Alberta Sheriff Highway Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the freq s/ talk group # for the Alberta Sheriff Highway Patrol (near Calgary), are they using Talk group or conventional analog ?

Thanks!!

HDMechanic

The Alberta Sherrifs use TELUS Mobility iDEN for communication. They also use local RCMP channels as well. They are patched to the Calgary Digital Radio system as well but are in P25. You have to have a scanner that does P25 to listen to them.

avgas

I am in the Medicine Hat area and the only time you hear them on the RCMP channel is when they come on duty to let the RCMP what area they will be working or if a call comes in over the RCMP channel and they happen to be near by and try to assist. If for some reason they do need plate info they will have an RCMP officer run the plate for them and they will just monitor. They do not seem to talk to Reddeer control centre.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The Sheriffs only use the RCMP PACS radio to talk to the RCMP. If you are lucky enough to be in range of the Calgary trunk system you can hear both the courts guys and all the stuff on the MiKE radios - though the talkgroups have not been definitively IDed yet. Otherwise, you are unfortunately out of luck.

masonb

I find that their not that interesting to listen to.
Very boring stuff goes on.

Jay911

Feed Provider
When I listen to the traffic channel on 753f, it's mainly chatter about where they are and where they're going next, how one of them just nailed some guy for 85 in a 70 and he was livid, etc.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Well, this afternoon I heard a couple of Sheriffs discussing this thread. Seems they were surprised that people could listen. Of course, my question is, why shouldn’t people be allowed to listen to any Police, EMS, and Fire department? As taxpayers, we pay huge tax dollars to support these services. And as a citizen of Canada, I feel we have a right to hear what is going on in our community. The last time I looked we don’t live in a Police State like China. However, my paranoid side says that we are getting closer and closer to a Police State. I just wish anyone using a two way radio, cell phone would be professional about it, and not sound like real jerks. Most services I listen to are very professional, but every once in a while, someone comes on and I really wonder how they got their job. If I sounded like some of these people, I certainly wouldn’t be working long. I agree with Jay911 in that most things do not require encryption. But with some people trying to profit [illegally] from what is said over the air waves, as scanner listeners, I fear our days are numbered. And I don’t see 911 as an excuse for this secrecy. The more eyes and ears that can help these services, the better the world should be.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I am certain that law enforcement, public safety, and system admins browse the site. I know of several sysadmins and PS people who do. And years ago when I was a moderator for an email group for digital scanners, some subscriber email addresses were clearly from police organizations.

masonb

I bet their just surprised because its a moto mIke.

And I also find it interesting that the sheriff read & discussed this. I wonder how that played out in the office.

SCPD

QRT
Really?!?!

That alone is kind of odd. Is there a member on here that is a Sheriff or do they monitor this forum for some oddball reason??

I personally know.

Edmonton Police, Fire, Ambulance, RCMP Alberta K div. Alberta Sheriff's, IC, Calgary Police, Fire Ambulance. WCI, Glentel, West Can, Com Group Alberta, Motorola Canada, Tyco (Ma/Comm)
Alberta Solicitor General and Public Security Office, Service Alberta, WEM security, Intital Security, CB City. All media outlets Alberta wide, (Global, CTV, Corus......) Corrections Canada.......
Monitor this forum most likely to see what we know, or pretend to know.

In the case of the Alberta Solictor General office they were tipped off to this site because someone (me)posted links to documents related to the AFRRCS, some of those links posted are now dead or require you to login.

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
Calgary Fire and Calgary EMS members may be part of this site/forum as a means of learning how to program their scanners, etc., but I can say with reasonable certainty there is no outright 'monitoring' of this forum by either agency's administration. :lol:

I suspect it is the same with many if not most of the agencies you describe.

SCPD

QRT
Calgary Fire and Calgary EMS members may be part of this site/forum as a means of learning how to program their scanners, etc., but I can say with reasonable certainty there is no outright 'monitoring' of this forum by either agency's administration. :lol:

I know of a few administrators who outright monitor this forum and few others :lol: You don't have to be an active member to browse RR forums.

Others, as you say are casual browsers, means of learning to program their scanners…..

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
Never said you did have to be an active member..

But whatever you say, I guess.. I mean, how would I know what goes on in Calgary..

richster

Edmonton Police, Fire, Ambulance, RCMP Alberta K div. Alberta Sheriff's, IC, Calgary Police, Fire Ambulance. WCI, Glentel, West Can, Com Group Alberta, Motorola Canada, Tyco (Ma/Comm)
Alberta Solicitor General and Public Security Office, Service Alberta, WEM security, Intital Security, CB City. All media outlets Alberta wide, (Global, CTV, Corus......) Corrections Canada.......
Monitor this forum most likely to see what we know, or pretend to know.

Solicitor General! Oh that's rich..........

If I can be sarcastic here, I would like to convey a message to all those agencies listed above who "secretly" monitor this forum for what ever stupid reason. That is......"GET TO WORK!".

Oh ya you forgot CSIS brechtd......they, and all the others have got to keep tabs on you somehow ;).

Regards,
Richster.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Solicitor General! Oh that's rich..........

SolGen (aka SGPS now) is the leading agency for the Sheriffs as well as the AFRRCS project. Them I don't doubt visiting the site/forum.

I do have a hard time believing the concept of agencies performing overwatch on us, though. With all due respect, Alberta and the rest of the country is nowhere near like Edmonton in terms of police secrecy and (whether justifiably so or not) paranoid scanner listeners.

richster

SolGen (aka SGPS now) is the leading agency for the Sheriffs as well as the AFRRCS project. Them I don't doubt visiting the site/forum.

I do have a hard time believing the concept of agencies performing overwatch on us, though. With all due respect, Alberta and the rest of the country is nowhere near like Edmonton in terms of police secrecy and (whether justifiably so or not) paranoid scanner listeners.

Hi Jay,

Well if they do visit this forum form time to time, it's definately not for intelligence gathering. A good chuckle maybe.......but that's it.

In terms of screwed up Edmontonions, I do remember an incident a few years back about a reporter at a party being watched by police. That whole thing was a mess. It not only made the police and other similar agencies paranoid about being listened to, but it also made the public paranoid of the police. So as a result the police went PROVOICE, causing the public to be even more paranoid about police going-ons. Sad really.

Well I'm going to crawl under my rock. Oh yeah, SGPS......Get to work! There is stuff and things you should be doing, what ever you guys do.

Regards,
Richster.

omrail

all I can say is if there is any agency that is monitoring this site is. tell your members and staff to be mindful .

my opinion if you are not doing anything bad then what is the big deal that we are out there. maybe all the members that are on duty shouldn’t go to Tim hortons 2 or 3 times in a 10 hour shift at the same time. the Police agency and detachment will remain nameless.

electricsheep

Well, with a degree of certainty one of the reasons police in Edmonton in 2004, 05 (I think?! Gad, my memory is crap), went almost completely provoice digital and provoice encrypted (when they were almost completely clear EDACS) was because of "operational security" issues brought up by the Organizational Security section (who taken on this task, NOT the radio system admins) after seeing one too many web forum discussions. Not just here, but RIB, SS, all the other forums that were around. Believe me, the radio system admins are the ones who will NEVER speak of this sort of issue, because usually when it pops up it is a mistake they made...

We almost lost the ability to monitor ANY law enforcement comms in Edmonton, and this may still happen...

All it takes is one post discussing one talkgroup that someone screwed up and didn't set up right in the system and it can trigger a site wide communications security audit that may see a whole crap load of other groups be reclassified and disappear. Trust me, I have seen it happen.

I know the whole "discrete is elite" argument, and I hate it too, but you have to realize we are not only talking about drive thru ordering frequencies here, we are discussing some incredibly sensitive "protected B" or sometimes "protected C" (in police speak) level of access to some information here that the general public just IS NOT supposed to have access to.

Again, we are not to blame if we CAN monitor something you think is very unique or special, but IF you can, count yourself lucky (and a little bit geeky... heh), and don't make too much of a big deal about it... You might be able to monitor it a little bit longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.