pilots will be eventually trained at Seymour Johnson :) Bit closer to us here.
Remember those F-15C guys chatting in CAP here a ways back talking about how the F-16 was only useful for CAP stuff
and unless you get future F-35 training or F-15EX training your flying career in USAF will be over soon..
They mentioned the line to get F-35 training was very long and hard to get into.

I see the McGuire VR-64 Condors replaced C-5M aircraft in recent Alaska exercise Northern Edge.

I was excited to see the news as well. Being local I can’t wait to grab some photos whenever they start flying out of SJ.

The F35 news is great as well. I don’t make it down that way a lot but might have to make a special trip once they get a few more flying.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Looks like some of those Whiteman 442nd FW KC-Hawg A-10's are gonna try from Lajes to US today.
ROMA-65 KC-135 #58-0054 Pittsburgh will stop at Pease.Always a outside chance they could stop by Martin State.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.