ProScan: Understanding RRDB Differences

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
Need a bit of help. Finally figured out how to check my favorites in the scanner and compare it with the current RR database.

This test favorite file is old..from March 2023 so there should be differences.

This is a photo of the ProScan page I am having problems understanding.

IMG_3602.jpeg

If I select Execute Replace I don’t see anything change.

It took me a few days of getting frustrated and trying again, and I made it this far. Just need a shove in the right direction.

What is the next step? I assume the last step is writing to the scanner.

Thanks

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Need a bit of help. Finally figured out how to check my favorites in the scanner and compare it with the current RR database.

This test favorite file is old..from March 2023 so there should be differences.

This is a photo of the ProScan page I am having problems understanding.

View attachment 142815

If I select Execute Replace I don’t see anything change.

It took me a few days of getting frustrated and trying again, and I made it this far. Just need a shove in the right direction.

What is the next step? I assume the last step is writing to the scanner.

Thanks
On the 3rd grid (right side), scroll down to the bottom. If you don't see any rows in a different color then the RRDB and ProScan matches up perfectly and the Execute buttons won't do anything. I ran a 'Get Differences' on one of my systems just now and I see a new channel so in my case, I can use the 'Execute Add' or 'Execute All' to add the channel to my database.

{edit} If there are changes then you can take it case by case and determine which is valid. Write to the scanner if you make changes.

1685580021375.png

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the explanation. I loaded a database that was not in my favorites and see the difference now.

But that doesn’t explain why a STARCOM21 database from March compared to the most recent RR STARCOM21 database shows no differences.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the explanation. I loaded a database that was not in my favorites and see the difference now.

But that doesn’t explain why a STARCOM21 database from March compared to the most recent RR STARCOM21 database shows no differences.
While, undoubtedly, there have been changes in STARCOM21 since March, it may well be that none of those changes affected anything you have programmed, so ProScan is not going to flag those. Also, on trunked systems, quite often there are 'background" changes to parts of the database that make no change in what you have programmed. For example, a slight change in the details on a site, which do not apply to anything involved in how it should be set up.

For trunked, you can select the hamburger menu in the upper right, to get access to a list of what has changed recently.
1685659335317.png
That same process is also available forindividual counties, to see what has been modified.

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
I noticed that the tone squelch codes for repeaters differ from RepeaterBook quite often. I often find RepeaterBook the more reliable source for FCC amateur listening (GMRS and Ham) for Tx codes (typically no need for tone codes for Rx). Also, RepeaterBook is more up to date with repeater status and modes. GMRS is really starting to grow. Most new repeaters are GMRS these days.

I will accept any punishment for speaking the truth.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
While, undoubtedly, there have been changes in STARCOM21 since March, it may well be that none of those changes affected anything you have programmed, so ProScan is not going to flag those. Also, on trunked systems, quite often there are 'background" changes to parts of the database that make no change in what you have programmed. For example, a slight change in the details on a site, which do not apply to anything involved in how it should be set up.
Exactly.

I'll add that the RRDB Differences detects or should detect the following for additions, deletions, & changes.

Conventional frequencies
Frequency & tone (CTCSS, DCS, NAC, Color Code, or RAN/Area)

Trunking frequencies
Frequency & LCN, Color Code, & RAN/Area (depending on the system type)

Trunking TGIDs
TGID & TDMA Slot (depending on the system type)

Band Plans & Fleet Maps

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
While, undoubtedly, there have been changes in STARCOM21 since March, it may well be that none of those changes affected anything you have programmed, so ProScan is not going to flag those.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for explaining it.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I noticed that the tone squelch codes for repeaters differ from RepeaterBook quite often. I often find RepeaterBook the more reliable source for FCC amateur listening (GMRS and Ham) for Tx codes (typically no need for tone codes for Rx). Also, RepeaterBook is more up to date with repeater status and modes. GMRS is really starting to grow. Most new repeaters are GMRS these days.

I will accept any punishment for speaking the truth.
Wrong thread?