SDRPlay New RSP1a On the Way

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Hi, everyone!

On the way is my new RSP1a, a purchase from vendor Ham Radio Outlet. USPS said delivery date Monday June 5, 2023. Mail usually runs in the morning hours. This will be my first SDRPlay product. I have ever only had RTL-SDR's. This will feel like a step-up from RTL-SDR but I do feel like keeping my RTL-SDR's.

I usually have decoders that run with RTL-SDR. Now I need to explore options for an ADS-B decoder that runs with RSP1a. I understand that DSD+ Fastlane and SDRTrunk are compatible. I already have both software. With the better performance of the RSP1a I expect decodes to be "fuller".

I also like shortwave listening and decoding a few modes as well. From what I am hearing, SDR Uno has plug-ins that comes from community. Perhaps some digital decoder plug-ins are available or maybe some standalone decoder that can interface with the RSP1a. I have yet to do that research.

For clean operation what should one be doing at the first run after receiving a RSP1a? Any firmware updates?

dkcorlfla

Hi, everyone!

On the way is my new RSP1a, a purchase from vendor Ham Radio Outlet. USPS said delivery date Monday June 5, 2023. Mail usually runs in the morning hours. This will be my first SDRPlay product. I have ever only had RTL-SDR's. This will feel like a step-up from RTL-SDR but I do feel like keeping my RTL-SDR's.

I usually have decoders that run with RTL-SDR. Now I need to explore options for an ADS-B decoder that runs with RSP1a.
I run ADS-B using a standard RTL-SDR and use a dedicated 1090Mhz antenna with excellent results and I'm under some very busy airspace.
Save the RSP1A for HF and any VHF/UHF that may need the much better front end and filters it offers and just use one of your RTL-SDR's for the ADS-B stuff.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
For everyone who replied, thanks! Looks like RSP1a options are quite simple. Several decoders support it. Also, looks like updating firmware is not needed based on no available firmware in the download section at SDR Play website.

wgbecks

. I understand that DSD+ Fastlane and SDRTrunk are compatible.

AFIK, DSD+ Fastlane's FMPP 1.20 expects the SDRPlay version 3.7 AOI that is going to be a problem, especially if you're running
Windows-11 where you'd normally be expected to install the newer vesion 3.11 API.

Dirk_SDR

For everyone who replied, thanks! Looks like RSP1a options are quite simple. Several decoders support it. Also, looks like updating firmware is not needed based on no available firmware in the download section at SDR Play website.
There is no firmware for the RSP1A.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
An update to my OP.

My RSP1a has arrived. I have been playing with it because it is meant to be played with dubbing the name "SDRPlay". LOL! Well anyway wow. Nice difference coming from 8bit RTL-SDR to 14bit RSP1a. Weak signals are better. To be clear, my computer desk has noise. I placed my Tecsun over it and lost signals on HF. RSP1a got the same treatment. VHF and UHF is better. Signals sound fuller and cleaner. I enjoy the calibrate S-Meter.

I was curious to find out how my laptop will handle the RSP1a's full potential. I verified SDRuno is set to LIF not ZIF then slower cranked it up to 10msps slowly and watched SDR cpu usage. At 10msps it reached 16%. The laptop didn't even flinch. I probably ought not have it set to anything higher than 2msps for practical usage. I would have to zoom in anyway to be able to see what I signal I am clicking on.

I will need to purchase a MLA 30+ or something next month. Thankfully it has a Bias-T.
I am enjoying this little SDR.
Thanks for all of your replies.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
There is no firmware for the RSP1A.
Every SDR has firmware, it's what tells Windows & apps what the device is & its purpose. There are no firmware updates for the SDRPlay line per-se. Closest equivalent would probably be an API update which is found in the link I provided in post #2 & provides various feature improvements

Last edited:

Ubbe

Signals sound fuller and cleaner. I enjoy the calibrate S-Meter.
It's digital the whole way to the computer who then convert to analog. So no relation to the actual receiver, it's the decoder process in the computer that converts digital to analog that can have different type of audio depending of who had made the decoder. I feel the same thing listening to SDR Console that for me produce a better audio quality than SDR#.

For 1090 ADS-B I use RTL-SDR at full gain and a 1090 SAW filter and a 20dB gain amplifier that can be left at full blast when using that narrow SAW filter. Range increased a lot compared to no amplifier.

/Ubbe

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Enjoy your new RSP1A! It's a bit of a steep learning curve but definitely worth it in the end.

FYI - there is supposed to be new software from SDRPlay coming (relatively) soon. Sounds like it's a little behind schedule, but their website has more info.

Dirk_SDR

Every SDR has firmware, it's what tells Windows & apps what the device is & its purpose. There are no firmware updates for the SDRPlay line per-se. Closest equivalent would probably be an API update which is found in the link I provided in post #2 & provides various feature improvements
No, not true.
There is no uC on every SDR, that could be programmed with firmware.
Mostly there is some hardcoded hardware (USB or multi pupose chips) dealing with the protocols.